ITV4 or Eurosport for the Tour?

Comments

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    Dabber wrote:
    Eurosport for the first week whilst we're in the UK, after that ITV4 as we'll be in France and that's all we'll have access to.
    Er, France Televisions? It's the best coverage there is.

We've only got TV satellite access to Freesat, but I agree that French TV would be the best option.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Dabber wrote:
    Eurosport for the first week whilst we're in the UK, after that ITV4 as we'll be in France and that's all we'll have access to.

Sacriledge!

Sporza or die.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Dabber wrote:
    Sacriledge!
    Sporza or die.
    You're more of a classics man though Rick. When July comes it's time to change channel.
    Back on topic (!) Slimbods is spot on - the best English solution would be ITV4 links with Eurosport's commentary (and Carlton's mike mysteriously broken for three weeks)
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    I really like the highlights package with features etc. that ITV4 do but I am getting pretty annoyed with phil and paul.

Will mostly watch ITV4 but for some key stages I'll indulge myself by watching the last 50-40k on Eurosport.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Im also in France for most of the tour, will watch the tours live on French TV and then hope to catch the ITV4 highlight show each night on my sat dish!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    For live coverage I put the telly on to ITV4 on mute for pictures and log into Eurosport player for the commentary. I mute one and unmute the other whenever an ad break comes on.

I'm self employed and am often quiet in July which suits me fine :0)
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    lucybears wrote:
    British Eurosport will be showing a comprehensive package of live coverage from the 2011 Tour de France.
    Times quoted are British time.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... edule.html

Mmmm, on first glance I'd say not quite up to the usual standard, but excelling in the talk department. 6pm+finishes sounds suspiciously like a lot of jaw wagging post race.

St Flour stage disappointing, as it's got a whole raft of medium climbs.
    Surprised that only the Pyrenean stages are whole day coverage, but that the Pinerelo-Galibier stage isn't.

Will have to see what French tv come up with. Bound to fill in any blanks.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Eurosport - Sean Kelly is now a lot better than he used to be - I can actually listen to him now. Harman is good. For the B team, I think Carlton Kirby just witters on too much - but Brian Smith seems very good and is on the ball as to what is happening in the race. Really enjoyed watching the Dauphine and Tour de Suisse.

ITV4 - Presentation of highlights usually quite good with Gary Imlach and Ned Boulting. Phil and Paul can get a bit annoying but at least they are enthusiastic. Oh... and sadly me and my wife love the catchy theme tune they have had for the last few years on the ITV TdF highlights - hope they still are using it this year.
  • durhamwasp
    Does anyone know if French TV do any highlights show on a nighttime? From what i can find on their website it looks like they just have a 10min show around 8pm.

Getting my sat dish working is now a must! 9pm french time with a few Kronies...
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    ITV4 the competition (same question everyday :evil: ) to win a Boredman bike:-

Who is the 7 time winner of the bike race known as the Tour de France?

Is it

a) Lance Armstrong
    b) Boris Johnson
    c) Betty Grable

I'll think I'll go for Eurosport HD 8)
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Weekday highlights - ITV4 - More polished.
    Weekend Live - Eurosport - Better commentary.
    Rich
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Is it

a) Lance Armstrong
    b) Boris Johnson
    c) Betty Grable

The point of those questions is to get people to call the phone line so they make money. They'd have no question at all if the law allowed it.

If the question was 'Who won the Wincanton Classic in 1993, Sciandri, Volpi or Bortolami?' how many phone calls do you think they'd get? Not enough to cover the postage for the prize - that's how many.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    RichN95 wrote:

Is it

a) Lance Armstrong
    b) Boris Johnson
    c) Betty Grable

The point of those questions is to get people to call the phone line so they make money. They'd have no question at all if the law allowed it.

If the question was 'Who won the Wincanton Classic in 1993, Sciandri, Volpi or Bortolami?' how many phone calls do you think they'd get? Not enough to cover the postage for the prize - that's how many.

Thank you Rich.

Still tiresome tho'
  • Chris_Who
    Chris_Who Posts: 137
    RichN95 wrote:

Having grown up in Wincanton, I always thought it was a shame the Wincanton classic never came very close.

Oh, and it was Volpi right?

Fat people are so insensitive
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Chris_Who wrote:
    Oh, and it was Volpi right?

Correct. You win a Boardman bike. Just go into your local Halfords, pick up the display model and walk out with it. I'll tell them you're coming.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Eurosport - Sean Kelly is now a lot better than he used to be

He takes some getting used to. So much experience and knowledge in his head, but could never be described as a good communicator.
    exercise.png
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    Much prefer Eurosport.

Can't stand the ITV coverage. More suited to people who don't usually follow cycling and a bit superficial for my liking. The "competition" money making scams really annoy me too.
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    I'd have to dig deep into my suitcase of courage to listen to Phil and Paul on the ITV live coverage.

Here's the Phil and Paul bingo card again:

http://latriclub2.com/downloads/LiggettSherwenBingo.pdf
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Can't wait for the "general classerment" again....in France nothing beats Jalabert reporting from moto 1.

Sherwen should stick to mining and will Liggett get a gold plated ITV pension?
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Much prefer Eurosport.

Can't stand the ITV coverage. More suited to people who don't usually follow cycling and a bit superficial for my liking. The "competition" money making scams really annoy me too.

Do you get annoyed when the adverts come on too? I bet you do
  • Snorebens
    Snorebens Posts: 759
    ITV4 are dangling carrots - replay of National Road Race champs and docu's like 'Chasing Legends' straight after live wknd coverage.

I'll be avoiding Phil n Paul however
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    MrT wrote:
    nothing beats Jalabert reporting from moto 1
    Unfortunately, Fignon's death means that Jalabert is moving into the studio. It's a shame - the motorbike job was made for him. I think (but I'm not sure) that Laurent Bellet will be moving up to moto1, and Nicolas Geay (who was on the moto for the dauphine) will take his place at the back of the field.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I'll be on ITV4 i think - i Quite like P&P.

I'll do what i normally do - avoid the internet whilst at work - whizz home and then watch as live - before watching the highlights.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Ideal situation would be Gary Imlach in the Eurosport Studio alongside Backstedt
    Ned Boulting roving reporter bit and Kelly & Harmon doing the commentary with Kraftwerk`s 1983 Tour De France as the opening and closing theme :D
  • durhamwasp
    Snorebens wrote:
    ITV4 are dangling carrots - replay of National Road Race champs and docu's like 'Chasing Legends' straight after live wknd coverage.

What date are those set for?
  • Snorebens
    Snorebens Posts: 759
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Snorebens wrote:

http://twitter.com/itvcycling:

TdF Coverage starts Sat 2nd July at 12.00. Whole stage live.
    Then at 1700 Nat Road Champs highlights.
    Then TdF highlights at 1900

July 14th. Live from 1200. Highlights 1900. Chasing Legends 2000.
  • durhamwasp wrote:
    Snorebens wrote:

In addition to its Tour coverage, ITV4 will also be showing Chasing Legends on Thursday July 14 (8-10pm) and Sunday July 17 (4.30-6.30pm)
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    If ITV4 are showing stages live then I will be camped in the reception of our office and anyone wanting to watch the usual news 24 will be given short shrift.

Other than that it will be Eurosport for live stuff and ITV4 in the evening for a bit of light relief.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I Sky+ the Eurosport live coverage then when I get home depending on the time fast forward to an appropriate distance to go and watch from there. I can then skip the ads altogether and much prefer to ITV coverage.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Yup.
    ITV 4's coverage is much more extensive, this year.
    Very good news for non-Sky subscribers:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/tou ... edule.html

They even manage to fill in some of the Eurosport gaps.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.