So, anyone else get nearly drowned on the way home?

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
So anyone else get hit by a deluge? I had standing water in my shoes when I got in and I'm not sure if I need to wash my kit or just put it in the dryer it has been that thoroughly rinsed. Could hardly see where I was going at times. Obviously, five minutes after I got in it stopped.....
Even patches of blue sky........

P.S. apologies for the bike related thread!
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Rolf F wrote:

How dare you! This thread is taking up scarce space on the internet that could be better used with pointless and endless debate about kids and beneft that will answer nothing, solve nothing and is highly unlikely to change anybody's opinions.

Seriously though, I got totally soaked a couple of weeks ago when only in lycra and I feel your pain.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

How dare you! This thread is taking up scarce space on the internet that could be better used with pointless and endless debate about kids and beneft that will answer nothing, solve nothing and is highly unlikely to change anybody's opinions.

Seriously though, I got totally soaked a couple of weeks ago when only in lycra and I feel your pain.
    Point taken, I think we got swept up in it a bit. I wasn't working alone though your honour! :oops:
    Rolf, I am just down the road from you and missed the actual rain but everywhere was so wet I was drenched.
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Nope - dry here AGAIN! Very few wet rides this year.... :D
    Still breathing.....
  • EKE_38BPM
    hambones wrote:

Does The Receptionist need some lube?

• Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    hambones wrote:

Now if it rains solidly for the next week, we'll know who to blame!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I thought it was raining here - but then i realised that it was just the sweat dribling down my chin! :shock:

BTW its pouring now!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Still on about that eh? :D:D (No btw!)
    Still breathing.....
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    hambones wrote:
    Still on about that eh? :D:D (No btw!)

Never to be forgotten 8)
  • rolf_f
    Now it's actually sunny outside. This takes the biscuit. If I get pneumonia and die I am so going to blame someone or something for it.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Couple of spits n spots but nothing really tonight.... now tomorrow and Friday, that's going to be another story...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Missed it - wet roads, but managed the longer route home ! Just overshoes needed !
  • rolf_f
    Didn't bother with any of that. As it happens, all I had in terms of extra kit was a lightweight boil in the bag waterproof. It was a bit damp when I left work but I correctly guessed that whatever happened this evening, the waterproof wouldn't help - it stayed in the rucksack :lol:
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    According to the local forecast (BBC), there was a chance of light showers, increasing in the afternoon. In fact the light showers turned up and turned nasty, mid-morning. Luckily I had just time to stop and put a jacket on :) On the way back (from the Pub) there is a long straight road, I looked ahead and there was a strange mist about 200M in front of me. Not heavy rain but a sort of 100% wetness phenomenon :?

After that it all sort of faded away and the rest of the ride was dry :) but increasingly windy :( Again the forecast reckonned it was 'light, from the south', I got blustery from ahead. Still, no problem deciding what goes in the washing machine - all of it. Except the jacket, of course.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I got absolutely soaked, first time in ages.

The kitchen floor looked like the washer had flooded.
  • I did get pretty wet, however halfway home one of my neighbours recognised the stupid sodden cyclist who was cycling in the wet stuff, stopped and gave me a lift home.

Whilst driving last night the heavens opened with torrential rain; I did feel sorry for the cyclist wearing jeans and heavy jumper who would have absolutely, and completely, soaked. (IMO He was a pillock though: no lights and cycling along the pavement)
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    dry as a bone in liverpool last night, it had been raining in the day though, its looking proper grey today aswell
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    uhm, massive deluge just now in london (SW)!!! omg that was intense! wasnt riding tho - just watching it from my living room :)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    drowned and to add insult to injury, my brakes didn't work :shock:
  • mudcow007
    looks like its going to be a wet one today, said on the weather this morning heavy down pours at 16:00 just in time for hometime

i cant wait

i giggle like a school girl when it lashes it down
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cycled under the edge of a cloud, very hard rain (stopped under a tree and put the Wproof on) for about 5 or 6 minutes then out the other side, got home in sunshine with the waterproof flapping like a Nodders hi-vis. put bike away and then it turned biblical about 10 minutes later.

If I could have seen across the back garden I'm sure I'd have seen Noah going by......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I'm on a night ride to Whitstable tonight and, given last nights downpour, I am a little concerned that my limited swimming skills might be put to the test :shock:

I really hope our Rochester stop has tumble dryers on standby :)
  • Mark Bom
    Mark Bom Posts: 184
    I was lucky yesterday, I got to work just as it started and in the afternoon I nipped off early while it wasn't raining and got in before the deluge. :D
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    richVSrich wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    ain't even been a sniff of rain here so far, im a bit gutted to be honest
  • Sailorchick
    Sailorchick Posts: 202
    Got well and truly soaked on the way into work yesterday. Was getting very funny looks from drivers, probably not helped as I decided it was still warm enough for just shorts and t-shirt (i'd sweat too much in waterproofs, so might as well get soaked with rain water).

Thankfully the server room makes a great drying room and it stayed dry for the ride home.

Currently chucking it down in Soton but hoping it will ease off by hometime.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    I have angered the Lords of the Velominati with blatant breaches of Rule 9 the last two days, taking the train/tube due to a combination of a cold coming on, hangovers and the weather. Trying to repent by recanting Rule 5 non-stop until I get on the bike again, which is getting me some odd looks in the office. In mitigation I plead I am now in conformity with Rule 25 after a recent purchase.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • EKE_38BPM
    Got well and truly soaked on the way into work yesterday. Was getting very funny looks from drivers, probably not helped as I decided it was still warm enough for just shorts and t-shirt

Seen the headline in the Southern Daily Echo?
    Hottie in wet t-shirt wonders why "drivers were looking at her" shock!

• Sailorchick
    Sailorchick Posts: 202
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Got well and truly soaked on the way into work yesterday. Was getting very funny looks from drivers, probably not helped as I decided it was still warm enough for just shorts and t-shirt

I did have the sense to wear a dark, thick material t-shirt :)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I did have the sense to wear a dark, thick material t-shirt :)

Booo!