F1 - Montreal

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Did you see that Marshal fall on the foor, I thought he had it.

Hope Schmacher gets a podium just for nostalgia...

Button is racing superb, Hamilton could learn a little about keeping your head.... Button seemingly has learned a little about aggression from Hamilton... I think.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Did you see that Marshal fall on the foor, I thought he had it.

Hope Schmacher gets a podium just for nostalgia...

Button is racing superb, Hamilton could learn a little about keeping your head.... Button seemingly has learned a little about aggression from Hamilton... I think.

You a fan of the German NA then ...?

tsk! youth of today!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Is Button going to snatch the win, from stone last at halfway?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    YES!!!!!!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    What a finish!
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I am so glad that Button won. Driver of the day, no doubt.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Awesome race. Well done Jenson!
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Great race.

Not really
    I take that back.

• DonDaddyD
    Brilliant just brilliant.

Secondary though: I don't like DRS, seems to me that there is no way of defending your position once DRS is active. So while it's an overtake it's not really competitive because the overtake is going to happen.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    First one of the closest finishes ever at Le Mans, then a last lap pass for the lead in the Grand Prix.

I'm spent.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • EKE_38BPM
    edited June 2011
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Secondary though: I don't like DRS, seems to me that there is no way of defending your position once DRS is active. So while it's an overtake it's not really competitive because the overtake is going to happen.
    I know what you mean, but it depends where they put the activation line. When they get it wrong, the overtake is a gimme, when they get it right, it just makes it possible, but not too easy.

• dhope
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Current activation points seem a bit hit and miss. Today you had a relatively easy pass with the first opening, then the second just made certain there was no attempt at the repass.

After today's finish such a shame Monaco had that final safety car or we'd have had a similarly barnstorming end to there too.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I dunno, certainly get more overtaking with DRS,and presumably the overtaken car can use DRS to fight bak in the next lap if they can get close enough.

I want DRS on my bike.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    But you have to make it stick - if you can't pull more than a one second lead over the next lap, you get taken back. It is pretty good therefore at clearing out genuinely slower cars who are holding position by timing their one move on the straight to block the passer.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    What a fantastic race! Well worth the 5 1/2 hours of my Sunday its taken up.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Finishes like that are the reason I love sport, any sport.

You can't script things like that, everyone would say its too far fetched. A bit like Liverpool coming back from 3-0 at half time to win the Champions League final.

• Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    Same here, Top 3 are the Liverpool Milan, Man U turning over Bayern, but number 1 was Hamilton clinching the championship in Brazil after throwing it away and doing Glock on virtually the last bend of the race. Good old god sending down a few spots of rain. You just can't script a better drama.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • EKE_38BPM
    Yeah, watching Massa's dad celebrating and then his face dropping when Lewis crossed the line to take the title was priceless
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv1onM8gfXU#t=0m50s

• nich
    nich Posts: 888
    MAGIC BUTTON :)
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Hamilton has lost it for me. He's a liability and McClaren could do better and should bin him off. He has a self belief that isn't warranted.

Button showed him the way yesterday. A majestic drive.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I don't get it.
    Nothing seemed to happen all day until the last lap, which was a mistake, not a overtake.

I'm not saying it was ever good, but seems so contrived now. DRS, safety car every couple of laps, tyre usage etc.

Very strange. Not a sport.
    exercise.png
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    TheStone wrote:
    I don't get it.
    Nothing seemed to happen all day until the last lap, which was a mistake, not a overtake.

I'm not saying it was ever good, but seems so contrived now. DRS, safety car every couple of laps, tyre usage etc.

Then don't watch it then and let everyone else enjoy it, and it is still a sport.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Button, as ever, is best in changeable conditions. Shame for him F1 is always done in the summer eh?

Anyone else enjoy Schumacher's brief relapse into his former rainmeister self?
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Nothing happened all day because it was red-flagged due to the rain. You can't run single-seaters when there's standing water on the track.

Canada gets more of itsshare of safety cars at the best of times because it's an old-style cramped track, and tyre management has always been a part of motorsport.
  • rick_chasey
    nation wrote:
    . You can't run single-seaters when there's standing water on the track.

They used to. Spain '96 anyone?

It's worth taking a look at.

The way the cars are developing means they are not as stable in the wet as they used to be.

The authorities should look at that. Rain at races does happen, and the cars should be able to cope, else they rob the public of the spectacle.
  • DonDaddyD
    Greg66 wrote:
    But you have to make it stick - if you can't pull more than a one second lead over the next lap, you get taken back. It is pretty good therefore at clearing out genuinely slower cars who are holding position by timing their one move on the straight to block the passer.

But DRS makes it all about the car.

I would argue that the more skillful driver is able to defend his position, by blocking the driver in the faster car while going around the track - especially the bends. I mean if your only chance of actual overtaking is on a straight because you're in the faster car added by DRS then I'm not really seeing any skill. It's why - despite my criticism - Hamilton is both an exciting and arguably most skillful driver on the track, he is prepared and has the skill to overtake during the race around the corners and not only rely on DRS.
    Food Chain number = 4

• dhope
    TheStone wrote:
    I don't get it.

Nothing seemed to happen? Did you not notice Button making his way from 21st to 2nd before that mistake?
    Battles for remaining podium places between Schuey, Webber, Button and Massa?

I'm not convinced by DRS either but I do think forcing use of two compounds with different properties introduces uncertainty that requires planning and tyre management to overcome.

Safety car was sensible. These cars run millimetres from the ground. All well and good saying just MTFU and drive but when you're off the ground aquaplaning then there's little you can do to avoid ending up in a wall, so you pick the sensible option and deploy a safety car.

And not a sport? How? What *exactly* qualifies something as a sport. F1 not a sport, but touring cars are, or Moto GP? Or nothing with engines. How about Snooker, or Darts?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    edited June 2011
    TheStone wrote:
    I don't get it.

I would argue that punctures, falling off, mechanical issues and waiting until the final moments to attack in cycling leaves it boring. But it doesn't it's all build up, tactical planning and contribute/is part of the sport.

DRS not withstanding - I have issues with it. Safety car, tyre usage, rain, 'the long pause', keeping mentally sharp during the 2hr break - the uncertainty is all part of the sport.

I enjoyed it, it was something different.
    Food Chain number = 4

• EKE_38BPM
    dhope wrote:
    And not a sport? How? What *exactly* qualifies something as a sport. F1 not a sport, but touring cars are, or Moto GP? Or nothing with engines. How about Snooker, or Darts?

I don't see Golf or Darts as sports. To me, even many athletic events are border-line.
    I think that in a sport you should be able to effect and interfere with your opposition (a tackle in football, moving your opponent around the court in Tennis, an overtake in motorsport etc) to prevent them gaining an advantage or scoring points.
    In Golf, all you can do is play your own game as well as you can and hope the pressure you apply puts your opponent off their game.
    Connect 4 is more of a sport than Golf.

I fully expect to get flamed, but I don't see my mind being changed.
    I'm with Lee Evans when it comes to Golf: Golf is long distance snooker for w4nkers.

• rick_chasey
    Sport:

A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means. Generally speaking, a sport is a game based in physical athleticism. Activities such as board games and card games are sometimes classified as "mind sports," but strictly speaking "sport" by itself refers to some physical activity. Non-competitive activities may also qualify, for example though jogging or playing catch are usually classified as forms of recreation, they may also be informally called "sports" due to their similarity to competitive games.
    Sports are governed by a set of rules or customs. Physical events such as scoring goals or crossing a line first often define the result of a sport. However, the degree of skill and performance in some sports such as diving, dressage and figure skating is judged according to well-defined criteria. This is in contrast with other judged activities such as beauty pageants and body building, where skill does not have to be shown and the criteria are not as well defined.