I want to name my bike.

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
A fellow blogger has named his new, special carbon bike, the Unfat Machine, i'd like to give my new, special bike , a quirky name along the same lines too, then get a sticker or 2 made up.

Suggestions ?
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Bernard.

It's short for... um... burn lard? Mebbe not.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    My bike already had a name when I got it and his name is written on it too.

Apparently it is called Ernesto!

Badoom tish! Just leavin'...............
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Arthur Mann. (or Arfur Mann) as in You're 'arf the man you used to be.

I've got a little fluffy toy badger I found abandoned in the snow zip tied on the front of my Street Ultra bike. There's no model name on the frame so the last service receipt I have is for a Cannondale Badger. I figure that'll do for it, but the others haven't got names.

The Badgers name is Roadkill.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    All my bikes have names; today I think I'll take Bambi to work;
    '96 Gazelle Champion Mondial with Shimano 600, in red.

My mtb was cobbled together one Christmas Eve, I got a bit carried away and worked on it until the early hours, whence it was born; I call him Little Baby Jesus.

My BSA was bought from a retired Edinburgh Traffic Warden; Blue Meanie

A friend at work hated fixed wheel bikes being called 'Fixies' (he was a track god in a former life) so I bought a Fixie Inc and called it 'Fixie' just to annoy him.

Ahh, I could go on, my first bike with suspension was called 'Bob', my first real road bike is called 'Sweetness', the tandem was called 'George&Mildred'...

Naming bikes or cars shows you don't take it to seriously (my car's called Lance btw).
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • saintdracula
    saintdracula Posts: 232
    How about - Cadelle?
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    My Bianchi's called Daphne, 'cos she's celeste.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'm not a girl so I don't tend to name my inanimate objects :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    my Kona is called Bona (obviously)

My Scott is called Lynyrd (after Lynyrd Skynyrd)

Trek is called Jim (morrison)

Tricross is called Frankenfurter (rocky horror show - trisexual)

ive always named stuff, my suzuki samurai is called Sedrick, my Astra is called Dave
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    gb155 wrote:
    I want to name my bike

Are you a girl?

Seriously, you can call it The Mountain Bike, The Bianchi, The Trek etc but calling it Maureen or something?

Give yer 'ed a shake.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Arthur Mann. (or Arfur Mann) as in You're 'arf the man you used to be.

I've got a little fluffy toy badger I found abandoned in the snow zip tied on the front of my Street Ultra bike. There's no model name on the frame so the last service receipt I have is for a Cannondale Badger. I figure that'll do for it, but the others haven't got names.

The Badgers name is Roadkill.

Or Bernard, as in Hinault?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    Mine don't really have any names but I think I will henceforth call my Dawes, George
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    edited June 2011
    double post
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I call my bike many things ,usually when I get a puncture or I cant get my second foot clipped in at the lights !! :shock: :D
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Rolf F wrote:

+1
    I never understand that.

Why do ships have names but not aircraft?
    Why do (did) trains have names, but not portable generators?

If I were to name any of my bikes, it would probably be Sarah, after a former girlfriend who loved a good, hard, sweaty ride. Maybe Gaz could name his bike after his favourite shag.

Or his wife.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    How about "Bob" after Count Blackadder's servant Kate.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have thought about naming my bikes. but then I feel like a silly child and give up.

So mine are called Road Bike and the other Mountain Bike.
  • saintdracula
    saintdracula Posts: 232
    Actually, I call my bikes rats and demons. The former out of affection; the latter out of fear.

I also have a name for my rear derailleur - t***.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    t4tomo wrote:
    gb155 wrote:
    I want to name my bike

Are you a girl?

Seriously, you can call it The Mountain Bike, The Bianchi, The Trek etc but calling it Maureen or something?

Give yer 'ed a shake.

+1

The only acceptable 'name' for bikes or cars is to put "the" in front of the model or brand name.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

This made me think of Memphis Belle, Enola Gay and Fifi, but names like that weren't official.

When I bought my first Beetle, the girl I bought it from told me "his name's Bruce." I just called it the Beetle. I did sometimes refer to my Tipo as Mona, mainly because the registration mark was M265 ONA.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

+1
    I never understand that.

Why do (did) trains have names, but not portable generators?

Ships are named as part of an ongoing tradition which dates back at least to the 'Argo' in the Bronze Age (the oldest recorded ship name), but probably to the late Neolithic when the first sea-going vessel was built, and then some way of distinguishing it from the second had to be found. Ancient ships had eyes painted on so they could see where they were going as well, a custom still continued on fishing boats in the Mediterranean and Red Seas. Aircraft did have names ('Spirit of St.Louis', and the Empire and Clipper flying boats), and some still do, though no-one notices any more.

Railway engines had names as part of a tradition rooted in the names of the horses that these iron horses replaced, but this mostly died out with the end of the steam engines, possibly because the diesel ones are in fact a form of portable generator. Like the aircraft, some still do, but who bothers to look at the front of a train when they get on in these soul-less times; no-one notices (or cares) any more. Everyone has heard of the 'Flying Scotsman', but I challenge anyone to name a modern locomotive unless they are a spotter (railway workers are excluded from this prizeless competition, and 'Tornado' doesn't count, being new as opposed to modern).

For reasons I cannot explain and do not wish to enlarge upon, my vacuum cleaner is called Horrid Boris. He sucks.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I tend to refer to my bikes as The Gloss White Bike (road) and The Matt Black Bike (MTB).

A guy I know calls his car "Weebl" because the last three letters of the reg are WBL.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Agent57 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

This made me think of Memphis Belle, Enola Gay and Fifi, but names like that weren't official.

When I bought my first Beetle, the girl I bought it from told me "his name's Bruce." I just called it the Beetle. I did sometimes refer to my Tipo as Mona, mainly because the registration mark was M265 ONA.

There will always be exceptions to the naming convention e.g. Enola Gay, but whilst I can name ships from now until next week, you would run out of aircraft names pretty quickly. We don't say Colin the Concorde for example.

I wonder where the crossover point is? Ekranoplans perhaps. The Caspian Sea Monster? 58005.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    The American folksinger Woody Guthrie (?) had a sticker on his guitar: "This Machine Kills Facists"

You could adapt this to "This Machine Kills Fat"

Or something.

Not quite on topic but there you go......
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Girlfriend named her last ride "Daisy the Death Bike"

Named thus due to the disturbing tendancy of being able to madly scrub the handlebars front and back to not a great deal of movement on the front wheel.

Bike sadly departed to the big crusher in the sky, but most definitely a good thing.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I wonder where the crossover point is? Ekranoplans perhaps. The Caspian Sea Monster?

That's a generic term though (although I think there were only about 3 of the big Ekranoplans).

Railway machinery is as much named as it ever was though sadly without the romance - a lot of it seems to be glorified corporate sponsorship. Many names are now in the form of stickers which is surely scraping the bottom of the barrel; does the name even survive a repaint? Names are routinely switched around which is also pretty poor.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    ahem..

Suzy Soda
    Ribecca Ribble
    Cindy Cinercone (went to town on that one!)

My mate:-

Roxy Rigid
    Wilma Whyte

His Missus

Trekkie the...erm...Trek (cos she used to be a bit of a Trekkie)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    I name my cars. Just with the first thing that springs to mind. I had a red diesel 205 called Maureen, then an MG called Alfred, followed by a Vectra called Stanley and now I have a 307 called Paddy. No reasoning behind it just the first thing that pops into my head.
  • Stiff_Orange
    Stiff_Orange Posts: 218
    I have a habit of put a Y on the end of everything and prefixing it with 'THE'

So I have

The Lappy (Lapierre Zesty)
    The Maxxy (Kinesis Maxlight)
    The Clocky* (Retro Orange Clockwork)
    The Tarmy* (Spesh Tarmac)

and The Commuter Bike, because I refuse to call it Scotty.

* in my mind these should technically be spelled Clockie and Tarmie

But I reserve the right to temporary rename anyone of them "You F**king piece of Cr*p" when something goes wrong or breaks.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    My S1 is called Lee after Maggie Gyllenhaal's character in Secretary; every time I take her for a ride she begs for a good thrashing.....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Dusty and Fritz