Reba help

2»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Not sure I'd agree, it's still a good base, setting - and + the same, and then tweaking afterwards. If you know how you like your forks then maybe not, but if you're starting from scratch you need some kind of reference point.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Yes but you are missing out on the capability of the fork. Also IME you end up running them soft, just to maintain sag.

But IMO the most important thing for anyone who is experiencing loss of travel after a ride is to check the top air chamber for oil.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    diy wrote:
    But IMO the most important thing for anyone who is experiencing loss of travel after a ride is to check the top air chamber for oil.

This was a new one to me, after almost 2 years of having my Rebas, I'd somehow missed this tip despite doing all the services myself. Sure enough, I opened it up and it was dry as a nun's unmentionables.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Dual air is very tunable, but RS do not recommend adjusting the negative chamber outside the prescribed +/- 10psi from the main air chamber. If you do, you need to know what you are doing as the sag measurements can be confusing. For most people:

- set the sag to 25%, whilst stood on the bike, with equal pressure in the negative and positive chambers. Nothe these pressures.

- for a softer feel at the start of the stroke add more negative pressure, up to an extra 10psi

- for a firmer feel to the start of the stroke reduce neagative pressure, again up to 10psi.

Adjusting neg pressure may make the fork sit higher or lower in its fully extended state. Be aware of this.

- adjust compression damping to suit. And rebound.

Go and ride. Tweak. If you are not bottoming the fork ever, try 30% sag. if you are, try 20% sag.
    The only difference is the progressiveness of the air spring.

And the overall spring rate of course.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    toastedone wrote:
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    toastedone wrote:
    I dont get correct sag till im on about 50psi, and the forks bottomed out going of a small kerb

Are you setting sag with the saddle set at the same height as it is in your sig?

yes thats my riding height

The problem is that your saddle is low in relation to your bars which means when seated you will not be putting much weight onto the bars, hence the very low pressure to achieve the required sag.
  • toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    Well firstly I would like to thank everyone for there help and patients with my problem. After following advice last night and taking my bike out for a good ride today, i can safely say that the forks are now to my liking. I have them set at 25% sag (standing) with 80psi in both +-, After riding home from work along a average trail the forks hit about 90% travel and it was a nice smooth ride much better than my previous 80mm Suntours.

Again thanks.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    bails87 wrote:
    diy wrote:

This was a new one to me, after almost 2 years of having my Rebas, I'd somehow missed this tip despite doing all the services myself. Sure enough, I opened it up and it was dry as a nun's unmentionables.

It took me a new wiper kit, new air seal kit, new moco kit, 2 full strips and clean, before I stopped my rebas from sucking down and staying down. While the seals probably needed doing anyway, I reckon 10ml of oil in the air chamber would have fixed it. I have also found that they do lose oil and need checking every 2-3 months.