Crudstock 2012 - yay or nay?

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Do I need to bring lube ?
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • MissBint37
    MissBint37 Posts: 1,503
    I would invite you all to my place for Sunday roast......but I am evil, so I'm not going to muahahaha :twisted:
    Ride it like you stole it!
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    Pudseyp wrote:
    Do I need to bring lube ?

EWOK-ANAL.jpg
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    no just use spittle, its just as effective.

Right I shall adjourn this post, go away and collate some information and I shall return in Semptember with a list of possibilities and prices.

Looking at biker friendly locations, I'd say I'll look into

Hope Valley/peaks- Current front runner but perhaps lacking in trail centre facilities for some liking

Afan - Great facilities, but a bit out of the way for a fair few

CYB - Good selection, but not the easiest of locations to get to for all

Whinlatter perhaps as an outsider? - Great trail centre and plenty of good natural riding nearby, Hellvellyn being an option as the epic ride for the nutters?

If anyone has any contacts for campsites or the like feel free to drop me a pm and I can follow them up, then we can go with a proper diplomatic vote on it.
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Hope Valley/peaks- No idea could be interesting

Afan - Local to me and shoot, lame boring trails

CYB - good variation in lengths of trails n so on and nice camping in the area.

Whinlatter perhaps as an outsider? - another no idea :)
  • Gazlar
    The big problem it seems is the whole group thing, and even if people are booking seperately, it would be kind of obvious we were a group
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    +1 for the peaks idea... great riding and a central location!
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    Gazlar wrote:
    The big problem it seems is the whole group thing, and even if people are booking seperately, it would be kind of obvious we were a group

Local scout camps? A lot of places hire out camping fields if you're not scouts/guides or whatever. That may require some degree of commitment from folks though as it'd probably be a book as a group in advance type thing. Or not, depends on the site I guess and how receptive they are to a dozen mountain bikers :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm in. Sheffield sounds good to me, but so does Wales. (obviously :lol: )

I should probably be the one to point out that since this is the CC, there will be loads of initial interest, but nobody will actually commit to anything and the weekend will amount to precisely fuckall.
    Yep, I know exactly what you mean. Mind you, this happened about 11 years ago. Only 4 of us turned up, but I made some good mates, and had one hell of a laugh.
    The sheer fact that so few actually turned up made it even funnier, I reckon.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Betws y Coed ?? loads of mixed riding from natural trails for the weirdy beardies and man made trails at Gwydyr Forest and Penmachno
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Gazlar
    See Betws i love, and the Marin i adore, but not so much for riding reasons, more because it was what first got me into mtbing when I was 14 (before giving up for 10 years) I also get on really well with the guy that runs one of the Hostels there, but, I dont think it offers quite enough in terms of easy camping to ride facilities and variation in level of trail, not when CYB is a stones throw away
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Anonymous
    Gazlar wrote:
    See Betws i love, and the Marin i adore, but not so much for riding reasons, more because it was what first got me into mtbing when I was 14 (before giving up for 10 years) I also get on really well with the guy that runs one of the Hostels there, but, I dont think it offers quite enough in terms of easy camping to ride facilities and variation in level of trail, not when CYB is a stones throw away
    Got to agree with that.
    There's some nice hotels in Betws. REALLY nice hotels. But they come with nice hotel prices, unfortunately.

I don't think we should be too concerned about picking somewhere that is accessible to all levels of rider. General trail-centre-ish levels of riding should be fine. After all, it's the crudcatcher meetup, not "I just bought my first bike for 50 quid, what should I upgrade first" meet up.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    and its not the
    "check me out i can ride at 20mph averge on the uphill"
  • Gazlar
    Fair point, what I meant was theres been a few mentions of epics and such and I just wanted to make sure that people remember that theres a good proportion on here that that may be a step too far. You've hit the nail on the head, yeah it's about riding, but its also more about the social side of it. I think you can get anyone round a red run in one piece, certainly anyone on here. What I really would like to aim at is something with a campsite where were not going to get bawled at for nattering past 10pm, where we can have a bbq and possibly a campfire and maybe gazebo etc, along with that somewhere where you can fall out of your tent the next morning, onto the trail and go out and ride.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Anonymous
    So, like the isle of Man, but for MTBers! :lol:
    I've recently been made aware that there's some "bothies" in Coed y Brenin (not brothels, sorry :cry: ) where you can crash out. It might be worth investigating that kind of accommodation as well, since it's, well... free. There must be some reliable way of searching for these things online by now.

Whilst it would be convenient for it to be in one of my "local" trailcentres, I'd actually prefer it to be further afield I think. I ride these places on an almost weekly basis, it's always nice to go further afield.
  • Gazlar

Whilst it would be convenient for it to be in one of my "local" trailcentres, I'd actually prefer it to be further afield I think. I ride these places on an almost weekly basis, it's always nice to go further afield.

Yeah I man I could have suggested Cannock Chase as its central, theres a campsite actually on it (albeit lacking real facilities) and the ridings pretty good, but as it is pretty central many bods have ridden there so its nice to go somewhere a bit different. I thought of somewhere like Dalbeattie, but its probably too far for some for a weekender. But yeah, if your going to camp out, its nice to go somewhere thats not on your regular radar or just too far to travel to and from comfortably in a single day
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    OK here is what I'd do... I used to run a motorbike event up here that drew about 60 people from all over, and it was a ballache to run but as cool as **** when people started arriving on the friday night and it all becomes worthwhile. And all the same problems apply, so...

Don't spend any of your own money, you won't get it all back
    Let people fend for themselves
    Camping is good but the campsite owner has to know there's a group coming or there'll be hell to pay. A fire pit is pretty much essential
    Don't coddle the weak... If someone's too stupid to work out how to get to the event and survive for 2 days, I don't care if they die
    Don't worry about details, just get the basics in.
    You can't please everyone, just please yourself and that way anyone who thinks like you do will be very happy and all the moaning c***s will be no more moany than they would have been anyway

And see for riding, don't go lowest common denominator, you can't have one route that pleases everyone so have it somewhere that'll allow splits. But at the end of the day it should be an event not just riding ov bikes, I've gone to motorbike events and just spent the whole day of the Official Big Important Ride getting sunburnt and pissed in the campsite.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Northwind wrote:
    getting sunburnt and pissed in the campsite.
    well that rules wales out?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Can also go to the mighty Wharncliffe. But if you are expecting cafes and manicured, well drained man made stuff, don't bother.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    supersonic wrote:
    cafes and manicured, well drained man made stuff.

you mean proper stuff surely?
  • Fully-sprung
    Fully-sprung Posts: 670
    Why the bloody hell would anybody ever want to meet you lot in real life? Talking to you over the internet is bad enough.
    "Youth's a mask, but it don't last
    live it long and live it fast."
    My dustcap topic:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forum/view ... &highlight
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Fully-sprung , I for one would like to meet you in person and as far as I'm aware no one is banned yet or wouldn't be really welcomed.

So come along you maybe surprised to never know we may stop taking the pi.. er no we wouldn't :lol:

It is the CrudCatcher what do you expect. It'll be a great event.
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Why the bloody hell would anybody ever want to meet you lot in real life? Talking to you over the internet is bad enough.
    Well when you leave school you'll understand that you dont see your mates everyday and get wound up in world called "work" then welcome escapes to meet new and exciting idiots like yourself is most welcomed.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • supersonic
    I can cater for a couple of riders if we go for Sheff. Tents in garden lol.
  • Fully-sprung
    Fully-sprung Posts: 670
    Richie63 wrote:
    Fully-sprung , I for one would like to meet you in person and as far as I'm aware no one is banned yet or wouldn't be really welcomed.
    Sarcasm?
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Well when you leave school you'll understand that you dont see your mates everyday and get wound up in world called "work" then welcome escapes to meet new and exciting idiots like yourself is most welcomed.
    - potato.
    "Youth's a mask, but it don't last
    live it long and live it fast."
    My dustcap topic:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forum/view ... &highlight
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    sarcasm?

No, not this time.
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Richie63 wrote:
    sarcasm?

No, not this time.
    Must be a pathetic existence when you suspect that someone saying they'd like to meet you is being sarcastic.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    As some people seem to be suggesting places near their house, I suggest everyone should come to the Isle of Man. You can crash at mine.
    The Isle of Man has electric and running water and everything now. It's cool as fark! :lol:
  • MissBint37
    MissBint37 Posts: 1,503
    supersonic wrote:
    I can cater for a couple of riders if we go for Sheff. Tents in garden lol.

I didn't know you could pitch tents on astro turf?!
    Ride it like you stole it!
  • supersonic
    Easily! You can punch holes straight through it!