Reba help

toastedone
toastedone Posts: 838
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
HI, I have just had my new Reba Rl dual airs fitted and im am not 100% they are acting as they should, they are 100mm travel so i guess the stanchions should measure 100mm as they do when fully extended, I took it for a quick test around the block and have found that they are not fully returning of there own accord, and stay sat at about 75-80mm so i have to physically push them back by hand.

Also they are very very close at times to bottoming out, i have the psi set to about 110 on + - but it is hard to set the sag as they are not fully returning as i think they should.

I would appreciate any help.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like too much air in the neg chamber.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • toastedone
    As simple as that, I drop the neg to 80psi, and seems much better, should +- be the about the same?
  • Rybes
    Rybes Posts: 110
    ive just done my rebas for sag and for me i found that the + is on 100 and the - is on 90. that gave me 22mm of sag. been out on it today and it all seems well. :D
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • toastedone
    Thanks Rybes, How much do you weigh if you dont mind my asking
  • Rybes
    87kg mate :wink:
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • toastedone
    Cool thanks, i am going to have a play with it and i will report back later
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Toaste - as per the FAQs, empty the negative and set the positive to give whatever sag you want. Then set the negative to the same psi and fine tune from there for whatever suits. Most people seem to find that having the negative chamber at < +/- 10 psi of the positive chamber works.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Check also the +iv chamber is not dry. According to RS its something you should check monthly as the oil tends to work its way down to the bottom, which will allow the +iv chamber to leak in to the -iv chamber. Over time your forks will eventually suck down as the pressure in the -iv becomes larger than the +iv.

Empty both chambers, open the +iv with a 22 (or is it 24mm spanner?) If its dry inside poor at least 5-10ml of oil in (check the manual for the exact quantity).
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Are they new? If so ignore the air pressure guide on the forks just use trial and error until you get the correct sag. Try and keep +ve and -ve chambers within 10 psi of each other.

I've had 2 new RS forks (Revs and SID) both were a bit stiff at the start but after a while soon bedded in fine.

Also sometimes helps to start from fresh and bleed air out of both chambers first then start again.
  • toastedone
    Thanks for all the help and advice guys, I think (Thought) that I had them set up correct last night, i rode my bike to work today and every felt ok, I done a small drop off a kerb and the forks travelled to there Max 100mm, now i know you are ment to use all the travel you have but is it normal to use 100mm from simple dropping off a kerb?

Thanks
  • Rybes
    wouldnt have thought so. have you turned your compression up ?
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • toastedone
    I dont think so :/
  • Rybes
    if there similar to mine, its the blue ring at the top of the rght hand fork leg. turned anti clockwise itll decrease compression, turned clockwise itll increase it. if you take it all the way clockwise though, itll lock out the fork but it will retain about 20 mm travel
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • Rybes
    toastedone
    hello mate. if you lt me have your email address ill send you over the fork user manual i have for mine.
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • I have the dual air RL's.

Same pressure in +'ve and -'ve at whatever psi gave me the correct sag. Forks have been perfect since.

Let all the air out and go through it systematically again.
  • toastedone
    I dont get correct sag till im on about 50psi, and the forks bottomed out going of a small kerb
  • The lower pressure on the Reba RL 2011 is 70psi for less than 140lb (63kg)

How much do you weigh?
  • toastedone
    10.5 to 11 stone so about 147-150lbs
  • 50 psi will be too low then.

Put say.. 75ps in +ve and -ve, get on the bike, stand up in "attack" position, check sag.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    toastedone wrote:
    I dont get correct sag till im on about 50psi, and the forks bottomed out going of a small kerb

Are you setting sag with the saddle set at the same height as it is in your sig?
  • toastedone
    I thought to check sag you had to be seated in riding position?
  • toastedone
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    toastedone wrote:

Are you setting sag with the saddle set at the same height as it is in your sig?

yes thats my riding height
  • toastedone wrote:
    I thought to check sag you had to be seated in riding position?

Attack position is more suitable... how often do you go off a drop sat down?

Your seat is quite low.
  • toastedone
    what can i say lol i have little legs
  • hehe... set sag in stood up "attack position" then and see how you go from there!
  • toastedone
    Ok to be fair i have tried as you have suggested with +- set to 75psi, when seated i get 18% sag when in attack i get bang on 25%, so from a small kerb drop off landing on both wheels at the same time, what % of the fork travel should i expect to see, ish
  • enough.

Impossible question to guage! It could change every time!

Only way is to go test!
  • toastedone
    I just did a few times and im getting about 75% travel
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    something like riding off a kerb isn't a real way to judge it. Set them so you get 25% sag when standing in the attack position, then go for a proper ride, see how they feel. Take the shock pump with you and play around with the pressures if you need to.

I'm not surprised you bottomed them out going off a kerb if you set 25% sag while seated. There'd be hardly any weight on the front so they'd have be be really soft, which explains the bottoming out.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    The whole PSI to set sag thing is largely irrelevant on dual air.

I can get the same sag with 100+ 90- as I can with 140+ 150- (roughly) The only difference is the progressiveness of the air spring.