Nutrition in while riding..

jasep
jasep Posts: 6
just wondering what you use and why?

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,858
    Welcome to BR - you've come to a good place to find out - this is a very regular question, so if you do a forum search (the button next to the 'Members List' up towards the top right) for 'nutrition' you'll get a good range of answers.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Bonjour and welcome to the forum.

I have at various times

1. Honeystinger bar.- slightly crunchy not like other bars and very tasty.

2. banana - easily disposable wrapper.

3. Zipvit ZV10 energy chews. Theyre like little jelly beans. Good for top ups.

4 And for a savoury option - Dr Lims rice cakes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UiuqIWGe_s

Loads of people on here swear by the humble fig roll too.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    I have energy bars for something chewy, or fig rolls as an alternative. If I'm doing lots of climbing, where chewing isn't easy, I use gels.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Soreen and bananas.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Paul RS
    Paul RS Posts: 107
    9 bars
  • Herbsman
    Nine bars of what?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • tom22
    tom22 Posts: 59
    Herbsman wrote:
    Nine bars of what?

http://www.9-bar.co.uk/
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    I take my pick from cereal bars, flapjacks, soreen, fruit cake, gels, bananas, raisins, wine gums and other sugary gummy sweets, mars bars, snickers, go bars, fig rolls, jam sandwiches and I'm sure I've left many out. Of course all washed down with plenty of energy drink, a simple 2:1 maltodextrin:fructose mix with electrolytes or caffeine thrown in when I feel it might be necessary.

Basically what ever has carbs and quick release at that is good for me. Obviously some choices are better than others but something is better than nothing too. I've extended rides beyond what I planned so small garage availability dictates my choices.
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    Been eating Elevenses Bars lately on rides. Find them quite good, nice and moist so easy get down the hatch. Was a fan of Sunblest loaf (raisin type bread thing) but they seem to have changed it recently and its much dryer than I remember it. Also like to nibble on Natural Food Co. Jelly's too for top ups.
  • Herbsman
    tom22 wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:
    Nine bars of what?

http://www.9-bar.co.uk/
    I know. I was joking.

I first saw them in a headshop in Birmingham (it closed down in 2006 I think). They were quite popular on cannabis forums for obvious reasons. I've never bought one because, for a so-called 'hemp bar' the hemp seed content is ridiculously low.
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    i'm a huge fan of fig rolls, bananas & flapjack type bars.

i wrote a blog post about how i eat on the bike here if interested.

• Herbsman
    Is banana soreen any good? It's really expensive compared to normal soreen...
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Herbsman wrote:

Banana Soreen? WTF??? I need this in my life.

@ Cleat Eastwood - if you like Stingers you should try the caramel waffles from Lidl. You get 10 in a pack for the price of one Stinger (smae size) and in my opionion they taste better. Plus they're more robust than Stingers which are a bit crumbly.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Herbsman wrote:

Banana Soreen? WTF??? I need this in my life

Looks like it may not be widely available yet.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-pr ... _Loaf.html

Try Tesco by the looks of it.
  • cristoff
    cristoff Posts: 229
    Herbsman wrote:

Munched my way through about a quarter of a loaf on a 75 mile sportive on Sunday. It was delicious i tell thee 8) 8)
  • airbusboy
    airbusboy Posts: 231
    Evening,

Rode a 90mile training ride, my nutrition on the bike was as follows (in order as well):

1x psp22 750ml bottle
    1x cookies and cream powerbar thing
    1x psp22 750ml bottle

1x slice of carrot cake + coffee at cafe... because i deserved it :D

1xbottle of water
    1xbottle of Powerade mixed with water (to make 750ml)

Enough? Not enough?
    'Ride hard for those who can't.....'
  • Herbsman
    airbusboy wrote:
    Evening,

Rode a 90mile training ride, my nutrition on the bike was as follows (in order as well):

1x psp22 750ml bottle
    1x cookies and cream powerbar thing
    1x psp22 750ml bottle

1x slice of carrot cake + coffee at cafe... because i deserved it :D

1xbottle of water
    1xbottle of Powerade mixed with water (to make 750ml)

Enough? Not enough?
    Too much you fat bastard.

Nah. That sounds like far less than I would eat, but slightly more than I would drink.

Did it feel like too much or not enough? The human body is pretty good at working out how much food and water it needs. Ok so sometimes we forget to drink and sometimes we get greedy and overeat. But for most people most of the time, if you felt like you ate & drank enough, then you ate & drank enough.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    doyler78 wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:

Banana Soreen? WTF??? I need this in my life

Looks like it may not be widely available yet.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-pr ... _Loaf.html

Try Tesco by the looks of it.

Yip, found it today in Tesco along with the cinamon rasin and apple and sultana ones. Soreen heaven!