Are road riders snooty ?

yenrod
yenrod Posts: 135
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
In other words are MTBer's more friendly ???
[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    no
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    depends apon where and what sorta rider really. some road guys are absolute assh*ls but then so are some mountain bikers i know of. the thing the two have in common are that they think their amazing, generally not except afew, have all the gear and no clue and arnt actually that fast in practice. then again riders of both MTB and road who are just chilling and happy to be there are dead happy to have people to chat to and just to sorta hang out.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I've been out on my mtb & snubbed by some roadies.
    I've been out on my road bike & snubbed by some mtb'ers.

None are better than the others.

Or maybe it's just me :oops: :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    No, some people are friendly some are not, I don't think what you ride makes a difference from what I have seen. I get blanked by more MTB riders than road riders, probably are surprised I wave at them :lol:
  • u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    yeh true there SBezza, i find that mtbrs that seem to mainly ride trail centers where they wont pass anybody tend not to say hi or wave inless you say it first then they feel they have to haha. but i make the effort to say hi and give the nod or wave to passers by.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,155
    mtb riders are just envious

they ride those ugly heavy lumps

whereas road bikes are all of the lovely

it burns at their souls and makes them so sad and bitter

i always give a cheery 'hello' as i pass them going uphill, i feel it's the least i can do

nah, seriously, i do acknowledge people on mtb, some reciprocate, some ignore me, some seem shocked

life's too short for archaic tribal hatred
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    again ????
    :roll:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I can't get over this road riders/MTBers/ fixies riders, quite frankly ('scuse my language) it's all bollocks. I ride a road bike predominantly but I also ride a cross bike, MTB. I RIDE BIKES! I am what I am. The type of bike I ride has no bearing on my personality.

So are road riders snooty, no, people are snooty,angry, boring, ignorant, humourous, stupid etc,etc it's nowt to do with the bike it's the rider.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • yenrod
    yenrod Posts: 135
    For me personally they are Why because they're the ones who have, in all my yrs of riding (23), dont let on as much as the friendlyness of MTBing ive experienced...

I started on an ATB, to a MTB and now as much as I mainly ride the roadbike, for fitness mainly IF I could and lived in terrain that allowed me too - then id ride an MTB.

Its not an issue just a passing observation, for me its about the fitness, the fight & the FUN!
    [;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I can't get over this road riders/MTBers/ fixies riders, quite frankly ('scuse my language) it's all bollocks. I ride a road bike predominantly but I also ride a cross bike, MTB. I RIDE BIKES! I am what I am. The type of bike I ride has no bearing on my personality.

So are road riders snooty, no, people are snooty,angry, boring, ignorant, humourous, stupid etc,etc it's nowt to do with the bike it's the rider.

+1
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    One hopes so.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    +1 Frank the T

People are people, end of. Who goes out with a specific "attitidue"? I try to acknowneldge anyone on a bike from little old lady to serious roadie (you know, the the one on the Cervelo you noticed 200m away and thought "Nice bike mate" and nod and they blank you :lol: ).

I might be riding the Spesh Hard*ock today, the Bianchi tomorrow, sometimes both in one day.

Anyone would think we are the problem... :roll:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    Another + to Frank.
    It is people that are snooty and it is not down to what they are riding with the posible exception of drivers of BMW 4x4s. The ones that surprise me are the ones that have obviuosly seen you but are determined to acknowledge you they stand out a mile from those that did not see you as they were concentrating on something else be it their training or the bike they are following.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I hate stereotyping. Anyone who stereotypes is plain lazy ( oops, think that may a stereotype in itself!). Fact is, there are good and bad in every kind. That's what I was told by my parents as a child. And it's still some of the best advice I've ever had. I will nod, wave and acknowledge all other cyclists, some respond some don't. Who cares? Today I had a lovely moment on my 80 mile ride to Folkestone. I was struggling a bit, sh*t weather and wondering if I should have stayed at home. A cyclist came towards me, he must have been 70-80 years of age, bent over double he was, but he gave me the biggest smile and hello of the whole day. It gave me such a lift seeing this old boy still enjoying his cycling that I felt stronger for the rest of the ride. So if you are that gentleman cycling through Wrotham today, respect to you and thanks for the boost.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Judging by the amount of times this comes up it seems some MTBers believe roadies do look down on them - I don't think it's true and most road riders I know do a bit of MTBing themselves.

I suppose not many have any interest in downhill, trials and that end of it but then I know xc MTBers who don't either.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483

+1

It's the law of averages: Look at any demographic closely and you're sure to find ypur average tw@t.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Roadies aren't snooty. MTBs are just a lower class of rid....oh...wait...erm...
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Roadies aren't snooty. MTBs are just a lower class of rid....oh...wait...erm...
    :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I am what I am...

...and what you are needs no excuses. Good on ya Frank. You're a brave man.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    It's only snotty southermers, we who live in the Land of the Gods (ie Nottingamshire) acknowledge all & sundry, even peasants out for a Sunday trundle.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    Here we go again :roll:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    It never ceases to amaze me how unfriendly some riders are. I can understand someone that's on it not having the time to give a nod/wave or say hi as they zoom by, but when they're cleary not that stressed and just choose to be ignorant, WTF? I'm not the fittest rider out there by a long margin but I'm cycling. I used to think it was brand snobbery but I can get exchanges with most riders on top notch machinery and ignored by the lower end of the market just as I can get a nod from some club riders in their team jerseys. I'm convinced it's just the world we live in these days where everyone is out for themselves and sod anyone else.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    philthy3 wrote:
    I'm convinced it's just the world we live in these days where everyone is out for themselves and sod anyone else.

Welcome to life in the post-Thatcher world.
  • amun1000
    amun1000 Posts: 242
    I had a rant about this recently (cyclists in club jerseys(red, yellow, black)). They completely ignored me despite riding with them for a few miles.
    Since then i've seen another one from the same club and yep the same response - nil/zilch etc etc. This 'select' bunch of arses need to wake up and smell the coffee/protein drink etc
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
  • solosuperia
    solosuperia Posts: 333
    I am getting a bit long in the tooth so I ride a hybrid these days.
    Thought that being ignored by all and sundry was just because of that.
    Or maybe because my bike didn't cost an absolute fortune.
    I get a bit miffed when I raise my hand to say hello and I am completely ignored but soon get over it.
    What really makes me smile is: I am poodling along at my cruising speed and some Herbert on a trick piece of machinery comes hurling past like a bat out of hell and dies 100 yards up the road and rides at the same speed as me.
    What is that all about?????
    I console myself by thinking I would have had you for breakfast a few years ago....
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Yes. Every person who rides a road bike is snooty.

Every person who rides a MTB is cool as.

:roll:
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    I ride both Road and MTB bikes, sometimes on my own and sometimes with others but no matter what the mix is I find that almost everyone signals aknowledgement ( sometimes it is almost un-noticable)
    Whether it is a club/pack zooming past or loner going for a casual steady ride. The only type that seem to be aloof are the lone riders in the full replica kit and to be fair to them, I don't think it's snootyness but more of a case that they are unaware of anything but the tarmac in front of their wheel, either that or they think that unless you are kitted out the same then you are some sort of charlatan who does not deserve to be upon two wheels.
    Personally I think the more people ride then the better the road conditions will become .

Having said that I don't wave at every car driver I pass
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    You're all barking up the wrong tree. It's the surface that you're riding on that causes this phenomenon.

Whenever I take to the tarmac, either exclusively, or between off-road trails, I begin snooting involuntarily.

It can't be helped.
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Our gang issue points for greetings that are ignored :D :shock:
  • amun1000 wrote:
    I had a rant about this recently (cyclists in club jerseys(red, yellow, black)). They completely ignored me despite riding with them for a few miles.
    Since then i've seen another one from the same club and yep the same response - nil/zilch etc etc. This 'select' bunch of arses need to wake up and smell the coffee/protein drink etc

I can guess the club you're talking about and they've always been a good bunch of lads.

Flipped me into the hedge bottom a few times but we always joked about it afterwards