Wiggins - well up for it!

tremayne
tremayne Posts: 378
edited June 2011 in Pro race
Getting very excited now and have just been watching all the various video material now available on the teamSky website.

I have to say that Brad was sounding; motivated, exceptionally enthusiastic for Brad, articulate and generally raring to go.

It bodes well - I'm certain of it. The man is in a really happy place right now and I think he's someone who maybe more than most, needs this to have a good race.

So excited - I'm off now to watch them all again!!

Comments

• MaxwellBygraves
    MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
    I have a good feeling about Wiggins this year.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I have a good feeling about Wiggins this year.

I don't, but I dislike him so no surprise there.

I hope Swift and Thomas do well though.
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    But Mr Mad, he's really behaving at the moment. No surly attitude at all. Almost likeable! Watch the vid - seeing is believing.

Go on - give him another chance!
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Boulting made an interesting point on that Radio 5 show the other night (he often does)...

After Wiggo finished 4th in 2009 expectations were unreasonably high for last year and he came crashing back down to earth. He then started to get a bit of confidence this year and seemed to be coming into the tour in a good place - feeling strong, but pretty under the radar. Then he goes and wins the Dauphine and he's back to that place of hype and expectation he had before last year's tour.

Of course the hype doesn't mean he'll have a bad tour, objectively, but there's a good chance plenty of people will be disappointed.

I think he'll scrape a top ten and I'd consider that a good performance, especially after showing tbh worryingly good form in the Dauphine. Almost no-one holds peak form that long.

Hope I'm wrong.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    How do you know he peaked at the Dauphine?
  • Abdoujaparov
    andyp wrote:

Cos he was wearing a t-shirt with "I've peaked" on it.

Seriously though, I'm not sure that winning the Dauphine is good prep for the tour. Even Contador doesn't do that and he's, well, a bit good and freakishly consistent.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Contador also partakes of a spot of blood doping, allegedly. So the Dauphine is not a good indicator of his actual form.

We'll see with Wiggins, but he knows what his numbers are and he clearly feels he's in the right shape to do well at the Tour.
  • Abdoujaparov
    andyp wrote:
    he knows what his numbers are

3 weeks till the first mountain stage.

(Christ, I'm being a bit negative - would love to see him do well :wink: )
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    andyp wrote:

Cos he was wearing a t-shirt with "I've peaked" on it.

Seriously though, I'm not sure that winning the Dauphine is good prep for the tour. Even Contador doesn't do that and he's, well, a bit good and freakishly consistent.

I know times change, but past winners of the DL and TdF in the same year include Armstrong, Indurain, Hinault, Thevenet, Merckx, Ocana and Anquetil.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Here's some ifs...

If wiggins has a great tour, and gets on the podium, and contador gets his ban so he can't ride the tour in 2012, do you think wiggins will be tempted to forget all about focussing on the olympics next year, so he can have another crack?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I'm not sure Wiggins peaked for the Dauphine. He looked desperate at times on some climbs, and that was hanging on to some 2nd tier climbers. He won because he mullahed them in the TT and that's hardly news for him.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    ^--- Wot he said. I'd be surprised if Wiggins cracks the top 10. Don't buy into all the Sky marketing BS.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I watched a couple of different interviews with Wiggins last night. One thing you have to love about him is that he generally speaks his mind. A great comparison is interviews with members of the England cricket team, who all manage to say absolutely nothing of substance, with the odd soundbite and sanitised drivel.

I felt that Bradley came across as focused and confident. At the same time he did point out that anything can happen. Some other guys are coming into the Tour with no results at all, so a crash in the first week or sickness could render their season a disaster. If Bradley crashed out in the first week his season will still be a success. That in itself has to relieve some pressure.

No-one can answer the question about Bradley peaking until the end of July. Mind you, would you rather be in his position, having been able to just about hang on in the mountain stages in the Dauphine, or been performing like Andy Schleck or Basso?
  • ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Here's some ifs...

If wiggins has a great tour, and gets on the podium, and contador gets his ban so he can't ride the tour in 2012, do you think wiggins will be tempted to forget all about focussing on the olympics next year, so he can have another crack?

I'd happily answer 'yes' to that on the basis that the scenario will never come to pass.

I think Wiggins could finish anywhere between third and thirteenth. If pushed I'll say seventh.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I don't think Wiggins peaked at the Dauphine either, as has been said he got the time during the TT and was barely hanging on during some of the mountains. That said I think he's always susceptible to a bad day in the TdF mountains and he could easily go from being a podium contender to outside the top 10 if he does this year.

Will be interesting to see how Contador is going (not that I think he should be riding anyway), good point raised in the CW editorial that Contador probably never expected to be at the TdF this year so based his training around the Giro - if anyone can peak again for the TdF it's him but maybe he will be down on form due to the Giro effort.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I think that Wiggins freely admits when the mountain goats "go", he can't go with them. Instead he effectively diesels his way up the hills and he will do that this year - just churning out, keeping his numbers steady and hope to pull the back that way. IMHO, that seems a limited way of riding and will not stop people putting time into him. I don't think there are enough TT miles for him to make that sort of time up.

9th for me - but I would love to be proved wrong.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    I reckon 5th. Yes he doesnt have the kick in the high mountains but if Bertie is controlling everything like at the Giro I don't see why Brad wouldnt be able to hang with the rest of the GC contendors
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    I reckon 5th. Yes he doesnt have the kick in the high mountains but if Bertie is controlling everything like at the Giro I don't see why Brad wouldnt be able to hang with the rest of the GC contendors

VdB can drop him, surely?

Gesink can.

Both Schlecks can.

Basso can.

Evans can.

Sam Sanchez? Probably, but he'll get eaten in the TT.

Then there's Contador.

Would have to be some GC wrecking crash for Wiggins to be top 5.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    If he was able to hold on to the climbers attacking I suspect a few questions would be asked!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I don't mind wiggins (can see why he has detractors but that stuff doesn't bother me I tend to ignore it)

a podium would be one hell of an achievement - that would mean equalling evans, menchov, basso, gesink et al on all of the climbs and beating them on the TTs, I can see him doing the latter but not the former

top ten is my rough estimate
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Cogidubnus wrote:

Gesink can.

Both Schlecks can.

Basso can.

Evans can.

Then there's Contador.

I'd say at hi best (e.g. 2009 tour) Wiggins is capable of staying with Gesink, VdB, Frank Schleck and Evans. He actually put time into VdB on way of the Dauphine stages I think. All depends on how much more he can improve from his recent form. Personally I think top 10 would be a cracking result, but would love to see him up with the action in the big mountains, just adds that extra level of interest seeing a local guy doing well like that.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Cogidubnus wrote:

Gesink can.

Both Schlecks can.

Basso can.

Evans can.

Did he not just beat most of those in the Dauphine? Whether we believe him or not but he says he still isn't on TdF form. Now all those other riders will say the same but I would rather have Brads form going into the tour than say Basso's. If he can be within 2-3 minutes of those listed from the climbs he'll claw alot of time back in the TT and TTT
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Ladbrokes are offering 'evens' on him getting top-10

Now bookmakers tend to offer odds which are on their side...

Yes, I'd reckon he should get top 10, but it only takes a bit of illness, a crash, bad luck and he's finishing 24th or whatever it was last year...
  • dougzz
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Ladbrokes are offering 'evens' on him getting top-10

Now bookmakers tend to offer odds which are on their side...

Yes, I'd reckon he should get top 10, but it only takes a bit of illness, a crash, bad luck and he's finishing 24th or whatever it was last year...

This is a classic example of a really poor price because of the British effect. As mentioned earlier England are never proper value, for example they'll be 6/1 to win the World Cup, when a realistic price would be 16/1.
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    Cogidubnus wrote:

Gesink can.

Both Schlecks can.

Basso can.

Evans can.

Did he not just beat most of those in the Dauphine? Whether we believe him or not but he says he still isn't on TdF form. Now all those other riders will say the same but I would rather have Brads form going into the tour than say Basso's. If he can be within 2-3 minutes of those listed from the climbs he'll claw alot of time back in the TT and TTT
    +1
  • dougzz wrote:
    This is a classic example of a really poor price because of the British effect. As mentioned earlier England are never proper value, for example they'll be 6/1 to win the World Cup, when a realistic price would be 16/1.

Slightly OT, but you tend to get really good odds on England from my local bookies in Glasgow. Can't imagine why...
  • dougzz
    dougzz wrote:

Slightly OT, but you tend to get really good odds on England from my local bookies in Glasgow. Can't imagine why...

That is odd, why would there be any interest in Scotland in something you never compete in? It's a funny old world ;)
  • dougzz
    Re above stuff, form going in won't count for much when Basso has 4 minutes on Brad after a couple of mountain stages.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I really can't believe that he's peaked at the dauphine and is about to blow it - whatever you think of his road palmares, he has enough experience to know how to base a training schedule for a specific event at point in the year
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    Cogidubnus wrote:

Gesink can.

Both Schlecks can.

Basso can.

Evans can.

Then there's Contador.

i thought he dropped evans in the Dauphine