Are road riders snooty ?

2»

Comments

• shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    yenrod wrote:
    In other words are MTBer's more friendly ???

Infinitely
  • amun1000
    amun1000 Posts: 242
    amun1000 wrote:
    I had a rant about this recently (cyclists in club jerseys(red, yellow, black)). They completely ignored me despite riding with them for a few miles.
    Since then i've seen another one from the same club and yep the same response - nil/zilch etc etc. This 'select' bunch of arses need to wake up and smell the coffee/protein drink etc

I can guess the club you're talking about and they've always been a good bunch of lads.

Flipped me into the hedge bottom a few times but we always joked about it afterwards

I've yet to get word out of them - even a glance come to think of it
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    philthy3 wrote:
    I'm convinced it's just the world we live in these days where everyone is out for themselves and sod anyone else.

Welcome to life in the post-Thatcher world.

It was refreshing today to be out and only find one miserable eejit that didn't want to mutually acknowledge. I crossed paths with young girls on city bikes, someone similar age to me on a nice Cervello and a woman out shopping to name a few, but the only one to ignore me was a bloke on a mountain bike who was happily bimbling along until I came around the blind bend ahead of him from the opposite direction whereupon he began pedalling furiously to try and prove he was a fit macho man rather than a beer gutted builder on a day off.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    You know. Just this morning I was thinking how weird it is that I don't feel like acknowledging anyone when I am on my road bike, yet when I climb onto my mountain bike I feel like greeting the world.

When I pull on my club jersey that just seals my foul mood and I go out of my way to push people off who are not wearing the same jersey.

If I am on my fixed wheel and communting I want to RLJ and I feel all anti-social and want to steal cars when I pull on a hoodie, I also feel it is my god given right to abuse skiers when I am on my snowboard.

You reallty don't want to see me when I drive a white van!
  • pmcoops
    pmcoops Posts: 20
    i find flipping the bird and a nice cheery F##k off always gets a response regardless of what type of bike they are riding. :lol::lol:
    KEEP THE PEDALS TURNING
    specialized allez sport comp 2011
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I will not lower my status and provide an answer, pah... 8)
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    As someone who does a pretty even mix of MTB and road bike riding (with some touring and hybrid commuting thrown in as well) I'd tend to agree that the only types of rider that rarely acknowledge anyone is the lone road rider in full team kit and commuters.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I hate stereotyping. Anyone who stereotypes is plain lazy.

Nope, it's a necessity and we all do it even though we are often not aware of it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    niblue wrote:
    As someone who does a pretty even mix of MTB and road bike riding (with some touring and hybrid commuting thrown in as well) I'd tend to agree that the only types of rider that rarely acknowledge anyone is the lone road rider in full team kit and commuters.

I usually ride alone and in team kit and acknowledge everyone although it used to be much easier when cycling wasn't so popular! I used to see maybe one or two other cyclists on a 50 mile ride, now I see a dozen or more most rides.

On one of my rare MTB rides recently I found a mix - a few people chatted to me for a while and others ignored me completely.

I find it strange that people think that taking part in a particular past time changes their character. Far more likely is that people who enjoy a bit of solitude will go out and ride alone and that they are also less likely to acknowledge others surely?
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Well the Roadies around Henley are by far the most ignorant group of riders i have ever come across....

Never a wave or a nod.......

Its even got to the point now that im becoming the same and only wave or nod when i get the invite first...... :cry:
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    Despite doing it myself I do find the whole nodding and waving at someone just because you are both on a bike a bit strange. I used to have a Mini (new type) and others would flash just because we drove the same car. Changed to an Alfa recently and thought I'd got away from that but the same thing happened the second day I drove it. Didn't mind as it was a very good looking woman. Hasn't happened since, snooty bloody Alfa drivers :lol:
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I like how the OP has a poll of only 2 x bike types, no innate snobbery or snootiness there at all. :wink:

Pross wrote:
    Despite doing it myself I do find the whole nodding and waving at someone just because you are both on a bike a bit strange. I used to have a Mini (new type) and others would flash just because we drove the same car. Changed to an Alfa recently and thought I'd got away from that but the same thing happened the second day I drove it. Didn't mind as it was a very good looking woman. Hasn't happened since, snooty bloody Alfa drivers :lol:

I was gonna say this very thing, I do the INR and smile at pretty much anyone but only on a bike.
    I've never waved at other drivers, same car or not and I'd be carted off in a straightjacket if I nodded and waved at every other pedestrian when I'm on foot.

its an odd habit, but I generally find the more 'serious' the rider thinks they are (team kit roadie, better make or bigger forks MTB) the less likely they are to acknowledge your existence, hybrids tend to do the nod thing & I get more friendliness (and mockery) from everyone when I'm on on my folder.

I'm a snob too tho, Joe Bloggs kid on his BMX doesn't even register with me no matter whether I'm riding foldy,hybriddy or CX'y