Huge heart rate variation, any idea why?

G-Wiz
G-Wiz Posts: 261
Just after the first food stop on the dragon ride I was going fairly quick at the back of a decent group, looked down and saw I was doing about 98 cadence (usually I go at about 80) and had been running at a HR of 176 for several minutes, and carried on doing so for about another 3 or 4 before I got worried and backed off a bit.

I felt fine though and went on to knock out the 120km route at one of the fastest averages I've ever done for over 2 hours.

Normally the equivalent RPE would have me at just over 160. At 168 I can hold it for a few minutes, over 170 you can usually count in seconds before I blow, and take a while to recover. I felt OK for the whole ride apart from the last 20 minutes when I was properly shagged out.

I can't blame heat as if anything I was a bit cool, but nothing bad. I had the normal food which was porridge & toast for breakfast and a Torq bar about every hour and a bottle of SIS energy about every hour.

Any ideas what else could have caused the spike? It's more the fact that I kept going for hours after that's the mystery. Or have I just hit massively good form?

I didn't do much the week before as I'd been having knee troubles, but they were fine on the day. Very hard week at work though so mentally quite tired.

What other factors are there in heartrate? I know I should get a powermeter, but until I can afford one speed and HR are all I have.

Comments

• rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    G-Wiz, take a look at my SVT thread and see if that rings any bells for you.

Of course, it's likely to be something simpler, such as interference from other people's HRM straps etc., particularly if you didn't actually feel different during the period of spurious HRM readings.
  • G-Wiz
    Could be, I didn't feel at all bad though, but probably best to have a look at it, I'm doing the Etape in a month! Thanks for the pointer.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    Adrenaline and being psyched up for it?

I certainly performed harder than I usually do on my one and only sportive.
  • G-Wiz
    It was about an hour in, so probably not likely, and with the hour-long wait for the start any adrenaline went out the window.
  • Heart rate monitor playing silly buggers? Cross-talk with other riders?