OT - Watch Addiction?

2»

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Fender dreadnought electric acoustic in gloss black laquer with white piping, Hudson electric acoustic dobro in gloss black laquer and chrome resonator (that I don't get on with, may sell to free up a hanger :-) ), plain wood Fender dreadnought accoustic that's been around the world with me, has a small crack in one edge on the back where I whumped someone with it (drunkenly, decades ago and by accident) and an ancient little 3/4 size rosewood and pearl guitar I bought on a whim in Sotheby's twenty years ago because it was so pretty (but if strung it would probably collapse).

Oh, and another 1/2 size classical that the miniAH is sort of getting the hang of.

Along with blues harps, drums, a tambourine, ocarina, kazoo, triangle, keyboards and various amps.

The frightening thing is that the hour or two I played for last night (trying to get the wife to do the harmonies on "So long Marianne" with me) is the first time I've picked up an instrument in about six months - and it showed. Bad Simon, practice.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Crawler2
    Crawler2 Posts: 29
    My current watch is a Cristopher Ward C5 Malvern Aviator Mk2. It's automatic and pretty bomb proof. And it's pleasingly understated.
    My legs really ache.
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    I used to collect watches but stopped a couple of years ago. I still have them,

Breitling Chronomat (Steel / Yellow Gold: Green face: Leather Strap)
    Rolex GMT Master II (Steel: Black Face)
    Jeager LeCoultre Master Control Hometime (Rose Gold: Leather Strap)
    Rolex Daytona (Steel / Yellow Gold) - my day to day watch
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    SimonAH wrote:
    Fender dreadnought electric acoustic in gloss black laquer with white piping, Hudson electric acoustic dobro in gloss black laquer and chrome resonator (that I don't get on with, may sell to free up a hanger :-) ), plain wood Fender dreadnought accoustic that's been around the world with me, has a small crack in one edge on the back where I whumped someone with it (drunkenly, decades ago and by accident) and an ancient little 3/4 size rosewood and pearl guitar I bought on a whim in Sotheby's twenty years ago because it was so pretty (but if strung it would probably collapse).

Oh, and another 1/2 size classical that the miniAH is sort of getting the hang of.

Along with blues harps, drums, a tambourine, ocarina, kazoo, triangle, keyboards and various amps.

The frightening thing is that the hour or two I played for last night (trying to get the wife to do the harmonies on "So long Marianne" with me) is the first time I've picked up an instrument in about six months - and it showed. Bad Simon, practice.

Ooooh - Steel Dobro for sale - PM me! Might be interested!

I have a Yamaha LS6 acoustic, simple GA acoustic.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Crawler2 wrote:
    My current watch is a Cristopher Ward C5 Malvern Aviator Mk2. It's automatic and pretty bomb proof. And it's pleasingly understated.

Very tempted by a couple of the Christopher Ward watches - the C7 Rapide is nice. They're also based round the corner from where I live, so I like the idea of supporting them.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I have just one watch, but many straps on which to use it.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    Two Breils
    One U-Boat
    A Diesel automatic
    Suunto heartrate monitor
    A Seiko automatic from the 70's (gift from my dad when he bought a 'new' one)
    and a fake Panerai Black Seal from Malaysia

A Squier CV 50's Tele with a Fender Mustang amp.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,145
    Have to confess to being a bit of a watch nut in years gone by. I'm less 'into' them now but have kept them all anyway as I love them all:

- IWC Aquatimer chronograph
    - IWC Ingenieur
    - Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon
    - Zenith Defy (old one)
    - Omega Seamaster GMT
    - Panerai Marina Militare
    ...and 4 Casio G-Shocks :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • One of these as a daily...
    http://www.thewatchhut.co.uk/Casio--G-S ... BVMUR.html

Knock off rolex submariner
    Knock off rolex daytona
    (both bought when I worked for a while in china-long story..)
    Rectangular Breil ergo for best.
    Avi-8 automatic bought from one of the freeview telly shopping channels when g/f was drunk- and its pretty good really!

Fancy a Skagen next!

Still look at watches every so often.. it takes some self restraint not to buy!
    The beatings, horsewhippings and torture will continue until performance improves to an acceptable level. This may take some time.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    actually looking through my jewellery box I have my fair share of Swatch watches as well which are still keeping great time.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • nigglenoo
    nigglenoo Posts: 177
    I'm the dead opposite to the fetishists on here, I don't even really know what is a good watch :oops:

The only time I ever considered buying an expensive one was in the late 1980s when I was in the unusual position (for me) of being single and earning a bit of money. I looked at the bottom of the range Rolex in the window, then decided to spend the money on a car (nothing exciting) as I figured it had greater pulling power. I did not like the Rolex anyway as it was such a huge lump and I am quite small with slim wrists.

Meanwhile for my 40th I had a Citizen Ecodrive Titanium which tuned out to be a waste of £100, the capacitor gave up at about 5.5 years, six months after the warranty ran out, and I was quoted £60 to replace. I have had watches with ordinary batteries that last longer than that :roll:

Now I wear a dirt cheap (but well thought of) Casio: http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store ... ms=2541093 a classic design that is slim, has all the functions I need (date/day/alarm/stopwatch), has a comfortable strap and buckle and if I lose it or drop it I will just say "Oh bother!" then buy another.
  • PedalPedant
    PedalPedant Posts: 185
    nigglenoo wrote:
    Now I wear a dirt cheap (but well thought of) Casio: http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store ... ms=2541093 a classic design that is slim, has all the functions I need (date/day/alarm/stopwatch), has a comfortable strap and buckle and if I lose it or drop it I will just say "Oh bother!" then buy another.

I'm afraid £18.99 is bit too extravagant for me :wink: I got one of these for less than a tenner. It does everything I need.

41MRPFN8CVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In wanted to go for the classic "al-Qaida"* F-91W but it's not water resistant enough for swimming.

PP

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_F91W
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • nigglenoo
    nigglenoo Posts: 177
    nigglenoo wrote:

I'm afraid £18.99 is bit too extravagant for me :wink: I got one of these for less than a tenner. It does everything I need.

41MRPFN8CVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In wanted to go for the classic "al-Qaida"* F-91W but it's not water resistant enough for swimming.

PP

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_F91W
    I do prefer an analogue dial for those quick glance "What time is it and how long until?" moments, plus I tend to break plastic straps fairly quickly, but OTOH I love where we have taken this thread :D
  • PedalPedant
    PedalPedant Posts: 185
    nigglenoo wrote:
    OTOH I love where we have taken this thread :D

I know what you mean, I'm sorely tempted to suggest an Asda BSO in the "What Road Bike" thread :wink:

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    This is the watch that I've owned since I was 16 (many, many moons ago)
    Phone_Dialer_DBA-80.jpg

I haven't worn it for well over a decade, but I thought it was the dog's danglies at the time. It stores up to 50 phone numbers and you can dial the number by putting the microphone of the telephone up to the speaker on the front of the watch and pressing the dial button. Very handy in the days before I had a mobile and it meant I stopped even attempting to remember phone numbers well before most people.
    When the strap broke I replaced it with a metal one that was worth more than the actual watch was!

I haven't worn a watch since I stopped wearing it.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited June 2011
    Bump,

I think a couple of people here mentioned liking Christopher Ward watches. Just noticed they are having a Summer Sale. In case it helps anyone...
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Or Horology...

I was lucky enough to inherit a collection of watches;

Rolex Submariner 1960's
    Heuer Carrera 1960's
    Rolex GMT 1970's
    Omega Speedmaster 1960's (Moonwatch)
    Omega Seamaster bumper 1960's

That is a lovely collection.
  • Mr Sharky
    Mr Sharky Posts: 172
    Everyday watch is this: http://www.thewatchhut.co.uk/Citizen-Ge ... 1+52H.html

I do have a couple more watches but rarely wear them now... batteries probably dead too :oops:

I had one which my Wife bought for me a few years ago which I loved, finally got the battery changed and then bought the Citizen "for best"... only to use it every day as I love it. Nice and light too as it's Titanium.
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    Excellent, there seem to be a good few watch experts here.

So what would you recommend for a gent looking for a do it all watch? I don't like blinging styles, prefer non chrono, watch should look good on a bracelet or strap. Also I'd like a watch from a make that is likely to be around in 100 years time i.e makers like Omega, Rolex, Seiko, Citizen rather than Breil, TW Steel (who?). Finally, must be smaller than 40 mm and slim. Easy huh?
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    When I was younger (around the '80s) I had a couple of waterproof Timex digital watches..cheap & cheerful but the plastic cases broke. So I got a slightly more expensive one with a steel case and inset glass.
    That lasted better, but I never liked it much and was a bit relieved when the strap broke (fending off a Laser dinghy in surf, in case you're interested...) and I lost it.

I wanted something waterproof and analogue, looked at Swatches but had the same concerns about the plastic, so I bought a TAG F1.
    One of these:
    WA1211_2584-001.jpg
    Only with the Resin strap (I still had the cut on my wrist where the Laser had ripped off the stainless steel strap from the last one). This was just after they first brought them out- £89, it cost me...

I've worn it ever since. Every few years it needs a battery, occasionally a service but otherwise it's one of those rare things that Just Works.

Cheers,
    W.