Yet i do not have a turbo trainer,

Will they work with road riding?
MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er

Comments

• doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Of course they will. Training is training. I find DVDs tend to have a lot of changes in tempo throughout so remembering the workout may be quite a challenge though. Training on the road requires you to keep your wits about so be careful if doing short, hard intervals as the effort can cause you to be less predictable in the line you take and that could increase your risk of getting hit (though no need to over estimate the risk but just be aware of it).
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    if you have a regular route then it would be worth looking at what the training session does - eg tempo changes, hard intervals etc and fit those sort of things into different parts of your route. You may wish to add in axtra bits to the route to mix it up a little. I do this as then I don't get bored riding the same or similar roads as I have limited time to get out.
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    if there are audio cues then you could find a way of extracting the audio from the dvd and putting it on an mp3 player...
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    I can easily upload the videos onto my ipod, no worries.

I will definately have a go on my next ride out, i have a cadence sensor and heart rate monitor so im all ready to give it a go.

The bloody weather is the problem, its all over the place, sems to wait for me to have rest days and then p isses down.

Question about wheels for turbo triainers?

If you use a seperate wheel for it, which wheel do you buy and is there a brand of tyre?
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    You can get Tacx and Continental tyres that are specially made for turbo training. They're much harder and durable than a normal tyre.

I'd buy the cheapest wheel possible, as long as you also buy a suitable cassette (my turbo wheel actually has a 7 speed cassette, whereas the proper wheel is 9 speed, but it works no problem)
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    If you are like me a don't wait until your tyres are totally trashed with huge gaping holes before you change then I would make use of those old tyres however if your tyres aren't reusuable for this purpose then a turbo tyre will end up much better value than a normal tyre bought for the purpose.