Who wears watches and who wears gloves?

Comments

• brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    always gloves or mitts - dependent on weather , have got a nice bling like briel watch for on the bike - sad i know :lol:
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Used to feel naked without my watch on. It's a nice watch which was a gift and I wore it everyday. Then one day at work I whacked it into a filing cabinet and shat myself until I saw it was ok. That 2 seconds until I saw it was awful :lol: I really thought I had trashed it. So I stopped wearing it to work and now years later its tucked away and never worn at all. I'm going to get it serviced and start wearing it again.

Always wear mitts on the bike though, that's most certainly helped me retain the skin on my hands more than once.
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    Always gloves. Watch only comes off in the shower (too hard to dry!) so a nice permanent white wrist. Also wear it on the right (wrong) hand even though I'm right-handed. Little sis does the same.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I stopped wearing a watch years ago. I don't really need one now because my cumputer has a clock and my mobile phone has a clock.
  • I've got used to removing my watch when at work, its no good if your wrist gets hooked up in revolving machinery(smarts a bit) :wink: so don't wear one when on the bike, it's just a habit i've got into. Always wear gloves.
  • coombsfh
    coombsfh Posts: 186
    coombsfh wrote:
    I also have 2 Bell & Ross watches, both if which were very generous gifts and both of which need a service (£375 a piece; the gift that keeps taking...). I am only a student and have not been able to work recently (hospital) so need to save up before they are useable again.

Fred.
    Why not save yourself some money and sell me one of your watchs?

Because unserviced they won't be worth as much as they should be and besides, they were gifts that I don't feel I can sell. Once I get a job, servicing the expensive little blighters is a big priority.

I will lend you a watch, grant you the great luxury of servicing it and then dutifully take it off of your hands again...sound good? :wink:
    Also wear it on the right (wrong) hand even though I'm right-handed. Little sis does the same.

This makes me feel ill :cry:
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Watch and gloves, every ride, road or mtb.

i wear a protrek prg 40 99% of my waking hours, I've had it about 10 years and only last week put in the 3rd set of batteries.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    coombsfh wrote:
    Also wear it on the right (wrong) hand even though I'm right-handed. Little sis does the same.

This makes me feel ill :cry:

I also wear my watch on my right arm even though I'm right-handed, has always felt natural to me. I only wear a watch at weekends however, dont't wear one at work as I only own metal strapped watches and I spend my day probing around live circuit boards, don't really want to risk shorting anything out or electrocuting myself!
  • coombsfh
    Got some mechanixwear gloves for 11.99 on ebay so that's good.

Also flogging some watches, suits and a bike on ebay so they are more than paid for already!
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Haven't worn a watch in years, too uncomfortable.

I feel weirder when I forget to put gloves/mitts on than when I forget to put a helmet on.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never take my watch off and wear gloves 90% of the time.

What does surprise me is seeing professionals not wearing mitts when racing. Thats just silly. I remember one pro crashing out of a stage race and being dropped off at the airport and him not being able to even pick up his own suitcases.

Its hard to ride a bike with no palms.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I always wear both, find it far more comfortable riding in gloves.

As for the watch I just use my trusty old £5 casio from argos, takes so much abuse and never struggles
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It seems that roadies are generally into their watches. I too am partial to a nice piece of Swiss timekeeping.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Ive got a watch my grandad kept up his ass for 4 years in a japanese POW camp.
    Theres no way on earth that fecker is going near my wrist :shock:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • mortozola
    mortozola Posts: 23
    Never a watch and up until a couple of weeks ago always wore mitts/gloves for every ride. But my mitt tanlines are shocking at the moment! When I take the mitts off it looks like I have white ones still on. End of fingers are tanned, wrist (and arms) tanned, even got a little tanned circle where the velcro fastening leaves a gap. I look like a right weirdo and cant be hidden like usual cycling tan lines! So when not racing I ride without the mitts at the moment.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    mattshrops wrote:
    Ive got a watch my grandad kept up his ass for 4 years in a japanese POW camp.
    Theres no way on earth that fecker is going near my wrist :shock:

I would love to see you on Antiques Roadshow with it, as the expert is handling it, " so can you tell me a little bit about it?" Yes my grandad kept it up his arse!
  • coombsfh
    The rectal timepiece is quite a story.

There is a huge range of glove-wearing habits here...I will definitely wear gloves as soon as they arrive and will always wear a watch.
  • eBay link?
    Ps you don't need two bell & Ross watchs :D
    Just think of all the bike stuff you could buy
  • coombsfh
    eBay link?
    Ps you don't need two bell & Ross watchs :D
    Just think of all the bike stuff you could buy

I am only selling a couple of casio mudmen and a revolution courier and I don't wanna put links in as this isdnt the for sale forum and I don't want a ban/bollocking.

You don't even know what models they are Steve, you might hate them both. :wink:

Quite a few of my casios are on loan to friends and family but mudmen I just dont use.
  • Haha, most bell & Ross watchs are pig ugly
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Haha, most bell & Ross watchs are pig ugly

They look alright to me,although i must admit i prefer my Breitling.. :wink::D
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Only like the brietlings with the heritage strap
    Transocean is very nice but too rich for my blood
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Wear a watch ---Suunto altimeter type---virtually 24/24. Wear it when all types cycling and it is very useful for checking rate of ascent on bike rides / total ascenst etc. Always wear gloves, except when very hot uphills (.30c on continent being example)
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177

Why don't you share your watch?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,089
    Garmin forerunner an gloves
  • guinea wrote:

Sorry ?
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    guinea wrote:

Sorry ?

What do you wear?
  • coombsfh
    I will share:

One is a very early chronograph. Black face, black metal band, and a sinn movement.

The other is a vintage 126. Black face, white numerals, black bezel, steel case and a choice of black rubber or a leather strap.

Casio's are: A gold A-164, a silver A-168, a GW-5500-1, a G-5500-1, a G-5500-TS-8, a G-5500-3, a G-5500-4, A GW-M5600-1ER and 2 G-9000 mudmen in beige (stormtrooper) and black which I am ebaying now.
  • marksteven
    marksteven Posts: 208
    always wear watch & gloves, mits in summer big1s in winter . had to swap wrists for a few weeks, when i fell off & smashed my elbow into bits. swapped it back yesterday :lol:
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Watch (trusty old Royal Navy diver's watch - has been to hell and back and could tell some interesting stories if it could talk but still works faultlessy and has a lovely patina of battering) all the time, gloves all the time but which pair depends on what I'm doing: Mighty Mitts for every day use (cheap and comfy, bullet proof, last years and years - 3 crashes over the past 3 years in my current pair and still all perfect) Mavic high wrist race gloves for racing/posing - faultless feel through them but very thin and I must admit that I wouldn't like to crash in them.