Inner tube repair - bin or keep?

2»

Comments

• h34e0f
    h34e0f Posts: 370
    I have a friend who cuts them into fat elastic bands and uses them to hold tools together
  • I buy tubes in boxes of 10 to save a few bob i normally wait til ive a pile of punctured tubes then sit there when the weather real bad fixing them
  • NatoED wrote:
    thought could you cut them up into patches?

I spent 5 hours in a lay-by in Arran cutting up a knackered inner tube trying make patches for another knackered inner tube. Finally got it to work well enough that I could ride the dozen or so miles back to the campsite Didn't stay stuck over night though.

Admittedly, that was on the road bike so the pressures involved may not have helped, but I would never want to rely on only having cut-up-inner-tube patches to get me out of a jam...

Anyway, to answer the original question, I usually just swap my punctured tubes, take them home with me, and then they lie around until I need a spare or can find another use for them.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    A fixed puncture is a fixed puncture, regardless of the pressure.
  • A fixed puncture is a fixed puncture, regardless of the pressure.

Undeniably, McGee, it was not fixed, and the home-made patches weren't sticking. However, every time I tried to inflate the tube I wouldn't hear the disheartening hissing of a deflating tyre until I'd put a lot more pressure in than I would if I were riding my MTB. I suspect the homebrew patches would have lasted longer, and could have got me at least some way out of the lay-by, had I not not needed to inflate the tyres to at least 80psi.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Where you gluing them properly. Coat both sides and let dry totally then stick together. 'Real' patches come pre glued so you only need to put glue on the tube.
    Most people don't let the glue dry first, so they don't stick properly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yeah, I was definitely letting the glue dry for long enough, but I didn't know that both sides had to be glued. If I'm ever in that situation again I'll bear that in mind. But hopefullyI'll never be in that situation again.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I used to swap and fix at home then use as a spare, but I got bored of that so put some stan's no tubes in my inner tubes (just for the irony) and haven't had a puncture since :wink: I haven't notice any effect from the extra weight, but using wire bead tyres probably has more effect on weight.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Cut the valve off and use it to go tubeless, as described in my thread.
  • Don't you guys find that a repaired tube tends to perish? A brand new one is happy to be rolled up for years, but one that's been used tends to crack when folded up. Maybe I just use crap tubes or the gasses from my farts destroys them, but I've been caught out a couple of times now where my repaired spare tube is starting to split at the edges
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Don't you guys find that a repaired tube tends to perish?
    Nope, never. The tube that's my spare right now has been fixed several times and is quite probab ly older than some forum members.