Convice me I can do this hill

13»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Oh,
    and some POSITIVE encouragement would be nice in future. That was a huge mental hurdle I got over there, so some of the sarcasm was not entirely appreciated.

You need to ask the mods to -
    Speedking wrote:
    DO SOMETHING!

;)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    and if you're interested in the proof - here's 3 and a half minutes of me being knackered climbing a hill while totally not warmed up:

http://youtu.be/3rmsnXkMUO4?hd=1
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • and if you're interested in the proof - here's 3 and a half minutes of me being knackered climbing a hill while totally not warmed up:

Excellent, well done KB. It was nice that you did the video in slow motion, so we didn't miss anything. I liked the whimpering too.[url][/url]
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Well done KB. I did enjoy the attention to the details of the drainage covers, often overlooked on cycling vids.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Kieran_Burns
    Well done KB. I did enjoy the attention to the details of the drainage covers, often overlooked on cycling vids.

My head was perfectly level - it was the road that was slanting up!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Are you sure it was a hill Kieran? The best check is to put a marble on it and see if it rolls off one way or the other.

Actually, to be fair, it does look like there is a gradient in Google Earth but you do need to come up to Yorkshire for a ride sometime.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Oh,
    and some POSITIVE encouragement would be nice in future. That was a huge mental hurdle I got over there, so some of the sarcasm was not entirely appreciated.

Well done KB, and all jokes aside, would you have managed it (so soon) if it weren't for all the pisstaking from everyone! :lol:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Dont listen to them KB, pah bleeding London-types what do they know ..........?

this hill is 7-10% for 2 miles it doesnt look it but it's a damn leg stinger with 3-4 kicks just when you think it's all over.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Prospect place, bath

Ah yes, a mountain bike granny gear-climb: as long as you have the balance to keep the front wheel down!
    John Stevenson
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    KB, well done dude, feels amazing to do something that you didnt think you could doesnt it ?
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    itboffin wrote:
    Dont listen to them KB, pah bleeding London-types what do they know ..........?

this hill is 7-10% for 2 miles it doesnt look it but it's a damn leg stinger with 3-4 kicks just when you think it's all over.
    That would make it a Cat3 on the TdF :)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    If you're at all interested mapmyride includes a hill cat. Calc I'm not so sure personally.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Aw, I'm proud of you anyway fella.

If you're bored one day you can come down this way and we could go have a look at the Rhigos or the Bwlch near my old house.

My old commute used to take in the Rhigos each way.
    On something with a tax disc
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    This one was a pain, maybe try it next KB? :wink:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4593044
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    This one's my local nemesis:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4593069

The 2.5 mile climb from Conder Bottom to Jubilee Tower, just outside Lancaster. It's only a 6/10 in the 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs book, but it's plenty steep enough for me to struggle on. (Not being 3 stone overweight would help, mind.)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ahh well done dude, you see if it wasn't for all of our persuasive language you wouldn't have gone up there now would you?

how did you feel at the top?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rolf_f
    Agent57 wrote:
    This one's my local nemesis:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4593069

The 2.5 mile climb from Conder Bottom to Jubilee Tower, just outside Lancaster. It's only a 6/10 in the 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs book, but it's plenty steep enough for me to struggle on. (Not being 3 stone overweight would help, mind.)

I did that on a coast to coast. I hadn't noticed it was in the Climbs book til afterwards :lol:

One of those nasty ones that you face across a bit of a valley so it looks vertical!
  • Kieran_Burns
    mudcow007 wrote:
    ahh well done dude, you see if it wasn't for all of our persuasive language you wouldn't have gone up there now would you?

Partly: what was the fuss about, also glad I've done that and finally another mental hurdle out of the way.

For those who may know - I'm conquering mental milestones at the moment.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    does this mean you can keep your cape?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Talking about making a gentle bump out of a molehill.

Do we let on to KB about our top secret good cop bad cop plans.......

So secret most didn't even know of them - sorry no-one knew of them!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I thought I was being good-cop. It was certainly more encouraging than what I was thinking. :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    and if you're interested in the proof - here's 3 and a half minutes of me being knackered climbing a hill while totally not warmed up:

KB, can you tell us at what time on the vid the hill started please? I can't find it......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    KB, can you tell us at what date on the vid the hill started please? I can't find it......

Simon

But seriously, well done
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    mudcow007 wrote:

Partly: what was the fuss about, also glad I've done that and finally another mental hurdle out of the way.

For those who may know - I'm conquering mental milestones at the moment.

I have to say that on that 1 in 4 hill I posted, I have had a bit of a mental wobble half way up each time I've ridden it. The first bit doesn't seem too bad, but then you start to lose any momentum you had and it ramps up quite a bit round the S-bend. The urge to get off and walk is quite strong, but it's that steep, that I know I'd just topple over before I could unclip.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Well done KB. My hero :)

Some of you are just rotten :P
  • rolf_f
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Well done KB. My hero :)

Some of you are just rotten :P

It's nice people like you that give the internet a bad name :lol:
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Well done KB, I bet it felt great to get to the top. Our tough love approach worked :wink:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    DO IT OR DIE.

is that motivational enough for you? ;)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.