Hill climbing strength and power

torico
torico Posts: 67
Just entered a hill climb event up the hovis hill in Shaftesbury, the course was 37seconds and pretty steep. It has me confused on what is going on in your body to get up a hill quickly. Can someone explain to me how your body works if this is an anaerobic exercise and what is requied to be fast. Common wisdom from non cyclists would say you need great strength in your legs to even get up that hill. However I realise and understand that strength and big legs are a very small factor and the Amount of forces going through your llegs is minimal. I also understand some basic princals of training and power to weight ratios. Howeverona 40 second uphill sprint like this . Who would be quicker Chris hoy... Or a bmx rider with great standing start a ability( Liam philips or Jamie staff being great examples) or canceller wih his big engine and less weight. I guess this is a power to weight question or is it more co plicated that that as you still have to feed those muscles?
Sorry if this is a rambling post but am trying to understand what type of cyclist would be quickest in this competition and what is happening physiologically in this big effort

Comments

• torico
    Excuse the typos I'm typing on my phone!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    The cyclist with the highest power/weight ratio over 40 seconds would win.
    More problems but still living....
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    And on that hill, it it rains, the person with the best technique for keeping the back wheel from spinning!
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    guess someone with pretty explosive power. Probably suit a lighter sprinter type rider.
  • torico
    yes I believe power to weight ratio would be important and power means the ability ot convert oxygen quickly but if its anaerobic or for a very short time- is this still important?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Someone like Phillipe Gilbert or Joaquim Rodriguez.........fairly light but with explosive power.

Check Gilbert's 2010 Liege-Bastogne-Liege (@ 3mins on the link):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8GI3yUPOdM

On an effort as short as 30 seconds, most of the energy will be from anaerobic sources.......and the more fast-twitch muscle fibres you have the better (ie do you have a decent sprint?).
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    torico wrote:
    Who would be quicker Chris hoy... Or a bmx rider with great standing start a ability( Liam philips or Jamie staff being great examples) or canceller wih his big engine and less weight
    I remember a guy called James Dobbin winning quite a few national hill climbs a few years back and he had the build of a climber , he certainly had a lot lighter build than Cancellara,the longer and steeper the hill climb course is, then the less chance of the heavier built riders winning i reckon, and Dobbin also finished joint 1st place in the Fred Whitton Challenge a few years back, plenty of big hills on that.