Who wears watches and who wears gloves?

coombsfh
coombsfh Posts: 186
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
I am one of those people who feels naked without a watch and NEVER take them off. Perhaps this will change if I get a bike computer but I can't really see it happening.

I was wondering who keeos their watch on for riding and who ditches it.

Also, when I used to ride my MTB I had a pair of mechanix wear work gloves. I don't yet feel like I need any and whondered how many people wear them for road riding.

Best wishes,

Fred.

Comments

• CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    I never wear a watch (I take them off and lose them too much to be trusted).

I wear Cycling gloves about 50% of the time (In summer, always in winter). If my hands don't feel aore in any way I don't bother with gloves.
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    I never wear a watch whilst cycling or other sports but at all other times.

Always wear (appropriate for the season) gloves when cycling / motorcycling.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    edited June 2011
    I usually wear a watch, other than when on my bike, but it's in Switzerland being fixed at th emoment, and I do feel a little naked with out it. That said, I went about three years with out wearing one, as sone tw*t broke my old one and the one I wanted as a replacement was a little beyond my budget.
    Strange how I'm happy to spend that budget on bike stuff that I don't really need though !!!!

As for gloves, I wear then when ever I'm on the bike. Road or MTB. I've picked too much gravel out of my palms over the years not to !!! Plus, my road gloves are nice white leather mitts :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    have to wear a watch (Animal W001 Red) or i feel naked
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    I always wear a watch when riding other than racing. My watch is quite large and when I inevitably get dropped on club run climbs it's become a bit of a standing joke for one of my clubmates to suggest it is down to the watch!

I wouldn't even consider riding without gloves / mitts. I've seen the state of peoples hands when they have crashed without them plus they are handy for wiping snot / sweat and also if you've ridden through a stony section of road you can clear the grit off your tyres while on the move when wearing gloves (just be careful!).
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I wear a watch for everyday use,but wouldnt dream of wearing it whilst out on the bike as it's way to expensive and i wouldnt want to break it if i were unfortunate enough to have a crash.

I always wear gloves mainly for protection,but my hands become very slippery when i sweat and i have slipped off of my handlebars in the past,so wearing gloves also solves this problem.......
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I wear a combined Polar heart rate monitor/ watch on my road bike.

I almost always wear mitts with gel palms, I have a cheap lidl and an aldi pair. If I forget them - even on the two miles to work -I feel quite naked without them. In the winter I wore thicker non-cycling gloves, but really need to get a cycling pair sorted for next winter.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    virtually always wear gloves mainly fingerless unless its really cold), instinct is to put you hands out if you have an off, glove save your palms a lot of skin loss.

Always wear a watch too, but usually an older one if MTBing.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    I wear both. I have worn a watch since my early teens and have never been without one. I'm in the "I feel naked without a watch on" club as well.
  • coombsfh
    I hadn't really considered the palm protection thing...merely the warmth and grip aspects. I really ought to wear some as A) I am a beginner and will probably come off sooner or later and B) I train grip strength and I could do without shredded palms.

Watches: I wear any of a wide selection of casios (some of whihc I am selling on ebay at the moment) and I also have 2 Bell & Ross watches, both if which were very generous gifts and both of which need a service (£375 a piece; the gift that keeps taking...). I am only a student and have not been able to work recently (hospital) so need to save up before they are useable again. Even once they are serviced I wouldn't dream of wearing them on the bike.

I am going to order a new pair of mechanix wear gloves now...

Thanks for the info,

Fred.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I never wear a watch on the bike, I have enough tan lines already without a white band round the wrist.

I know I should, but I don't often wear mitts if it's really hot.
  • jobless
    jobless Posts: 29
    I am a "never without gloves or a watch" although this morning I was without gloves oddly enough. it didn't feel right.

Watch is always on, I have a few. But after doing the RVV with both a watch for telling the time (heavy Stainless steel thing) and a HRM I will think again about wearing a watch on cobbles or anything rough. I never looked at either. And by the first feed station i had lost skin on both my wrists. I had the rest of the ride to go and they took 3 weeks to heal properly (i didn't stop wearing a watch).
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I managed to skim 1mm of leather off the palm of my mitts. That would have been down to the bone. It makes me cringe even thinking about crashing without mitts.

I always wear a watch, normally a nice, slim steel one but on tour, a cheap Casio digital.
    If your metal watch strap is ripping your skin over rough ground, then it seems a fairly nasty strap and you should change it.

There are some people who think that the vibration from riding can damage a fine mechanical watch.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Always wear gloves/mitts according to the weather. Aldi/Lidl ones mostly, entirely serviceable and slightly disposable. Never wear a watch, not even sure if I still have any. My skin is very sensitive (the only part of me that is) and I get a rash under the case where sweat and dirt collect. It is the same with rings.

The world is full of ways to tell the time, clocks on churches, shops, in cars, phones, bike computers, etc. Oddly, the bike computers are not set for the 'right' time but they do tell me, accurately, how long I have ridden.

I am told that mobile phones have destroyed the market for wristwatches :?
    The older I get the faster I was
  • jobless
    jobless Posts: 29
    If your metal watch strap is ripping your skin over rough ground, then it seems a fairly nasty strap and you should change it.

The watch was a Rolex Sea Dweller - hardly a nasty strap :shock: (although it could be better, the new solid one on the Deepsea is nice). It wasn't the strap rather the case-back rubbing against the wrist bone. same happened on the other wrist which had a cheap plastic HRM on it (done up as tight as was comfortable). Belgian cobbles are rougher and more relentless than I had given them credit for. I won't be wearing one on Paris-Roubaix I'd lose my hand in the Arenberg forest!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I always wear my watch. Worn it almost every day since I was 18.

I always wear gloves when riding too, they've saved the skin on my hands more than once. When I had a bad crash in '09 ( came off at over 40mph) my gloves were worn down but my hands were fine. Gloves are ace.
  • coombsfh
    Just looking on ebay for more mechanix wear ones. They were so comfy last time I had a pair and seem cheap enough.

Might poke up to edinburgh to see what bottle cages and computers they have too.

Do you lot go for fingerless or closed gloves?
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Always wear a watch, always wear gloves or mitts (weather dictates which).
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Always wear a watch.

Scratched a Panerai when I broke my hip a few years back but wouldn't stop wearing them.

I prefer not to use leather straps on the bike as they get sweaty and smelly.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Watch AND gloves

and a little yellow tutu thing that really matches the yellow stripe down the side of my Ron Hill hipsters!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Always weare a watch (except when showering and sleeping), but its a bugger with mitts - but i still where both. even the my cycle comp can give me the time - i still need a watch on!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • coombsfh
    I even wear a watch sleeping and showering...
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Never wear a watch when cycling, always wear gloves or mitts (weather dictates which).
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I always wear a watch and mostly always wear gloves for protection. The only exception being triathlons, however I feel very vunerable without gloves.
    Funnily enough I feel safer without a helmet on than without gloves!
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I do own a nice divers watch but never wear it on the bike. No need as always have Garmin and Iphone.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I take my watch off when riding as it is a stainless submariner. Don't wear glove at all in summer, only winter when it is obviously cold. Use my 305 forerunner on the bike, no wires or sensors, nice and clean, lovely. :)
  • coombsfh wrote:
    I also have 2 Bell & Ross watches, both if which were very generous gifts and both of which need a service (£375 a piece; the gift that keeps taking...). I am only a student and have not been able to work recently (hospital) so need to save up before they are useable again.

Fred.
    Why not save yourself some money and sell me one of your watchs?
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    edited June 2011
    i always wear gloves . only a schmoe leaves his prints everywhere.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    jobless wrote:
    The watch was a Rolex Sea Dweller - hardly a nasty strap :shock: (although it could be better, the new solid one on the Deepsea is nice). It wasn't the strap rather the case-back rubbing against the wrist bone.

That's not a watch, its a diving weight. I tried a mates Submariner once and it stuck out a mile, the Sea Dweller is even thicker.
    The thing I like about my Certina is that the back and strap seem to merge into a continuous curve with no rear protrusion and strap mounts are much lower than normal. Its very comfortable on my skinny, bony wrist.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Never ever wear a watch and always wear gloves/mitts when on the bike.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.