Contador Confirms he will be riding the tour

Comments

• yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    So wish this was not true. :shock:

They might as well not have a podium presentation in Paris, they should wait until CAS make their mind up.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    He might as well ride, the CAS will find for him.
    The more victories the guy gets, the less chance there'll be of any official body being inclined to piss of sponsors, fans & Spaniards by finding against him, leading to the loss of all those victories.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Good news. I'm hoping he's going to be at less than 100% after the Giro, which may, just may, make the Tour interesting.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    He might ride it in Spanish RR and TT champ kit too, both of which he is hopefully racing. That would be sooooooo cool.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Good news. I'm hoping he's going to be at less than 100% after the Giro, which may, just may, make the Tour interesting.

Andy Schleck losing by 39 seconds wasn't interesting? I don't think Contador will be as strong and Schleck will be stronger. I think this year could be very interesting... and that's before you throw in all the others!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    P_Tucker wrote:

I doubt it.
    Andy had another "mechanical" today, during the Swiss prologue.
    Clearly, he is just training for Le Grand Bungle.

Maybe, the in form Wiggins can enliven the event.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    P_Tucker wrote:

I doubt it.

Hope not. ITV show too much of him when he's doing crap, let alone doing well...
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Theres bound to be lots of opinions on this, but i think its a good thing! What could add more excitement to the tour than the Shleck / Contador battle? As for Wiggo, could be a podium finish, alhough he didn't look that great on the final climb in the dauphine today, so weather he can hang in there with shleck and contador in the tour mountains is a wait and see. Love or Hate contador, it could be a dull tour without him, although some could argue the Giro was a dull tour with him...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I doubt it.

:lol::lol: @ Le Grand Bungle
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    P_Tucker wrote:

I doubt it.

I thought that was interesting, because Cancellara's chain jumped as well right about the same place and he had to stop and start pedalling again.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Wiggins has looked like the 09 Tour again. I wonder about his motivation. In the Tour in 09 things fell his way and he really dug in and gave it his all. The DL had the long time trial and things again went for him and once again he's ploughing up that final climb yesterday really fired up. It seems when he feels in a worthwhile position he'll go all out to defend it, but when it's not happening for him he drops into the bunch and cruises along with no intent.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    He might as well ride, the CAS will find for him.
    The more victories the guy gets, the less chance there'll be of any official body being inclined to wee-wee of sponsors, fans & Spaniards by finding against him, leading to the loss of all those victories.

+1

It crossed my mind that ACs strategy may be to force a decision against him into an extremely embarassing place.
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    P_Tucker wrote:

Yes im hoping that too. hopefully a bad day as well to make it interesting
  • BarryBonds
    P_Tucker wrote:

Andy Schleck losing by 39 seconds wasn't interesting? I don't think Contador will be as strong and Schleck will be stronger. I think this year could be very interesting... and that's before you throw in all the others!

would have been dull had cancellara not stopped the race so schleck could get back in contention. those freiburg training plans probably helped as well
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    P_Tucker wrote:

I doubt it.

Hope not. ITV show too much of him when he's doing crap, let alone doing well...

They don't choose what the camera shows so I take it you mean they talk about him too much.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • frenchfighter
    Getty
    bae8ab3e837363bbefe9c90df297828c-getty-cycling-tour_de_france-cantador.jpg
    08d30b5256e9394546ea8daa4f8918d3-getty-cycling-tour_de_france-cantador.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Giro-Tour Double?

That'd be something.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    I'm actually finding myself hoping CAS find in his favour now just to avoid the sport getting dragged even further into the depths by having the Giro and Tour winner subsequently banned. Is that part of his strategy? Why did the CAS date get moved back as surely it would have been best for everyone to get this resolved ahead of the Tour?
  • Short term it should make for a cracking race,long term it could very well be a disaster,,its all one big mess
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    In any other profession he would be put on gardening leave if there were accusations of malpractice. As Wiggins said, he failed four dope tests that should surely have triggered a suspension. If CAS find him guilty, are they able to look at the delaying tactics of the Spanish authorities and sanction them as well. In the past the Tour de France have gone out on a limb and refused entry to cyclists about whom there were concerns. Surely this is one instance when they should have done this again.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    we've had tour winners that have been stripped of the win prevously.... but the races keep running and the prize money is dished out and sponsorship contracted by the time the jerseys are removed.

question is, can the process be massively quicker? Can the ASO withhold the prize money until CAS ruling comes through (this isn't the biggest moneyspinner off the back of a win, it goes to the domestiques) ? can the shoe / bike / sports drinks sponsor deals be put on ice ?

the CAS date was moved back because the spanish federation asked for it, CAS should have said no but because they are an arbitration service they have cut them some slack
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    edhornby wrote:
    can the shoe / bike / sports drinks sponsor deals be put on ice ?

the CAS date was moved back because the spanish federation asked for it, CAS should have said no but because they are an arbitration service they have cut them some slack

The Spanish federation didn't ask for the date to be changed, Contadors lawyers did. Ultimately, Contador is in the clear, and the UCI / WADA are appealing. I'd assume Berts lawyers had a reason for the delay which was acceptable to CAS.

As for the sponsorship, that's just commercials, so if the company wants to put money into Bert, that's their problem.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    iainf72 wrote:
    edhornby wrote:

The Spanish federation didn't ask for the date to be changed, Contadors lawyers did. Ultimately, Contador is in the clear, and the UCI / WADA are appealing. I'd assume Berts lawyers had a reason for the delay which was acceptable to CAS.

As for the sponsorship, that's just commercials, so if the company wants to put money into Bert, that's their problem.
    He is only in the clear because the Spanish federation did not go by the book in making their decision. Contador had an illegal substance in his system. He was unable to prove how it got there legally even though he suggested a way that it might have done. His suspension can only be a matter of time otherwise the whole anti doping system will be thrown in to disarray.
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    iainf72 wrote:
    edhornby wrote:

I think this is what sticks in my throat about this case....
    We all have our opinions about whether he is guilty or not, but we all (well, most) want to see due process carried out, which is fine.
    Bert earns more in a year than I would in 20-30+, which is fine. The issue have, however, is that, if I faced an issue this serious with half the evidence, I would be suspended on full pay until final resolution &, if I faced a parallel case with prima facie condemnatory evidence, I would be dismissed instantly & would have to find recourse through the courts & prove my case if the accusers were wrong (so, instant dismissal, with zero pay & no chance of earning & only partial recovery if I were successful)...
    I have no problem with the terms I face, but get bloody grumpy about someone who has already earned more than I will in my entire life moaning & taking the p**s about relatively, incredibly lenient conditions.
    I know it's about who is contracted to whom for what, but FFS, can folk not man up & accept the bigger picture?
  • BarryBonds
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    edhornby wrote:

I think this is what sticks in my throat about this case....
    We all have our opinions about whether he is guilty or not, but we all (well, most) want to see due process carried out, which is fine.
    Bert earns more in a year than I would in 20-30+, which is fine. The issue have, however, is that, if I faced an issue this serious with half the evidence, I would be suspended on full pay until final resolution &, if I faced a parallel case with prima facie condemnatory evidence, I would be dismissed instantly & would have to find recourse through the courts & prove my case if the accusers were wrong (so, instant dismissal, with zero pay & no chance of earning & only partial recovery if I were successful)...
    I have no problem with the terms I face, but get bloody grumpy about someone who has already earned more than I will in my entire life moaning & taking the p**s about relatively, incredibly lenient conditions.
    I know it's about who is contracted to whom for what, but FFS, can folk not man up & accept the bigger picture?

Err he went thorugh the process and was suspended whilst he did. Now a third party doesnt like the outcome of the legitamte process. if you dont like someone at the post office should tyey be removed whilst someone investigats yor complaint?
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    Cheers for this response. I personally find it worth properly reading what I'm replying to before writing a sarcastic retort, but YMMV.
    Whilst you are taking what I said ad absurdum, yes, that's the principle I work under. If the complaint were sufficiently serious, then similar would apply...
    It would also apply until finally resolved. A friend recently experienced a 2 year suspension largely based on someone not liking her, that went through a variety of processes, including 3rd party review.
    I guess I was getting at the principle that power should come with responsibility, but it's far easier to read things ad absurdum than engage with an implied point...
  • I'd humbly suggest that suspension for that length of time would have given grounds for unfair dismissal!

And drawing a parallel with Contador, I have to agree that the problems with the case are down to the Spanish federation clearing him and the length of the process subsequently to reach a hearing.

Commercial cases are heard in court in the UK daily involving large amounts of evidence, expert witnesses and with large sums of money at stake, but following a fast track which can mean they are resolved in, say 8 to 12 weeks. Whilst you could say it's asking too much for CAS to emulate that, the process clearly isn't fit for purpose.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    P_Tucker wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not even top ten. So over-rated & over-hyped.

He'll take a beating like a ginger step-child in the mountains.
  • frenchfighter
    Getty
    d2b01ba8171b2df5cabb99e75b1c1c81-getty-cycling-fra-tdf-2011-contador.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest