I want to name my bike.

2»

Comments

• Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    Why don't you think of a lass you knew in your late teens who used to put it about a bit and name it after her. Rather apt I think.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Rolf F wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I wonder where the crossover point is? Ekranoplans perhaps. The Caspian Sea Monster?

That's a generic term though (although I think there were only about 3 of the big Ekranoplans).

When the Yanks saw the KM on surveillance photos of the coast of the Caspian Sea they didn't know what it was but they knew it was massive so they dubbed it the Caspian Sea Monster.

If the Soviets had manufactured a fleet of those things in the late 60s/early 70s they could have launched a surprise attack on the American coast, but in the age of nuclear missiles, it was never going to happen.
    M.A.D.

I see Iran now have a military Ekranoplan fleet!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

But I presume those are the ones about the size of a Cessna?

The Russkis always did have a knack of making things look evil. Would be great to see one of the original Ekranoplans in action. I think all survive. Incidentally, the Sebastian Faulks James Bond novel features Ekranoplans.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    The Bike
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As I bought the commuter as a bare black painted frame (no idea at the time what it had been) I called it the Black Bomber, the mountain bike I call 'My mountain bike' to differentaite from the 2 daughters, the wifes and the daughters BF's MTBs that we also have at home.....

My Old Ford Sierra is called the Wolf as the reg plate is E***VUK, Vuk being Serbian for Wolf (I used to house share with a Serbian)..

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Rolf F wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

But I presume those are the ones about the size of a Cessna?

The Russkis always did have a knack of making things look evil. Would be great to see one of the original Ekranoplans in action. I think all survive. Incidentally, the Sebastian Faulks James Bond novel features Ekranoplans.

The KM (the original Caspian Sea Monster) was taken out for a test flight in 1980 and an inexperienced pilot crashed and destroyed it. RIP.

The Iranian ones are diddy. Not much room for any payload, but a mass 'martyrdom mission' attack could probably attack a warship, low level kamikazi stylee. Probably good for attacking oil tankers too.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Dave.
  • I call mine Eddie White
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    girls
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Keith1983 wrote:
    Why don't you think of a lass you knew in your late teens who used to put it about a bit and name it after her. Rather apt I think.

Mum? That's a rubbish name for a bike!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    My 2 year old son has named my bikes as "Your Fast Bike" which is the Sunday carbon bike, "Your Slowly bike" which is the commuter, and "Bumpy's bike" as the frame was my dad's who's known as Bumpy. Every time I come home he runs up to me to say hello and ask "Is that your Slowly bike?". Very cute, but I just call them "the Fuji", "the commuter", and "the single speed".

So, if you want to liken yourself to a 2 year old boy, knock yourself out ;)
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    Our national pride KLM (no longer 'ours' it is part Jerry and part Yank nowadays) has names on the fusilages of all their planes.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    The District is Dizzy, the Felt is Custard and the Islabike is Ruby. The new bike in Ti will be known as Hands Off Or Risk Injury.

If you want naming inspiration I love the ones given to ships by Ian M Banks :-)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rolf_f
    Ok then, if you must name your bike, get a pink Mixte and name it Mabel. :lol:
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I'm not a girl so I don't tend to name my inanimate objects :lol:

Why do ships have names but not aircraft?

Ships are generally referred to as being female because they are considered to have a temperament. I wasn't something that caught on with that new fangled 20th Century invention called the aircraft :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • rolf_f
    NGale wrote:
    Ships are generally referred to as being female because they are considered to have a temperament. I wasn't something that caught on with that new fangled 20th Century invention called the aircraft :lol:

Maybe also partly to do with numbers. Ultimately, aircraft were always churned out in far higher numbers and, in military terms, more expendable.

Of course, the smaller naval ships did get produced in decent numbers but it is notable that, in the case of destroyers, corvettes etc, Germany just numbered a lot of them. Of course, the Brits put a name to anything bigger than a lifeboat......
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Rolf F wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Maybe also partly to do with numbers. Ultimately, aircraft were always churned out in far higher numbers and, in military terms, more expendable.

Of course, the smaller naval ships did get produced in decent numbers but it is notable that, in the case of destroyers, corvettes etc, Germany just numbered a lot of them. Of course, the Brits put a name to anything bigger than a lifeboat......

It's a historic thing more than anything, sailors are a superstious bunch and regardless of the name of the ship they will still be refered to as 'she'

One of the o/h's old ships is still known to as 'that old bitch' to him as she was a temperamental ship engine wise and there were always problems,
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    There will always be exceptions to the naming convention e.g. Enola Gay, but whilst I can name ships from now until next week, you would run out of aircraft names pretty quickly. We don't say Colin the Concorde for example.

VIrgin still name all their planes generally after women who sound like they would have a good time onboard. BA used to name their planes them but not sure if they bother with all the smaller Airbus they operate.

I'm obviously not a proper girl since I don't have names for any inanimate objects that I own. I do have a name for my sourdough starter, Sammy, but since he's a live organism that I have to feed and water regularly, I tell myself it doesn't count. However, I'd never think of naming my tomato plants so go figure...
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    NGale wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    NGale wrote:

It's a historic thing more than anything, sailors are a superstious bunch and regardless of the name of the ship they will still be refered to as 'she'

One of the o/h's old ships is still known to as 'that old *****' to him as she was a temperamental ship engine wise and there were always problems,

Another issue is that aircraft (which, as has been pointed, are often named but no-one gives a flying...), like railway locomotives, tend to be produced in volume to a standard design, whereas ships, even when they are built to the same overall plans, usually differ in detail from each other by a large amount. I guess wha I mean is that, as objects, ships have more individuality and are as such more likely to anthropomorphised. Even when ships are built to a standard design in very large numbers, like the wartime 'Liberties', the old tradition holds.

As for ships being 'tempremental', that would most definitely apply to steam railway engines as well. I prefer to think of the female anthropomorphising as being more down to the idea that they are usually sailed/driven by men, who realise that they have to treat her with respect, gentleness, and subtlety in order to get the best response from her, and that ill-treatment simply puts her back up. This may be why sailors traditionally swear at Olympic level, and why some of the engine drivers I worked with back in the 70s could give them a run for thier money.

Like Swiss Tony making love to a beautiful woman........
  • EKE_38BPM
    bails87 wrote:
    Keith1983 wrote:

Ah, but "Your mum!" appeals to the school-boy in me.

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    You should NEVER anthropomorphosize a vehicle because they don't like it.

SWIDT :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Keith1983 wrote:

Ah, but "Your mum!" appeals to the school-boy in me.

And to the school-boy in her....