Rain, rain..

snooks
snooks Posts: 1,521
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
OK I know it's the first day of Wimbledon, but I was almost washed away with the rain on Friday, and after having sunshine most of today, come 5:30....what does the weather do?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

It's JUNE FFS!
FCN:5, 8 & 9
If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
THE Game
Watch out for HGVs

Comments

• hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Got 2 shifty looking cyclists (and me) sitting in the office trying to find work to do while we wait for it to stop!

Judging the cutoff when you just go and get wet is a dark art :(
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Gorgeous up here in my bit of Lancashire. Very warm, and sunshine all day. Grim up north? Is it 'eck as like. Not today, anyway.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Beautiful on the Notts / Leics border as well. The birds are tweeting, the sky is blue and I'm sat here sweating like crazy!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Here over the French bridge in Wales it was absolutely glorious until 1pm when the heavens opened.

Judging by a dog bowl put on the patio by the miniAH this morning (when we were all outside reading books and playing with lego respectively) we've had a comfortable inch.

AGAIN!! I think Sunday was the first end-to-end sunny, non liquid day this month.

Ticked. Off.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • hfidgen
    Well that was terrifying...

All I can think of is that it was some satanic combination of:
    * Bow Crowe scaring people into cars this morning
    * The heavens opening
    * 7:30pm opening up the bus and bike lanes to traffic
    * Road works at whitechapel putting all motorists in a 3 mile radius into a blind rage

Nearly got sideswiped twice by cars racing up the bus lane and then had a truly shitshitshitshitshiiiiiiiiiiit moment at the mile end crossroads as some guy facing me trying to turn right just pulled across me.

I was doing ~20mph, my brakes were useless at first, he stopped right in the middle of the road (just as I changed my direction to try and go behind him).... Cue massive swerve ALL the way behind him infront of an astonished BMW.

Then 20m past that some peds at the crossing step out on me :lol:

Don't want to repeat that again. I think he was completely fair enough - I was coming out of the darkness of the bridge and he stopped ONCE he'd seen me, it just happened that I couldn't stop in time.

Speaking of which - time to wipe down the bike and check the brakes..
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • snooks
    Just finished cleaning my bike...

If summer stays like this I'm buying me a wetsuit...and I might even buy one for the bike!
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Luckily today was a rest day so I was in the car otherwise I would have been rained on riding home for the first time in months! :D
    Still breathing.....
  • Kieran_Burns
    It's just this second started here
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Seems like every time I get on the bike I get drenched. Kind of enjoyed it tonight. Was tempted to do an extended commute by RP but noticed I'd no rear light.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    I wimped out after hanging around for 15 minutes in the office hoping it would stop. But since I was already dressed for cycling and had the SPDs on, I did wander over to the gym and do a 90 minute spin class so at least I feel like I got some pedalling in. Now do those 'spin' miles count towards the cycle challenge? :lol:
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I found the rain rather refreshing. Enjoyed the ride home. Just a shame the girlfriend wouldn't let me in the flat until I dried out :(
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Overshoes are the one item I can't do without. All the rest can get wet I don't care. Got to keep those feet warm and dry!
  • hfidgen
    Have to say I now know why most shoes have a hole in the sole by the toes - my feet were little prunes by the time I drained everything in the shower.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Got wet last Wednesday. Got wet last Thursday. Day off Friday (but it did rain). Turbo ride on Saturday (thankfully indoors) and a nice big ride on Sunday was dry. Got wet again today!
    How sad is this though? Up at 7:30 this morning, and while waiting for the kettle to boil rinsed out a bucket full of cycling gloves/mitts that were soaking overnight. 7:30 this evening, cleaning the bike (Trek District) after a very wet commute home. Are we cyclists or what??!!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Got wet last Wednesday. Got wet last Thursday. Day off Friday (but it did rain). Turbo ride on Saturday (thankfully indoors) and a nice big ride on Sunday was dry. Got wet again today!
    How sad is this though? Up at 7:30 this morning, and while waiting for the kettle to boil rinsed out a bucket full of cycling gloves/mitts that were soaking overnight. 7:30 this evening, cleaning the bike (Trek District) after a very wet commute home. Are we cyclists or what??!!

And now there are three........
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,386
    Nowhere near as bad as Friday, but wet enough. Took it very steady, what with the delayed braking and outbreaks of cones at every opportunity. The quick wipedown of my bike before I left this morning seems slightly superfluous.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    On that magnificat last Sunday I had a couple of moments in the wet, one in particular springs to mind.

Coming to a junction, applied brakes and nothing :shock: WTF, sharp left and the back wheel catches a manhole cover, promptly slides then grips again :?

Would have been a very unpleasant exp but ... thanks to my CX/MTB yokel ninja skills, all in a days work! 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Friday was bad, tonight was just wet, though i did have one or two heart stoppers as the back wheel found manhole covers under the water and tried to take a different route home...

there were some right loonies out tonight... and i include some very stupid RLJers... bad enough RLJing, but doing it in the rain and dark with no lights is just suicidal!
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • I got so fed up having been festering indoors all day that I actually went out into the rain just for a bit of fresh air and exercise. Funnily enough I was out in that wet part of east London where everybody rides achingly trendy single speeds and, according to earlier accounts, where everybody also appears to have been risking life and limb but, being a bit later found the roads pretty clear. Wet but clear. I got soaked but as it wasn't cold I really enjoyed it.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I wonder if my shoes are dry this morning, better go check soon :?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    My commuter shoes now smell so damp & mouldy I think its time ....
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    it rained over night here so the track was a slimy slippery snake all the way

although i managed to do a half rotate of the cranks in a wheel spin, which i was impressed with
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Yesterday morning my road shoes were still wet from Friday's downpour. By the time I got on the bike to ride home, they were dry, right up until I left the underground car park. I couldn't face a 3rd day of cycling with wet feet this morning so I took the carbon bike with different shoes. I'm glad I did as I'd forgotten how fast it was on the commute, so all in I'm thankful for the rain!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • snooks
    Funnily enough I was out in that wet part of east London where everybody rides achingly trendy single speeds and, according to earlier accounts, where everybody also appears to have been risking life and limb but, being a bit later found the roads pretty clear. Wet but clear. I got soaked but as it wasn't cold I really enjoyed it.

It actually stopped raining at mile end...then started again at Bow. The the road was full of numpties turning around v e r y s l o w l y last night. And approaching them you never know whether to pass in front or behind them as they block the road and my brakes were taking time out from working.. I was also stuck behind an ambulance/paramedic at Aldgate who couldn't get past a white van man who was listing to his headphones and was totally unaware of the sirens, horns and flashy blue lights that he was holding up.

Not as bad a Friday, but it still took the same amount of time to clean my bike :(
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • snooks
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I couldn't face a 3rd day of cycling with wet feet this morning so I took the carbon bike with different shoes. I'm glad I did as I'd forgotten how fast it was on the commute, so all in I'm thankful for the rain!

I though carbon melted in rain, well that's what the word on the street is. ;)
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    just checked the weather forecast for tomorrow in Stafford an its raining

booo hiss im going to Alton Towers :(
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    mudcow007 wrote:

Spend all day on the log flume and you won't notice the rain.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    nich wrote:
    I wonder if my shoes are dry this morning, better go check soon :?

Pack your shoes with scrunched up newspaper when you get home. In the morning your shoes will be dry and the newspaper will be damp.

Works a treat.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Kieran_Burns
    mudcow007 wrote:

Erm..... Alton Towers isn't in Stafford.

Just though you should know if you find yourself thinking the A34 roundabout is the Nemesis
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X