Joggers...

Phillw454
Phillw454 Posts: 101
edited June 2011 in MTB general
Is it just me or are they a breed apart?

I don't mind them really, their usually polite and move when asked, but what gets me is, 99% of other bikers, dog walkers, hikers, kids whatever, that I have seen always seem to stay to the left of the trail.

Yet a good 80% of joggers I see are always on the right and stay right even if there is a few of us heading down on our left. I can understand them wanting to stand still, but makes me wonder why they are nearly always on the right side.

I just assumed it was an unwritten rule that you stay to the left. In the UK at least.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Probably drilled into them from jogging on the road - you are supposed to face oncoming traffic.
  • u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    what SS said, would also explain why you with myself included cycle on the left
  • Phillw454
    Well that would explain it. I never knew that. I was quite sure they weren't just being stubborn just after a ride today I wondered why they always seemed to be on the *Wrong* side.
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    Some of the women joggers I've seen of late it would be preferable if they ran straight at me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • supersonic
    Some of the women joggers I've seen of late it would be preferable if they ran straight at me.

I saw one jogging up Chapeltown Rd form Ecco last week, I nearly crashed looking at her backside!
  • Johnny Napalm
    I saw one jogging up Chapeltown Rd form Ecco last week, I nearly crashed looking at her backside!

:lol:

What time and what day? I'll do some loitering.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Very much this, went out for a quick run earlier, and on the way back, I saw a young girl, very slim, with enormous knockers, jogging the other way.
    Happy days.
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    Probably drilled into them from jogging on the road - you are supposed to face oncoming traffic.
    That one always bugs me. There's a reason why you face oncoming traffic... so when you see it you realise the danger and can get out of the bloody way!!

But joggers don't, they keep running towards the car, in the road (despite a possible path or edge to get onto), making it tricky to judge stopping distance when they are heading towards you and you towards them. With oncoming traffic, have to stop, they continue and try to get past, clipping the mirror as they go giving you a dirty look.

Maybe it's not the rule, but I say if you are jogging, either be prepared to get out of the way as most walkers do or run with traffic.

Joggers are much like roadies. They don't want to stop, for anything, including red lights, and that's both roadies and joggers. And don't get me started on those that continue to jog across a junction without looking despite traffic turning into it.

Rant over (hate joggers).
  • supersonic
    supersonic wrote:

About 2030 hehe. I am usually on the way to the Wharncliffe!
  • Johnny Napalm
    Very much this, went out for a quick run earlier, and on the way back, I saw a young girl, very slim, with enormous knockers, jogging the other way.

Did you suddenly remember you'd forgotten something and had to turn around and go back the way you came?
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Anonymous
    No, I was too knackered, but I did (ahem) "stop for a breather", and pretended to stretch whilst looking back to check out the buttocks (like a championship racehorse, BTW) :D
  • Johnny Napalm
    We need to start taking cameras with us!
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • bulb-boy
    bulb-boy Posts: 2
  • Phillw454
    I will allow this thread derailment to carry on. Please continue :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No, I was too knackered, but I did (ahem) "stop for a breather", and pretended to stretch whilst looking back to check out the buttocks (like a championship racehorse, BTW) :D
    I suppose racehorses are a step up from sheep anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    cooldad wrote:
    I suppose racehorses are a step up from sheep anyway.
    You might be obsessed with animals, but I was referring to a fit young girl with buttocks like a racehorse.
  • Johnny Napalm
    She had racehorse-shaped buttocks?
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Anonymous
    :roll:
    Yes, that's right
    (facepalm)
  • Johnny Napalm
    It's ok, mate, I saw a buttock-shaped racehorse the other day. :wink:
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Anonymous
  • bulb-boy
    bulb-boy Posts: 2
    Happy days.[/quote]

I've been observing this forum for a while but not joined...this comment was the tipping point...yeeehah you bad bad boy...we've all been there...thanks for pleading guilty hahaha
  • deadkenny wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    That one always bugs me. There's a reason why you face oncoming traffic... so when you see it you realise the danger and can get out of the bloody way!!

But joggers don't, they keep running towards the car, in the road (despite a possible path or edge to get onto), making it tricky to judge stopping distance when they are heading towards you and you towards them. With oncoming traffic, have to stop, they continue and try to get past, clipping the mirror as they go giving you a dirty look.

Maybe it's not the rule, but I say if you are jogging, either be prepared to get out of the way as most walkers do or run with traffic.

Joggers are much like roadies. They don't want to stop, for anything, including red lights, and that's both roadies and joggers. And don't get me started on those that continue to jog across a junction without looking despite traffic turning into it.

Rant over (hate joggers).

What do you mean by ''possible path''? There either is or isn't one?

So if we are talking about a country lane, it may not always be possible for a runner to get off the road due to what is at the side?

From other stuff you have posted, suggesting you have trouble judging speed, distance, and suffer with impatience, it sounds like you need to improve your driving skills?

An advanced driver would easily deal with life's every day obstacles, runners, road cyclists, horses etc.. :wink:
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    There isn't a law about all users of public spaces passing on the right. Half the time even other MTBers don't appear to know about it.

If you're determined to not alter your speed or course one jot in the expectation that everyone else should be where you expect them or to move to that position then you're going to get annoyed. If you don't expect this and slow down/move accordingly then everyone will get along just fine.
  • Anonymous
    NozzaC wrote:
    There isn't a law about all users of public spaces passing on the right. Half the time even other MTBers don't appear to know about it.
    Erm, since the law, or rule doesn't exist, you could say that none of the MTBers (or anyone else) knows about it. Well, they would, if it it existed, but it doesn't, so it's not even there TO NOT know about it.
  • Johnny Napalm
    Erm, since the law, or rule doesn't exist, you could say that none of the MTBers (or anyone else) knows about it. Well, they would, if it it existed, but it doesn't, so it's not even there TO NOT know about it.

Anyway, back to big knockers...
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    NozzaC wrote:

I was thinking that as I wrote it but then I thought "nobody would be pedantic enough to pick it up yet alone bother commenting on it". Shows how much I know :D
  • Anonymous
    :lol: i sees something, I takes the pi**, iz what I do :lol:
  • . . . looking back to check out the buttocks (like a championship racehorse, BTW) :D

This thread is worthless without pics!
    If in doubt - flat out!
  • Anonymous
    What do you mean by ''possible path''? There either is or isn't one?

So if we are talking about a country lane, it may not always be possible for a runner to get off the road due to what is at the side?
    Even if there isn't any path they should find a way to get out of the way. Jump into a hedge, or over a wall :twisted:

At the very least stop and tuck themselves into the edge, but they don't, they continue running.
    From other stuff you have posted, suggesting you have trouble judging speed, distance, and suffer with impatience, it sounds like you need to improve your driving skills?

An advanced driver would easily deal with life's every day obstacles, runners, road cyclists, horses etc.. :wink:
    Normally obstacles are stationary or moving the same direction as you. Things heading towards you on the same side of the road can be considered potential collision incidents. My beef is that the jogger does crap all about it, continues jogging, and expects the driver to do all the work, which often means stopping entirely and having to keep an eye on the jogger trying to pass on the left, whilst traffic is on the right, some biker trying to overtake on the right also (usually sat in the blind spot), etc. Much easier if you are just following and waiting to overtake.

Shouldn't need advanced driver training to cope with a jogger!

Still comes back to that they are on that side of the road so they can see the danger and do something about it themselves. There's no other reason for them to go against traffic.

I'd also add that a jogger with big knockers coming towards you is a double distraction! :shock:
  • Anonymous
    deadkenny wrote:
    Shouldn't need advanced driver training to cope with a jogger!
    No, you shouldn't, which suggests that maybe you're not safe to be on the roads in the first place.

From the jogger's perspective...
    My beef is that the driver does crap all about it, continues driving, and expects the jogger to do all the work, which often means stopping entirely and having to keep an eye on the car trying to pass on the left. Why should I have to stop, then get back up to speed, when the driver has to put in zero effort to do the same

Frankly, this is another case of DeadKenny being an obnoxious human being.