Well done Cav

2»

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Pross wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    eh? Irish are never British are they? do you mean welsh and scots? or northern irish?

Northern Irish, Welsh and Scottish too- but I've heard of Irish people being referred to as "British". I once read somewhere that Roy Keane is regarded as one of the greatest British footballers ever and U2 are one of the best British bands ever :roll:

So do you not hold a British passport if you live in Northern Ireland? Ireland is actually part of the British Isles so all the people of the whole island of Ireland are theoretically British :wink:

Well no, because it's a United kKngdom passport.

The Guardian once gave away their style guide, and I'm pretty sure that: UK and GB have specific political meanings; Britain (or british) is generally accepted short hand for UK (or a resident of) ; and british isles does include all Ireland, but is a geographical, not political description.

ETA - ironically, Isle of Man is not part of UK!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Please explain why is it disrespectful to turn down an honour ? after all there have been many famous people before him who have done it and it didnt do them any harm.

I don't think it is, but I do think the general public would consider it so.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    I believe the form is that if you get offered an honour and turn it down you don't tell people that it was offered. Someone a few years back got slated not for actually turning it down but for telling people they had been offered one and turned it down. Unless you are a committed republicanist it would be pretty churlish to turn down something that is basically a recognition of your achievement in sport / the arts or whatever though.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Congratulations to Mark-I'm thrilled for him, and for cycling.

I would hope that he would be knighted before his career ends.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    PBo wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    eh? Irish are never British are they? do you mean welsh and scots? or northern irish?

Northern Irish, Welsh and Scottish too- but I've heard of Irish people being referred to as "British". I once read somewhere that Roy Keane is regarded as one of the greatest British footballers ever and U2 are one of the best British bands ever :roll:

So do you not hold a British passport if you live in Northern Ireland? Ireland is actually part of the British Isles so all the people of the whole island of Ireland are theoretically British :wink:

Well no, because it's a United kKngdom passport.

The Guardian once gave away their style guide, and I'm pretty sure that: UK and GB have specific political meanings; Britain (or british) is generally accepted short hand for UK (or a resident of) ; and british isles does include all Ireland, but is a geographical, not political description.

ETA - ironically, Isle of Man is not part of UK!

The Isle of Mann is a self governing British Crown Dependancy, head of state is Queen Elizabeth II (Lord of Mann) and represented by the Lieutenant Governor. It is not part of the UK but it's foreign relations and defence are the responsibilty of the UK government.
    :wink:
  • Pross
    But it is still part of the British Isles and therefore Cav is surely a Brit? :wink:
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Watching you lot debate whether Cav is British is like being a winner in the Special Olympics...
  • Pross
    Does that make any sense? :lol:
  • Ron Stuart
    Pross wrote:
    But it is still part of the British Isles and therefore Cav is surely a Brit? :wink:

For the purpose of team selection Cav qualifies to represent Great Britain the fact that the Isle of Mann is part of the British Isles has nothing to do with it as seen by Chris Froom's profile here.... http://www.teamsky.com/profile/0,27291, ... 00,00.html.
    The term British Isles only refers as previously mentioned to a geographic reference (group of islands) and has nothing to do with the political set-up governing those islands.
    e.g. Canada is part of the North American continent but is a separate nation to the USA.
    Dominion Republic/Haiti same island different countries.

It is this only that qualifies Cav.....

The Isle of Mann is a self governing British Crown Dependency, head of state is Queen Elizabeth II (Lord of Mann) and represented by the Lieutenant Governor. It is not part of the UK but its foreign relations and defense are the responsibility of the UK government.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I'm pretty sure Cav thinks he's British, but maybe you know better.
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    I think the honest truth is that were IOM capable of fielding a competitive olympic team, had the financial support that British Cycling gets, had the infrastructure, and generally positive outlook that BC currently enjoys, he'd probably be an IOM rider. They don't. They won't ever, so he's British - and we should be thankful!
  • Ron Stuart
    Just for those that like a few facts and I apologize to those that already know these facts but Northern Ireland isn't part of Great Britain.
    Originally the Kingdom of Great Britain included the Kingdom of England (including Wales) and the Kingdom of Scotland this came about in 1707.
    In 1801, Great Britain and Northern Ireland merged to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland which many of you will find written on the front of your passports along with European Union at the top.
    By the way Wiggo was born in Gent, Belgium as Bradley (Marc)! Wiggins and has received the CBE, Commander of the Order of the British Empire, whereas Cav recently received the MBE, Member of the Order of the British Empire, for what it's worth, which I think is rather in the mind of the beholder :D:wink:
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Just for those that like a few facts and I apologize to those that already know these facts but Northern Ireland isn't part of Great Britain.
    Originally the Kingdom of Great Britain included the Kingdom of England (including Wales) and the Kingdom of Scotland this came about in 1707.
    In 1801, Great Britain and Northern Ireland merged to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland which many of you will find written on the front of your passports along with European Union at the top.
    By the way Wiggo was born in Gent, Belgium as Bradley (Marc)! Wiggins and has received the CBE, Commander of the Order of the British Empire, whereas Cav recently received the MBE, Member of the Order of the British Empire, for what it's worth, which I think is rather in the mind of the beholder :D:wink:

[pedant alert]
    in 1801, Great Britain and Ireland merged to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. It became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in 1927 after the rest of Ireland became independent (in 1922).

[/pedant alert]
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart wrote:

[pedant alert]
    in 1801, Great Britain and Ireland merged to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. It became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in 1927 after the rest of Ireland became independent (in 1922).

[/pedant alert]

Aplogies you are quite right, Northern Ireland from Ireland in 1927, thanks. :oops: