What would happen...

MonkeyMonster
MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
If the top 100 most weekly prolific posters all turned up to the same "tardis" pub to enjoy some beverages and banter...

:D
Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    If the top 100 most weekly prolific posters all turned up to the same "tardis" pub to enjoy some beverages and banter...

Only one way to find out. FIGHT.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232

A rather expensive round and you'd better hope you have a good memory?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Sounds fun. Morpeth on Friday?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Well - for one: us northern lot would drink you Southern shandy drinking puffs under the table. :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I don't reckon I'd get a look in...... :(
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Well - for one: us northern lot would drink you Southern shandy drinking puffs under the table. :lol:

Nah, whilst you Northern drunkards were at the bar (again) we'd disapear off with your burds (who you've been beating up) due to our suave demeanor and better personal hygiene!.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

There would be far fewer arguments than there are on the forums!
  • [/quote]

There would be far fewer arguments than there are on the forums![/quote]

Have you read the posts on this thread? :?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Have you read the posts on this thread? :?

He means that there would be far less opportunity for people to subtly misinterpret a point and turn the whole slight misinterpretation into 12 pages of bickering :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    not really sure what that londoner is all about

scotland is the place to drink, and free ride, and with my nice accent those english birds are putty......

blaooow :shock:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    im game, not going to one of them poncy arty farty gaffs in london thoug

i suppose to make it fair we would all have to meet in the middle aka the midlands
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited June 2011
    Generally speaking I'm a likable guy. However, like Greg, CIB, LiT et al are grammar nazi's I am incredibly argumentative. Over the years, both socially and professionally, I've learned to (i) tone it down and internalise and (ii) in social situations avoid people who have a knack for setting me off. :x

I like discussion, debate, thoughts and opinons, facts. I like people sharing their perspectives of the World, and while I may not agree will have learned a new way of looking at things. Contrary to popular belief I almost don't think I'm right almost all of time. - This slant on things keeps me open minded, allows me to learn and keeps me honest. Challenging the other viewpoint is a way of learning for me.

Religion, politics, the state of society, ethnicity, ethics and philosphy aren't topics I think are taboo. But I accept that most do so in most social situations I don't raise these as topics of discussion. I keep the conversation at the surface layer and save the heated debate for my friends who relish it.

Sigh there was a time when the above would be too much conformity for me and I would debate about that. I miss that guy...

Admittingly on t'net there is no reason to exert such restraint. It is a well known Internet phenomena. I do however (much like I do in life) litter my posts with my other personality traits to attempt to give balance.

That said, on the few occasions I've been to the Morpeth, I exert the two points in my first paragraph.

For these reasons if people like JR, W1, Dilemma were to frequent the Morpeth and I was aware they were I would probably not attend (but be incredibly torn in doing so). The rest of the time I choose not to go but have greatly enjoyed the times I have been.

Agree with this or disagree with it, this approach has served me well in life and I and my life are just fine and well adjusted.

That answer the question?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rolf_f
    mudcow007 wrote:

i suppose to make it fair we would all have to meet in the middle aka the midlands

The Midlands isn't the middle unless we wall off Scotland!
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Rolf F wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Oh wow, I never realised that was actually a realistic possibility...

:wink::lol:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Rolf F wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

hang on hasn't someone once tried this before?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rolf_f
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    For these reasons if people like JR, W1, Dilemma were to frequent the Morpeth and I was aware they were I would probably not attend (but be incredibly torn in doing so).

Have you met them? I make no assumptions about people based on internet personality. If I did, I'd be scared to meet you as I'd assume that any minor difference of opinion would be met by a verbal attack on my jugular. I'm certainly far more argumentative on forums than I am in person - to some extent I use the forums to vent off a bit.
  • rolf_f
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Dunno but it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Anyone got any cement and stones?
  • DonDaddyD
    edited June 2011
    Rolf F wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    For these reasons if people like JR, W1, Dilemma were to frequent the Morpeth and I was aware they were I would probably not attend (but be incredibly torn in doing so).

Have you met them? I make no assumptions about people based on internet personality. If I did, I'd be scared to meet you as I'd assume that any minor difference of opinion would be met by a verbal attack on my jugular. I'm certainly far more argumentative on forums than I am in person - to some extent I use the forums to vent off a bit.

I'm just being honest.

I would be lying if I said I make and have no preconceptions about people before I really get to know them (ever ask a girl out she thinks your good looking but still says no based on what little she knows of you and you can't understand why. - That is what that is).

I make a concious effort to keep an open mind and not be swayed by the human mind's natural ability to presume. But we all make and have preconceptions/prejudgements/prejudices.

They could be lovely, but based on what I've seen here I have no interest in engaging with the aformentioned on a social level. I'm sure others have said and will say the same about me.

I'm just being honest.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    I have said that meeting people from the forum is a bit of a memory test.
    You have to remember their face, real name, screen name (and possibly avatar) and roughly what they have posted. Meeting Jeremy Rundle would be easier than most though.

I guess his real name is the same as his screen name, he has no avatar, we all know what he has posted and he would be easy to recognise as he has two £9 cameras permanently affixed to his head.

• Kieran_Burns
    Don - I don't wish to sound rude or anything, but everyone else is having a bit of fun, and you seem to be in the middle of a narcissistic navel gazing session

Just chill.

What would happen is what's happened every time I attended a club meet back in my Calibra owning days....

People turn up, people say "Good God, you look NOTHING like how I imagined!", people are a little shy and finally people chat and swap war stories.

Oh yeah, and us Northern lot laugh at you shandy drinking southern poofs.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • DonDaddyD
    Sorry, this thread did just come off the back end of another thread I was quite vocal in, so I felt to a need to indulge.

You're right though...

Also the odd single female might attend and every single male cyclist will present the plume in hope of selection...
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    Rolf F wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Hadrian's Wall and the less well known Antonine Wall. Honestly, don't they teach anything in schools these days?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Hadrian's Wall and the less well known Antonine Wall. Honestly, don't they teach anything in schools these days?

Clearly not humour at your school.

:wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rjsterry
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    You have to remember their face, real name, screen name (and possibly avatar) and roughly what they have posted. Meeting Jeremy Rundle would be easier than most though.

I guess his real name is the same as his screen name, he has no avatar, we all know what he has posted and he would be easy to recognise as he has two £9 cameras permanently affixed to his head.

It is weird. EKE is thinner than I expected for example. How the hell have I formed an preconception on that based on his posts??

Everyone assumes I'm called Terry.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• EKE_38BPM
    rjsterry wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

It is weird. EKE is thinner than I expected for example
    . How the hell have I formed an preconception on that based on his posts??

Probably because of my signature. Actually I'm feeling a bit peckish right now...

• rjsterry
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

It is weird. EKE is thinner than I expected for example
    . How the hell have I formed an preconception on that based on his posts??

Probably because of my signature. Actually I'm feeling a bit peckish right now...

Nope, that's not it (hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it). I think your mind is compelled to build some sort of image and if there's nothing to go on, it just makes stuff up. After a while, the made up stuff is taken as fact.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

It is weird. EKE is thinner than I expected for example. How the hell have I formed an preconception on that based on his posts??

Apparently everyone thinks I'm older than I am. :?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    edited June 2011
    rjsterry wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Apparently everyone thinks I'm older than I am. :?

It's the grey hair and paunch...

Actually, I reckon it's the avatar pic. Looks like it was taken with a Hipstamatic lens
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry wrote:

I met a few guys from the pro-race section.

They all assumed I was called Rick...
  • EKE_38BPM
    I met a few guys from the pro-race section.

They all assumed I was called Rick...

As did I.