Hand held mobile phone users....What do you do?

porker33
porker33 Posts: 636
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
Having undertaken a few high performance driving courses, i like to think my observation skills are pretty good when it comes to reading the road ahead.

When cycling I pay attention to the other vehicles around me, what type they are and who is driving them.

I am most cautious of busy mums in £50k 4x4 on the school run, builders, most vans and young girls in small hatchbacks.

The number of times I see builders, van drivers or young girls with a phone held to their ear while cycling drives me nuts.

On occasion when cycling through slow moving traffic, I have remarked "wake up" or "pay attention" to a meandering car driver who is on the phone, once I even tapped on the window as they nearly crushed me into the kerb, obviously to be greeted by abuse.

So what do you do when you encounter drivers with one hand on the wheel and the other holding a phone?

(I am not referring to hands free kits here).

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I'm just aware they're not paying much attention.

Tapping on the window won't do much other than irritate them.
  • WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    Avoid them!

It seems to be the safest thing to do.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Its a loose loose situation. If you leave them alone, they will never learn and increase the risk of using the road for everyone. If you try to set them straight you get a whole bunch of abuse.

Maybe use a helmet cam and film them on the phone then their reg plate and send the video to the police let them deal with it?
  • rick_chasey
    jairaj wrote:
    Its a loose loose situation.

Lose lose.

Loose is my mate's ex girlfriend who's a nurse.
  • Thought her name was Louise? ;)
  • rick_chasey
    Thought her name was Louise? ;)

You know her too?

Point proven.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I had an idea a few years ago - it's provocative and naughty but there you go - we're not all angels.

I've commented earlier today on the number of people I see holding a mobile handset while driving. I thought about getting some really bright, flourescent stickers made up, that said something like

"POLICE! I DRIVE AND TALK ON THE PHONE! PLEASE STOP ME AND PREVENT ME FROM CAUSING AN ACCIDENT!"

Then, every time I saw a motorist offending, I'd slap a sticker on the rear of their car (as discreetly as I could!). After a few hundred I reckon people (Police) would begin to notice.

The other helmet-cam alternative is just to send photographic eveidence, but then we have to question just what type of society we are living in. I've never been one to 'grass' but there's a social responsibility aspect too. The people who really upset me are those that drive around in evedently expensive cars while talking on the 'phone; I look at them and think

"You're driving a £100k car but you can't spend £25 on a bluetooth headset!"

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.....
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • I honestly can't see why driving while talking on even a Bluetooth/Handsfree kit is legal, it's scientifically proven you still don't pay nearly as much attention on the road as you should using one.

Then again I've seen women driving while putting make up on in their rear view mirrors and guys driving while doing a crossword...
  • rick_chasey
    I honestly can't see why driving while talking on even a Bluetooth/Handsfree kit is legal, it's scientifically proven you still don't pay nearly as much attention on the road as you should using one.

Then again I've seen women driving while putting make up on in their rear view mirrors and guys driving while doing a crossword...

I've never understood this. How is having a chat hands free different to having a conversation with a passenger in the car?
  • Stoo48
    Stoo48 Posts: 54
    I find it interesting now I have moved to the US. When in the UK although many still used their handsets, I always felt the numbers were dropping. Here in the US it seems that peoplae are incapable of just driving, I see people using laptops, eating as well as using a phone (sometimes all at once!).

Here in Indiana they have just passed a new law that comes in on the 1st June, they have now made it illegal to text while driving..... correction, to write a text while driving, tou can still read one legally....

The mind boggles, although interestingly I feel safer riding on the country roads here than I did in the UK
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    I honestly can't see why driving while talking on even a Bluetooth/Handsfree kit is legal, it's scientifically proven you still don't pay nearly as much attention on the road as you should using one.

There are plenty of distractions in driving, from adjusting the stereo, heating+demisting, windows, watching the dials... to talking to other people in the car, to scanning roadsigns and side road names when you're lost. Idle daydreaming probably counts. I'm pretty good at that.

I thought that holding a driving license meant that you have been judged capable of assessing the risk of these kinds of things, and only doing them appropriately. It's impossible to litigate for every potential distraction a driver may face, surely.

In answer to the OP- I just avoid them. Wide berth.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Thought her name was Louise? ;)

You know her too?

Point proven.
    We all do :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    I can never understand why you see so many people in 30k cars who don't seem to be able to afford a handsfree kit. I also agree that all phone use should be banned - Istopped using my work phone in the car a while back as people tried to have technical conversations with me that took far too much concentration. From snippets of conversations I here when on the bike,most conversations don't exactly fall into the urgent category either!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    After years of furious indignation at this sort of thing: (Phones. Speeding. Chucking litter out of car windows, don't get me started); I'm trying to teach myself not to react to these situations. Mrs P keeps reminding me that I am not a traffic officer.

Even so, trying very hard to restrain myself, I just stared at a bloke incredulously the other day as he bombed down my road (narrow, residential, parked cars on one side, 20mph limit) towards me, as I was standing in the road putting washer fluid in my car. I gave him a sort of Paddington Bear stare. Right in the eye.

He pulled up, wound down the window and said "What??" Words were exchanged about speed limits, children etc... He was so indignant himself that, if his female friend had not been sitting beside him, he probably would have got out and killed me.

It's not worth it.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299

I've never understood this. How is having a chat hands free different to having a conversation with a passenger in the car?

The conversation will flow differently when someone is in the car with you. For example, when you are at a tricky junction, the person in the care will pause the conversation etc where on the phone it carries full force meaning you concentrate differently.
  • If you can't drive and use a mobile phone safely then you shouldn't be driving.
    Period.
  • The law was changed specifically to make the use of a hand-held mobile an endorsable offence due to a number of deaths directly attributable to that use.
    It is a case of prioritising, surely no call is that important?
    I disapprove of what you say but will defend....your right to say it. Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire08 Cotic Soda-deceased!10 Bianchi 928 c2c23 Marin Nicasio2
  • It would be interesting to know how many deaths / injuries are attributable to uncaged dogs in moving vehicles. I am very confident that I am more in control while on the phone than some idiot with a dog on their lap, in the passenger seat or jumping from back seats into the front etc.
    The law was changed to satisfy the 'bandwagon'. I fear that any government wouldn't be brave enough to ban dogs in cars as it would upset too many voters.
    Secure cage in the boot or leave em at home.
    Surely no trip in a car is worth the risk of killing your prized pooch, yourself or other road users?
  • CyclingBantam
    If you can't drive and use a mobile phone safely then you shouldn't be driving.
    Period.

Exactly. Also, I am a much better driver after a couple of pints.
  • If you can't drive and use a mobile phone safely then you shouldn't be driving.
    Period.

Scientifically proven that driving whilst talking on a handsfree device puts you on the same concentration level as being on the drink drive limit, driving whilst using a handheld mobile puts you in the same realm as someone twice the drink drive limit. The only reason handsfree hasn't been banned is that it's nearly impossible to police.

In relation to what can you do about it when you see it, the answer is not a lot, video evidence could be used by the police but it would be up to the CPS which isn’t a great option. Police can only issue a ticket if they see it in person at the time not retrospectively.

IMO the fine needs to be much higher for being caught, 3 points isn't working make it like drink drive, mandatory 1 year driving ban.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    The thing is if you have an accident and are found to have been talking on a hands free that can be used against you - a lorry driver ploughed into the back of a car on the A38 round here a couple of years back and part of the case against him was he had been talking to his mum on his hands free.

Personally I'd ban them except for police, taxis etc - as has been said the evidence is there. Agree with a straight ban for using a mobile too - there's no excuse.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I'd go a bit further and make it 3 points for obstructing a highway when someone decides to pull over straight away to answer their bloody phone. Seen a few queues on busy B roads just because they couldn't wait a few extra seconds to reach somewhere where they could actually get OFF the road. They often seem to think putting their hazards on makes it all ok though.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    There should be a general offence of "doing something I don't like" which should have a mandatory 2-3 years jail as a fixed penalty.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    I'd go a bit further and make it 3 points for obstructing a highway when someone decides to pull over straight away to answer their bloody phone. Seen a few queues on busy B roads just because they couldn't wait a few extra seconds to reach somewhere where they could actually get OFF the road. They often seem to think putting their hazards on makes it all ok though.

Putting your hazards on makes ANYTHING okay.

There was some footage on the news a while back of some scrote who had stolen a car and was joyriding it around Peterborough (I think). He went the wrong way around roundabouts, overtook into oncoming traffic, was doing 60 in a 30 zone, all in a stolen car while banned, but just before he bombed straight through the closed barriers at a level crossing without slowing seconds before a train rattled through, he had the good grace to put his hazards on.
  • It would be interesting to know how many deaths / injuries are attributable to uncaged dogs in moving vehicles. I am very confident that I am more in control while on the phone than some idiot with a dog on their lap, in the passenger seat or jumping from back seats into the front etc.
    The law was changed to satisfy the 'bandwagon'. I fear that any government wouldn't be brave enough to ban dogs in cars as it would upset too many voters.
    Secure cage in the boot or leave em at home.
    Surely no trip in a car is worth the risk of killing your prized pooch, yourself or other road users?

Could you explain to me how you can be in full control of your car when you're on your mobile? How do you change gear for example, or indicate without taking your hand off the steering wheel?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    The thing is if you have an accident and are found to have been talking on a hands free that can be used against you - a lorry driver ploughed into the back of a car on the A38 round here a couple of years back and part of the case against him was he had been talking to his mum on his hands free.

Personally I'd ban them except for police, taxis etc - as has been said the evidence is there. Agree with a straight ban for using a mobile too - there's no excuse.

Why should a taxi drivr be allowed rthem anymore than any other driver driving on business?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    If you can't drive and use a mobile phone safely then you shouldn't be driving.
    Period.
    An informed and educated addition to the debate, well done !
    :roll:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Dealing with a traffic cop recently he mentioned some section of the Road Traffic Act that can be used so that if they see someone obviously committing an offence but are unable to stop them or produce evidence they put a note on file. If another officer does the same at a later date it flags up and they can pop around and impound and crush their car. I'd like to see that get used a bit more! Maybe one of our resident PCs can fill in the blanks?
  • Simplees, phone in one hand, change gear with the other.
    I'm not advocating texting while going round roundabouts but driving along a motorway for example with one hand on the wheel and one hand resting on your ear chatting to the passenger in the car is safe and legal, if there happens to be a phone between your hand and ear and the other person is not in the car I don't see the problem.
    Changing a CD and using the stereo is not and should not be illegal but the driver should asses the risk, a competent driver wouldn't faff with the stereo while negotiating a junction or roundabout.
    If you are not a confident or competent driver don't dismiss the opinions of someone who is.
    If it really worries you to the point you feel others should be jailed for disagreeing with you stay off the roads!
  • CyclingBantam
    Simplees, phone in one hand, change gear with the other.
    I'm not advocating texting while going round roundabouts but driving along a motorway for example with one hand on the wheel and one hand resting on your ear chatting to the passenger in the car is safe and legal, if there happens to be a phone between your hand and ear and the other person is not in the car I don't see the problem.
    Changing a CD and using the stereo is not and should not be illegal but the driver should asses the risk, a competent driver wouldn't faff with the stereo while negotiating a junction or roundabout.
    If you are not a confident or competent driver don't dismiss the opinions of someone who is.
    If it really worries you to the point you feel others should be jailed for disagreeing with you stay off the roads!
    Just so I'm clear then. If I want to ride on the road legally but someone wants to drive on the road on the phone illegally, I should stay of the road.

I presume all the surveys/studies and bloody common sense are nonsense where as you know the score.

Someone once said, never reason with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level.

If you are not just trolling you are posting the biggest load of rubbish I have read on here (and that includes some of my posts!). My view couldn't be further from yours and I would struggle to know where to even start, but I would genuinely fear, if you have formed this view, you are probably not capable of reasoning with.