What is your ideal cake stop snack

DCowling
DCowling Posts: 769
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hopefully you can all asist , I may have to find alternative employment and thought about setting up a cafe aimed at cyclists, i.e avoiding the normal stodgy ( but fantastic ) full breakfast etc.
So I thought I would ask for your help and suggestions as to what you prefer on your cake stop
Many Thanks

Comments

• Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    A big, moist slab of cake! Preferably carrot or coffee & walnut, or chocolate or Victoria Sponge.

Or even a Bakewell tart, or a treacle tart.

Just so long as it's moist and has a lot of icing. Mmmmmm...
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    You should also definitely consider getting some Germanic food in there! Garlic creme soup is amazing while taking a pause, and also normal grilled bratwurstel are extremely tasty as a snack! No oil though, otherwise too fatty and greasy.

Not a huge fan of cake. Make sure to also stock up on power bars and the such to sell there!
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Gotta be tea cakes!
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    flapjacks made with something like honey or golden syrup nom nom nom
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    A huge slab of date slice for me, please! :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I don't think this is very popular but I'm a BIG fan of pastries - croissants, almond croissants, tarts, muffins.

Any pastry that's focussed around nuts or fruit.

Look Mum no hands does lovely croquets.

Some more useful advice however would be to go a little continental.

Chips with mayo, ice teas, pastas, Millefeuille, stroopwafels, Pâte de Fruits, etc.
  • amun1000
    amun1000 Posts: 242
    Ollieda wrote:
    flapjacks made with something like honey or golden syrup nom nom nom

+1
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
  • mcmullej
    mcmullej Posts: 136
    Custom PBB's:

For example: a toasted, fruity hotcross bun with peanut butter and sliced banana.

Be careful - don't be tempted to eat more than one.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    edited June 2011
    Thick Marmite on toast. The toast should be thick enough so that the outside is toasted, but the inside still slightly soft. The Marmite should be thick enough that it looks like Nutella. Can I also put in an order for Earl Grey tea by the half pint? Thanks
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Whatever you sell, make sure you get a proper coffee machine.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    must have quality and original & run of the mill scones (cheese and branson,haggis,sausage and cheese etc. etc.) and yes haggis scones are wonderfull
  • Aggieboy wrote:

And a decent brand of coffee to go with it!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Aggieboy wrote:

And a decent brand of coffee to go with it!

+1

I'm a simple man, I'll have a bacon sandwich too please.

And can you make sure it's on one of my routes, and not too close to home either, cheers.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Employ a waitress with a provocative sense of dress, and you can sell anything you like :wink:
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    good hot chocolate (eg one made with hot milk and San Cristobal hot chocolate), toast and marmalade!

toasted tea cakes! yum.

- one thing would be great in winter is somewhere to hang wet clothes, hopefully with a heat source nearby to have a drying effect.

- good loos with hot water on tap.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    brin wrote:
    Employ a waitress with a provocative sense of dress, and you can sell anything you like :wink:

+1
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    Bakewell tarts and coffee should do it.

None of this pansy rubbish! Haggis scones? do one. :P
    FCN: 6
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Cakes and food should be homemade, makes a big difference. Thick toast as another has said. Big mugs of quality tea and coffee. Employ good staff and have a good system to process 40 club riders who descend upon you at the same time.
    My personal fav is toast and marmite covered in baked beans.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    If you can get the same tomato soup I had in a Munich cafe last autumn then it would be a winner, would pedal a long way to taste that on a chilly day.
  • Aggieboy
    Ollieda wrote:
    brin wrote:

+1

Baps.

mooiness-waitress.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Aggieboy could provide you with some bread in the shape of a lycra clad girl on a bike. :)

thats if he found his bread making machine thingy
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Eccles cakes.
    Chorley cakes.
    YourLocationHere cakes.

As for savouries - bacon rolls, brown sauce.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • byker_dude
    byker_dude Posts: 10
    Bacon and sausage sandwich, and a nice fresh belgian bun. Mmmmm...
  • coombsfh
    coombsfh Posts: 186
    I have not done a proper road ride with a legitimate cake stop.

However when I used to MTB I had a pint or two and a pub lunch :shock:

There is a cafe in my village (Cherhill in Wiltshire, on the A4) whihc has changed hands numerous times over the past 5/6 years. Finally someone has got it right and the place is ALWAYS heaving now, people even go out of their way to visit it.

They attract bikers, motorbikers, passing trade, locals and people wanting something to do on a sunday...

Their menu is brilliant, the coffee is gorgeous and everyhing is hand made. They offer things like bakewell tart, coffee, carrot, chocolate and victoria sponge cakes. Roulades and so on, cream teas, soups, croque madames and monsieurs, scones etc etc. It seems a simple enough formula but they do the simple things so bloody well that word of mouth is more than enough to fill the place every day it is open.

Perhaps adding energy bars etc as suggested by others would make your little dream cafe more bikery but as far as cafe's go this one is my fave now and it is in my own village :)

Best of luck if you do follow through with it.

Fred.
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    Thanks to all,
    some great pointers here, ( especially liking the waitress idea) I had considered the power bars and gels etc as well as having a tap availible for the free water top up. and secure bike stands etc
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Cheese, Beans and Egg on toast is almost staple diet for my club!
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Cornflake cakes. Jam in the middle and toffee sauce on top. Winner!
  • Aggieboy
    I've always thought it would be a good idea (space allowing) to have an area/room where for a % of the sale price you sell decent unwanted clothing/frames/wheels etc brought in by other cyclists. A bun and a browse, lovely.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Best cakes on a ride are to be had at the top of Box Hill. Makes the push up the hill worthwhile, although you often have to queue for ages to get the cake but they have a great selection...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    our club uses the same cafe every Saturday. We keep a repair kit, track pump, spare tubes and a first aid kit there for use, and all of them have seen use, including the first aid kit.