Inner tube repair - bin or keep?

h34e0f
h34e0f Posts: 370
edited June 2011 in MTB general
So I had a puncture this morning and it got me thinking; when most people have to do a repair, do you keep it just to get home, then bin the tube, or do you keep it with the patch on 'til it goes?

Just intrigued me 8)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Patch them and use as next spare. A patch is just as good and much less of a waste.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    +1 Patch...

When a inner tube has been patched enough times (5-10 depending on frequency of punctures), then I toss it. A well patched tube is just as good as a new one, sometimes its better, if the patch lines up with the original puncture through the tyre its a bit thinker in that area
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    As above patches FTW. Have some Lezyne glueless patches which make the job easy as
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    +1 Always re-use your tubes.
    Many happy trails!
  • h34e0f
    See I was expecting an entirely different reaction. I thought I was unusual for riding around with a tire made of patches
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I, like a lot of people, carry spare tubes so don't even fix them until I get home. Then they become spare tubes to carry in the future.

Fixing them out on the trail is a PITA, especially for your riding buddies... :wink:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • h34e0f
    PaulBox wrote:
    I, like a lot of people, carry spare tubes so don't even fix them until I get home. Then they become spare tubes to carry in the future.

Fixing them out on the trail is a PITA, especially for your riding buddies... :wink:

Agreed, that's what I do
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    PaulBox wrote:

Yup, especially if using the vulcanised rubber glue.

I got fed up of patching both tubes every ride (damn thorns :evil: ) so put some slime in them.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    edited June 2011
    h34e0f wrote:
    See I was expecting an entirely different reaction. I thought I was unusual for riding around with a tire made of patches

The only thing that can be made of patches ore those quilts that bored grannies sew together

Back OT

I always replace the tube if I get a flat on the trail, then like most others, patch it from the comfort of home
    There's nothing wrong with patched tubes, as long as the repair is good and it's always easier to do a good job of patching a tube once you've finished your ride
  • cooldad
    Agreed but I carry a repair kit for the bad bad day. Hasn't happened yet but...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • h34e0f
    cooldad wrote:

Would the bad bad day be when you replace your tube, only to find a few hours later the new tube punctured too? That's what happened to me today... :roll:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Spare then repair. And every so often, pick some up from the side of the trail that idiots have left behind and fix them too ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    h34e0f wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Would the bad bad day be when you replace your tube, only to find a few hours later the new tube punctured too? That's what happened to me today... :roll:

The bad bad day would be when both spares you carry get punctured, and so do the 2 spares your riding buddy has :P Never had that happen fortunately.
  • paulbox
    cooldad wrote:
    Me too, have been known to repair punctured in pub gardens, that's known as a bad good day...
  • h34e0f
    PaulBox wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Me too, have been known to repair punctured in pub gardens, that's known as a bad good day...

Or a good bad day...
  • paulbox
    h34e0f wrote:
    PaulBox wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Or a good bad day...
    No, I've had the puncture, now I'm in the pub. Defo bad good...
  • h34e0f
    PaulBox wrote:
    h34e0f wrote:
    PaulBox wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Or a good bad day...
    No, I've had the puncture, now I'm in the pub. Defo bad good...

Ah I see. I took it to mean it was a good, bad day. My bad
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Replace with spare.

Then patch at home in the evening.
    Never bin (unless it cannot be patched, but this is extremely rare).
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    I tend to throw them, the only reason being that I used to ride bmx and remember fitting a new tyre to a bmx with a patch on it, was pumping it up hard (near 100psi) when it went bang, took it apart and it had blown straight through the patch leaving the outside of the patch perfectly intact !

Probably would be alright on a MTB but it's become my default after that incident so unless I run out of spares on a trail I don't repair
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Patch on the trail, its a 2 minute job otherwise the temptation is just to fit the new tube without checking the tyre. If you take time to find the hole, you can check the tyre properly to make sure the thorn/flint is not still stuck in the tyre. The patched tube will be dry enough to pack away by the time you get your wheel back on. At least then you have not used up your spare.

I tend to patch them up to about 3-5 times, providing they are not all in a cluster.
  • Stan..
    Stan.. Posts: 9
    diy wrote:
    Patch on the trail, its a 2 minute job otherwise the temptation is just to fit the new tube without checking the tyre. If you take time to find the hole, you can check the tyre properly to make sure the thorn/flint is not still stuck in the tyre..

I made this Muppet mistake on my first flat. I always check now and intend to patch the tube a good number of times before getting rid of it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If it's a single puncture, I repair it on the trail, it take s so little time anyway. If it's a snakebit, it depends what the weather's like. Whatever happens, if I DO stick a spare tube in, the punctured one gets repaired at home, and becomes one of my spares again.

I just don't understand why anyone would throw a tube away - fixing punctures isn't rocket science.
  • cooldad
    What pisses me off is idiots who leave them hanging from trees.
    Almost as much as dog walkers who leave bags of shit hanging.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    If they are really bad ziptie them around your chain stays .

thought could you cut them up into patches?
  • Anonymous
    NatoED wrote:
    If they are really bad ziptie them around your chain stays .

thought could you cut them up into patches?
    I don't have chainstays :(:lol:

I don't think you can cut it up and use them as patches, with the "glue" you get in a repair kit. The patches have a coating of some stuff (let me know if the technical terms are too much :lol: ) that makes it all do worky.
    To use the bare butul innertube, you'd need some different adhesive.
  • cooldad
    It does work, you just coat the tube and patch with glue and let it dry, but they are too thick to make good patches.
    I used to do it as a (poor) kid.
    Might try it again as a poor adult.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps the coating on the patches is glue. Rubber solution is a contact adhesive and needs to be applied to boyt sides. The patches have it pre applied.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    cooldad wrote:
    ps the coating on the patches is glue. Rubber solution is a contact adhesive and needs to be applied to boyt sides. The patches have it pre applied.
    Oh, is that all it is? I see! :oops: :lol:

My father used to have this pot of adhesive he used to fix tubes with when I was a child, the fumes from it were mental, they could get Howard Marks dizzy.
    That stuff would attatch anything to the tube, including fingers!
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    hmm thats at an advantage of using super light tubes then . I can cut them up and make them patches :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Oh, is that all it is? I see! :oops: :lol:

My father used to have this pot of adhesive he used to fix tubes with when I was a child, the fumes from it were mental, they could get Howard Marks dizzy.
    That stuff would attatch anything to the tube, including fingers!

I've just tried a good sniff of mine - rubbish no high at all, they certainly don't make it like they used to.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools