Wiggins - well up for it!

2»

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Wiggins climbed well in the Dauphine and was better or at least equal to the riders listed above.

Contador is in a league of his own though. Just behind Chris Horner.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    cougie wrote:

Why is everyone so hung up on Horner? What Gilbert did in the Ardennes craps all over what Horner did in California.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Why is everyone so hung up on Horner? What Gilbert did in the Ardennes craps all over what Horner did in California.

It's scarcastic, I think, due to Horner saying “with the exception of Alberto Contador I don’t think there’s anyone that can drop me.”
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I hope Wiggins does well.

His form was pretty good at the Dauphine and Jalabert commented that he 'looked' in too good shape too early and that Evans was in the right place for him. That being said, Wiggins didnt look to go too deep - not much out of the saddle, ball busting efforts to regain contact, just churning. As I pointed out, remove his TT and he wouldnt have won.

VDB is going very well and is not afraid. Hoping he does well also.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

It's scarcastic, I think, due to Horner saying “with the exception of Alberto Contador I don’t think there’s anyone that can drop me.”

Ahhh, yes. Forgot about that. Too much real world and not enough forum for me I think
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    VDB is going very well and is not afraid. Hoping he does well also.

Odd style out of cycling kit...

264468_10150281665816614_618356613_9153944_8132496_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Best t-shirt ever. After this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Three- ... B002DGFYFA

(Read the reviews.)
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    afx237vi wrote:

(Read the reviews.)

:lol::lol:
  • RichN95.
    afx237vi wrote:

(Read the reviews.)

Sometime last year, a friend of mine, who does a lot a printing, including the occasional T-shirt, had some spare T-shirts that he didn't want hanging around, so he offered them to us and said he'd do some simple letter printing on them if we wanted.

As a result, after thinking of the daftest thing I could, I now have two of these: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/dhts.jpg/

(Please ignore the pattern on my ironing board)
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    RichN95 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

(Read the reviews.)

Sometime last year, a friend of mine, who does a lot a printing, including the occasional T-shirt, had some spare T-shirts that he didn't want hanging around, so he offered them to us and said he'd do some simple letter printing on them if we wanted.

As a result, after thinking of the daftest thing I could, I now have two of these: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/dhts.jpg/

(Please ignore the pattern on my ironing board)

:lol: The font's too interesting. The original is so much more 'no frills'!

DirkHofmanMotorhomes.jpg
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Going on previous form, Wiggins is not a major tour podium contender. He hasn't got what it takes, period. He's another Cadel Evans or Jan Ulrich; a flash in the pan!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    Going on previous form, Wiggins is not a major tour podium contender. He hasn't got what it takes, period. He's another Cadel Evans or Jan Ulrich; a flash in the pan!

While you might be right about Wiggins... Jan Ullrich? 6 TdF podiums plus the win in 97? Plus a Vuelta...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493

last I looked evans and ulrich both have plenty of major tour podiums already.....so what you have just written is utter sh1te and contradicts itself.

edit: aren't you also the guy who said "cavendish hasn't done anything yet"

showing some real insight here aren't you!
  • z0rT10ok
    z0rT10ok Posts: 23
    Much as I'd love to see Wiggins (or any other Sky rider) finishing in the top ten I can't see it happening - too many climbs this year, no real support and Sky as a team seem to have no real idea what they are about or what their best team is, they left out their highest GC placed rider from last year, Froome and Kennagh and I don't think that Brailsford has a clue about running a road team basically.
  • RichN95.
    z0rT10ok wrote:
    Much as I'd love to see Wiggins (or any other Sky rider) finishing in the top ten I can't see it happening - too many climbs this year, no real support and Sky as a team seem to have no real idea what they are about or what their best team is, they left out their highest GC placed rider from last year, Froome and Kennagh and I don't think that Brailsford has a clue about running a road team basically.

Lofqvist wanted to be the leader at the Giro, so he was. He'll be too knackered to contribute properly.
    Froome is one of the most inconsistent riders around. The Tour of Switzerland shows that he can't perform consistently day-to-day.
    Kennaugh has only just turned 22 and did the Giro. Why would you want to burn him out?

Do you really think you have more idea about running a team than people who have been doing this their whole adult life and actually talk to the riders?

Or are you just having an ill informed pop at Sky because you think it's fashionable.
  • z0rT10ok
    I didn't realise it was the fashion to knock Sky but then I don't follow fashion as much as you appear to.

You've made my point for me thanks, you appear to think it's better to field weakened teams for each of the Grand Tours rather than the strongest possible team for one of them, OK if that's your opinion, I disagree, I think that they are going to end up with nothing to show for this year GT-wise which was their long term goal and I don't really think that this group is going to get much closer to achieving it.

Also I don't believe I said that I thought I knew better than anyone else, what I said was that I don't think that Brailsford had a clue about running a road team. I know that he's been very successful with the track team but that's a completely different thing.
  • RichN95.
    z0rT10ok wrote:
    Also I don't believe I said that I thought I knew better than anyone else, what I said was that I don't think that Brailsford had a clue about running a road team. I know that he's been very successful with the track team but that's a completely different thing.

Yes, because Brailsford is the own staff member that Sky have. What about Sean Yates? Steven DeJongh? Bobby Julich? Servais Knaven?

The so called rubbish team managed to win the Dauphine. The best team is rarely made up of the best nine riders.
  • z0rT10ok
    The best team is rarely made up of the best nine riders.

You don't say ^^

That is true, however not only isn't it the strongest team, I don't think it's the best team either, though as you say they might have been forced to do that because of other commitments earlier in the year. Splitting an average team up in order to participate in more races just doesn't seem the best way to place in the one you really want to place in to me.

Also 'hasn't a clue' was a bit strong I admit, he just doesn't fill me with any confidence based on what's happened so far (bar the Dauphine (which was hardly against the strongest competition).
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    z0rT10ok wrote:
    The best team is rarely made up of the best nine riders.

You don't say ^^

That is true, however not only isn't it the strongest team, I don't think it's the best team either, though as you say they might have been forced to do that because of other commitments earlier in the year. Splitting an average team up in order to participate in more races just doesn't seem the best way to place in the one you really want to place in to me.

Also 'hasn't a clue' was a bit strong I admit, he just doesn't fill me with any confidence based on what's happened so far (bar the Dauphine (which was hardly against the strongest competition).

What are you talking about - think Sky have a decent season so far, especially when you compare them to other big teams such as Leopard Trek et al.

Wiggins won the Dauphine and podiumed at Paris - Nice (who knows what could of happened in the final stage as it was a total wash out and effectively neutralised).

Swift and Henderson have picked up some good sprint wins, in TOC and TDU

Sutton won the KBK, and team sky dominated Bayern Runfarht (admittedly a very minor race but was a team builder for the TDF).

FLecha and G gave a good showing in the classics - but lets be honest Gilbert is like the Barcalona of classics at present.

I think Wiggins will go top 10 - podium will need a hell of a lot of luck and is unlikely (esp now EBH who helped loads in the Dauphine looks like he is out) but, as has been discussed loads on this forum I'd rather have his form than Basso or Evans.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227

F*ck me you are desperate for the attention.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    afx237vi wrote:

(Read the reviews.)

I have that T-shirt.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)