Londoners: SW or SE?

Comments

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    PinkPedal wrote:
    I'm considering the opposite move towards the end of the year - Clapham to Crystal Palace area. Where I live is great (especially easy access to Richmond Park and superfast embankment commute, tube for when I need it, tooting lido near , green spaces, etc) but it looks as though for not that much more than I pay for a shared flat I could rent a place myself in SE!! I do love SW though, it's very nice, I just wish it wasn't quite so pricey. I don't think you'll regret trying it dhope.

Would it be crazy to commute back through Clapham and along embankmnet from SE??

That's because everyone wants to live in Clapham so it demands a higher price. If you live in surrounding arears like Balham, Tooting, Colliers Wood or Morden, which are no more than a couple miles from Clapham (Morden is a little further) I think you'll find the prices more agreeable.

You will also be able to do exactly all the things you enjoy now and be closer to Kingston, Richmond Park, Surrey and lovely green spaces.

Balham is just as expensive as Clapham these days...they have a Waitrose, so are 100% gentrified.

Tooting and Collierswood are pretty mingin' and largely full of Morleys/Dallas Chicken shops and late night mini markets...I used to really love that as it suited my tastes on the way home from the pub and I miss it now that I live in Clapham. I very much doubt that a lady would perceive the benefits of such establishments in the same was as I do though. You have to go to Southfields/Wimbledon to find 'cheap and nice'.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    PinkPedal wrote:
    I'm considering the opposite move towards the end of the year - Clapham to Crystal Palace area. Where I live is great (especially easy access to Richmond Park and superfast embankment commute, tube for when I need it, tooting lido near , green spaces, etc) but it looks as though for not that much more than I pay for a shared flat I could rent a place myself in SE!! I do love SW though, it's very nice, I just wish it wasn't quite so pricey. I don't think you'll regret trying it dhope.

Would it be crazy to commute back through Clapham and along embankmnet from SE??

That's because everyone wants to live in Clapham so it demands a higher price. If you live in surrounding arears like Balham, Tooting, Colliers Wood or Morden, which are no more than a couple miles from Clapham (Morden is a little further) I think you'll find the prices more agreeable.

You will also be able to do exactly all the things you enjoy now and be closer to Kingston, Richmond Park, Surrey and lovely green spaces.

Balham is just as expensive as Clapham these days...they have a Waitrose, so are 100% gentrified.

Tooting and Collierswood are pretty mingin' and largely full of Morleys/Dallas Chicken shops and late night mini markets...I used to really love that as it suited my tastes on the way home from the pub and I miss it now that I live in Clapham. I very much doubt that a lady would perceive the benefits of such establishments in the same was as I do though. You have to go to Southfields/Wimbledon to find 'cheap and nice'.

We have completely different perspectives on this. I'd rent in Tooting/Colliers Wood, I wouldn't necessarily buy a place there however. But Clapham/Balham/Battersea and Wandsworth by the common are expensive.

I have never heard Wimbeldon referred to as 'cheap and nice'. I think you've just achieved a new level of middleclassness.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Not quite sure why our perspectives would be 'completely different'.

Re Wimbledon - its not cheap by any stretch, but I have been looking into moving there and you can get a lot more bang for your buck rent wise - two bedroom garden flat for the same price as a one bedroom flat near the common in Clapham. Having said that an estate agents definition of Wimbledon seems to be huge. I suspect the council tax in Wimbledon is a lot.
  • PinkPedal
    PinkPedal Posts: 180
    I think it's just preference? Balham is pretty much on a par pricewise, same with Wimbledon... I think I'd rather head SE than Colliers Wood/Morden having just learned to drive round there. Morden has more of a suburban feel. A good mate lives in Forest Hill and it's quite nice there, close to Dulwich Park, horniman museum etc. Also Crystal palace has a good pool and a tri club I fancy joining. I've spent 11 years in SW so time for a change! Never North London though, oh no! I'll stop hijacking dhope's thread now though :D nice to be posting, BR login is banned by my work firewall.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    dhope wrote:
    kieranb wrote:
    Well, too late now, but crystal palace would be a great location, good travel connections, near to herne Hill velodrome and in the summer the crits at CP, not far from the North Downs either. You have the local hills to train on and are near to Dulwich Park, Sydenham woods and Crystal Palace park itself, with its sports centre and olympic sized pool.

Lived in Anerley for 20 years, don't fancy CP. as an area. Good for training certainly though.

You grew up in Beckenham, spent 20 years in Annerly, moved to Greenwich, Maize Hill and Charlton... You can't leave man, you're clearly part of the furniture in SE London!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • dm38
    dm38 Posts: 47
    Lived in both and headed over to the SE in 2007 after living in Southfields and Wimbledon for a couple of years after graduating. It had a great post-student lifestyle, good bars etc but public transport was a nightmare – the only night bus from central London at the time would run hourly and drop me off 1.5miles away from my flat – not great at 3am when no one was around. Plus getting into central London for work used to take me an hr and a half as the district line was always delayed and slow and the alternative of Clapham junction was just as long. (I only became obsessed with cycling and commuting to work via bike in 2007 when I moved so I’m sure I would have saved a tonne of time if I cycled in)

Since 2007 I’ve lived in East Dulwich and Forest Hill. I find the quality of life to be much better – it’s more suburban and quieter, I get so much more for my money (I rent) – in both FH and ED I’ve lived in a big house, all the rooms are a good decent size, with a decent sized garden, brilliant neighbours etc. On both occasions in the SW I paid the same as I am paying now and had a match box flat with no garden etc. I bike into work including on snow days so my use of public transport is very limited but last year I had an operation so I spent a month on tubes and it only took 20 minutes to get me to work via the east London line (I’m sure you’re familiar with if you currently live in the SE).

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side :P
  • Headhuunter
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Both have their plus points and negative points.

SW benefits from the underground. SE benefits from it's direct access to the city.

I prefer SW.

SE has the London Overground now with trains every 5 mins and also has direct links straight to Lon Br, Waterloo and Charing X stations. Train takes about 10 mins to Lon Br from where live... About 15 mins to Charing X for the West End etc...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    SW is more expensive because it's soooo much better. Not that I'm biased or anything.
  • Headhuunter
    Ooh, ooh, I've just thought of another benefit of SE London... There are a lot more large supermarkets. Within cycling distance of me there are 2 large Sainsbury's, 2 large Tescos, a gigantic Asda and a big Morrisons. In Islington I was forced to do my shopping at those poxy Tesco Metro and Sainsbury's local places which sell have less choice and higher prices. There is more space for big shops in SE London, like Decathlon for example....
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    You can take your Richmond Park and your fancy bars and all that . . .

. . . we've got the Catford Centre.

(and a stoneybridge)
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    I spent about 8 years in Crystal Palace and loved it - loved the leafiness, the proximity to Kent hills, the cafes etc, the pool, the sense of calm etc. I didn't however love the trains only every 30 mins on Sunday, which you inevitably missed if on way back from a wedding or whatever. And the night bus from centre of town on a Saturday night seemed to take FOREVER. Long enough to fall asleep, wake up and still not be home.

I now live in Clapham and whilst I like being nearer work, social life and RP, it's just a manic are, all the time. The hideous traffic, the constant aircraft noise, the train noise. GAH. And I find cycling through 20 miles of sprawling London before getting anywhere nice on the weekend somewhat wearisome. I don't think I'll stay here too long.

So depends what you want, I guess? Do you want a quiet life or manic social life? If the latter, Clapham's your place. But bring your earplugs.
  • Headhuunter
    I spent about 8 years in Crystal Palace and loved it - loved the leafiness, the proximity to Kent hills, the cafes etc, the pool, the sense of calm etc. I didn't however love the trains only every 30 mins on Sunday, which you inevitably missed if on way back from a wedding or whatever. And the night bus from centre of town on a Saturday night seemed to take FOREVER. Long enough to fall asleep, wake up and still not be home.

I now live in Clapham and whilst I like being nearer work, social life and RP, it's just a manic are, all the time. The hideous traffic, the constant aircraft noise, the train noise. GAH. And I find cycling through 20 miles of sprawling London before getting anywhere nice on the weekend somewhat wearisome. I don't think I'll stay here too long.

So depends what you want, I guess? Do you want a quiet life or manic social life? If the latter, Clapham's your place. But bring your earplugs.

CP is connected to the ELL/Overground now, so trains every 5 mins or so from Highbury and Islington down...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    dm38 wrote:
    Lived in both and headed over to the SE in 2007 after living in Southfields and Wimbledon for a couple of years after graduating. It had a great post-student lifestyle, good bars etc but public transport was a nightmare – the only night bus from central London at the time would run hourly and drop me off 1.5miles away from my flat – not great at 3am when no one was around. Plus getting into central London for work used to take me an hr and a half as the district line was always delayed and slow and the alternative of Clapham junction was just as long. (I only became obsessed with cycling and commuting to work via bike in 2007 when I moved so I’m sure I would have saved a tonne of time if I cycled in)

Since 2007 I’ve lived in East Dulwich and Forest Hill. I find the quality of life to be much better – it’s more suburban and quieter, I get so much more for my money (I rent) – in both FH and ED I’ve lived in a big house, all the rooms are a good decent size, with a decent sized garden, brilliant neighbours etc. On both occasions in the SW I paid the same as I am paying now and had a match box flat with no garden etc. I bike into work including on snow days so my use of public transport is very limited but last year I had an operation so I spent a month on tubes and it only took 20 minutes to get me to work via the east London line (I’m sure you’re familiar with if you currently live in the SE).

East London line is very new though, it was pony when I lived around Crystal Palace. Rarely venture into town, prefer bars a few miles out of London rather than central.
    Commuting by bike, having tube nearby should, at worst (best!) mean I just buy a better bike so that I don't need to use it.

Catford does have that big cat by the shopping centre though. That's nearly swung it back to the SE :D

P7210022-300x225.jpg

How does the KFC do business underneath? Surely the cat scares away all the rodents.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    dhope wrote:
    dm38 wrote:

East London line is very new though, it was pony when I lived around Crystal Palace. Rarely venture into town, prefer bars a few miles out of London rather than central.
    Commuting by bike, having tube nearby should, at worst (best!) mean I just buy a better bike so that I don't need to use it.

Catford does have that big cat by the shopping centre though. That's nearly swung it back to the SE :D

P7210022-300x225.jpg

How does the KFC do business underneath? Surely the cat scares away all the rodents.

Weren't they going to get rid of that cat a year or 2 ago? But there was a public outcry!
  • dhope
    P7210022-300x225.jpg

Weren't they going to get rid of that cat a year or 2 ago? But there was a public outcry![/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catford

"as well as some independent shops in the punningly-named Catford Mews."

:lol::lol:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644

CP is connected to the ELL/Overground now, so trains every 5 mins or so from Highbury and Islington down...

Ah well I was actually in Gipsy Hill, not CP, so the ELL doesn't help much - was using a general area description, forgetting there are proper SE londoners on here!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Ooh, ooh, I've just thought of another benefit of SE London... There are a lot more large supermarkets. Within cycling distance of me there are 2 large Sainsbury's, 2 large Tescos, a gigantic Asda and a big Morrisons. In Islington I was forced to do my shopping at those poxy Tesco Metro and Sainsbury's local places which sell have less choice and higher prices. There is more space for big shops in SE London, like Decathlon for example....

Sorry, mate, but I'm not seeing the name "Waitrose" in all of that.

We also have pleasant walks by the river, the towpath to Hampton Court Palace, the delights of picnics in Bushy Park on a beautiful summer's day (rare, admittedly) and easter egg hunts in Ham House.

And the best SCR action in town. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Headhuunter
    dhope wrote:
    P7210022-300x225.jpg

Weren't they going to get rid of that cat a year or 2 ago? But there was a public outcry!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catford

"as well as some independent shops in the punningly-named Catford Mews."

:lol::lol:[/quote]

Aaah, good old Catford. I still have a soft spot for it having lived there for 2½ years when I 1st came to London...
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    SW pretentious up their own arses.

SE London a sh1thole. I have this misfortune to work in Charlton and was also born here.

It's a dive and it gets no better in the surrounding areas unless you have the money to live in Greenwich town centre or Blackheath Village.

Hospital shite, schools shite, shops shite people scumbags mostly.

I moved to leafy Kent as soon as I could.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I've lived in Tooting (okay), Clapham (hated it), Highbury (cool but expensive), East Dulwich (sweet - nice for couples) and now... Surrey.

Leave London. You won't look back and the commute is great.
  • Headhuunter
    cjcp wrote:

We also have pleasant walks by the river, the towpath to Hampton Court Palace, the delights of picnics in Bushy Park on a beautiful summer's day (rare, admittedly) and easter egg hunts in Ham House.

Waitrose is overpriced... Keep it! We have errm the Thames Path to the Thames Barrier! We also have the old Admiralty College, Queen's House, Ranger's House, The Observatory, the planeterium and the beautiful views from Greenwich Park
  • dhope
    and the beautiful views from Greenwich Park

What, over to SW? :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    I've lived in Tooting (okay), Clapham (hated it), Highbury (cool but expensive), East Dulwich (sweet - nice for couples) and now... Surrey.

He works in an investment bank, if he leaves London he'll still have to get back in on a daily basis. There aren't many investment banking jobs in Bognor Regis....
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    [quote="clarkey cat"Leave London. You won't look back and the commute is great.[/quote]

Cracking advice.
  • dhope
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Cracking advice.

Parents did that, out to Ashford. Nice big house, few acres, all green. Quaint, maybe when I retire ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    you can commute by bike from the home counties. I work in the City too and just ride from Walton. Its not too bad.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    oh. I forgot, we have the multiplex in Peckham!

Easy to get to Brixton from Dulwich, Forest Hill etc, near brockwell park and it's lido and ritzy cinema and other night life there. But best bit is affordable (London wise) nice houses in quite areas.
  • Headhuunter
    kieranb wrote:
    oh. I forgot, we have the multiplex in Peckham!

Easy to get to Brixton from Dulwich, Forest Hill etc, near brockwell park and it's lido and ritzy cinema and other night life there. But best bit is affordable (London wise) nice houses in quite areas.

And Frank's Cafe and Campari Bar on top of the multi storey car park next to the cinema! That place is brilliant - great views, good food, overpriced but what the hell...

http://www.frankscafe.org.uk/
  • samivel
    samivel Posts: 81
    cjcp wrote:

I can think of two waitrose and am sure there are more. We have Eltham Palace, much classier :wink:
    Samivel

Black Allez, FCN 5, will always try to say hello.
    Normal commute - Eltham, Greenwich, London Bridge
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

And Frank's Cafe and Campari Bar on top of the multi storey car park next to the cinema! That place is brilliant - great views, good food, overpriced but what the hell...

If you want great views, good food that's overpriced, surely SW is the only way forward?

Took me a couple of months to adjust to the extraordinarily high levels of talent walking around Fulham after I moved.