Londoners: SW or SE?

1235»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Just ahd a look at the Met's crime map - http://maps.met.police.uk/ - which makes interesting viewing. It turns out that Kingston has a higher crime rate than Croydon.

There were only 2 notifiable crimes in my sub-ward in July, down from 4 in June :D

This makes for interesting reading:

Googling 'Croydon Crime' in News

Murder, violence, Youth violence, riots.

Googling 'Fulham Crime' in News

Chat about councils and 'top police officers'.

Not trying to be a tosser (though probably succeeding), but the above is why Croydon gets a bad rep.

I take your point, I'm just not sure that the statistics - or my personal experience of visiting Croydon - actually bear out the perceived reputation (and it's a very entrenched reputation, even with locals). What's also very interesting about the map is how localised the high crime areas are - in some cases, confined to just a handful of streets. It would be interesting to see the breakdown of different types of crime in each area and whether this more closely matches the perception in the press.

By the way, from the map, Mayfair looks like a really rough area.

The map doesn't differentiate from tourist pick-pocketing to stabbings though. (to widly pick two crimes out of the air). But yes, in a dense city you're always going to get a higher concentrations of crime.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    dhope wrote:
    2 and a half months later, and after a bit of extra time housesitting for a friend in Greenwich... I'm moving to Balham.

Embankment peloton beware :twisted:
    Maybe :?

:shock: :shock:

Oh hell no!!! Balham is full. We have no more room :twisted: :wink:

Bike shops: Psubliminal rather than 'the other one' - purely my opinion.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Cafewanda wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    2 and a half months later, and after a bit of extra time housesitting for a friend in Greenwich... I'm moving to Balham.

I thought you two were getting it on, now I have proof!
    Are you officially an item now?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    dhope wrote:

I thought you two were getting it on, now I have proof!
    Are you officially an item now?

Still just stalking. Last sighting was on Monday morning around Oval as I was cycling toward Tooting. She's tough to track down, hides behind trees, postboxes, lampposts, toothpicks...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    rjsterry wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    I've lived in many places in London over the last few years. My thoughts are:

SE - never again. Just ropey.

SW - some places ok like Putney and Tooting. Some places really insincere like Clapham, Fulham and Chelsea.

N - the place to be without a shadow of doubt. More arty, more down to earth, more community spirit. Mind you, you do have to pick a decent area which is neither grubby nor too damn posh. Try Stoke Newington. I moved from there 9 months ago and really miss it. Great restaurants, pubs, bars, parks, community. Excellent place, a really good vibe. No chain stores either.

Pffft. Putney and Tooting are more sincere (?) than Clapham and Fulham? Putney and Tooting are stuffed to the gills with as many upper-middle, two children at a local prep school, riding/cello lessons at the weekend and expensive dinner parties once a week people as Islington. Stoke Newington likes to think it's still got an edge, but the gastro pubs and organic food shops are already heavily entrenched.

Living just down the road from Croydon, I don't really see why people give it so much stick. The large dual carriageway running through the centre of it doesn't exactly make it a pedestrian paradise, but you could do a lot worse. The retail parks surrounding Croydon are, however, my idea of the third circle of Hell.

What you said about Stokey is entirely correct. A very friendly place indeed with loads of choice when going out. Lived in or near Croydon for five years and can count the number of times I went out there on two hands. Not my bag at all. Two meals for £10 with a pint thrown in. No thanks.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    @ joelsim, its lovely that you like where you live, but slagging off where others live just makes you come across as a bit of a cock.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    You are right. I am sometimes a bit of a opinionated fool. Apologies.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Joelsim wrote:
    You are right. I am sometimes a bit of a opinionated fool. Apologies.

To be fair, it'd be a dull place without opinionated fools! :lol:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Joelsim wrote:
    What you said about Stokey is entirely correct. A very friendly place indeed with loads of choice when going out. Lived in or near Croydon for five years and can count the number of times I went out there on two hands. Not my bag at all. Two meals for £10 with a pint thrown in. No thanks.

if you choose to eat in a wetherspoons what exactly are you expecting? Croydon has a couple of pretty good restaurants
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

if you choose to eat in a wetherspoons what exactly are you expecting? Croydon has a couple of pretty good restaurants

If you wander down High Street/South End, there're dozens of restaurants serving food from regions all over the world. They can't be all bad.