Ever have days when you just can't be bothered to ride?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
the past few days i have found it really hard to commute in on my bike, don't know why although. i dont mean its literally hard to pedal, its just hard having the motivation to get on the bike i am pretty shattered at the moment from working on my garden though

anyone else feel like this from time to time?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• No, never.
  • mudcow007
    to be honest i think it might just be a case of MTFU!!

it doesn't help that i don't see anyone else on my route in to spur me on
  • cyclingpast
    cyclingpast Posts: 111
    happens to me more often than i'd like now i work earlier- for me it's down to a lack of sleep, i can never get to sleep early
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Most mornings to be honest.

However, with me it really is down to just not being a morning person. 30 minutes after I should've left if I was cycling in, I want to be on the bike.

Every time I drive in, I want to be on the bike.

When I am ON the bike, I want to be on the bike.

When I'm struggling out of bed with a full bladder and a head full of fluffy clouds: I really DON'T want to be on the bike.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Take a couple of days off the bike, you will soon miss it and you will get your mojo back in no time.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Weather can play a big part in motivation.

If the weather is okay and you are not motivated, take a day off.
    It's not compulsory. Is it? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Actually, if you ever need motivation, subject yourself to public transport instead of riding.
  • mudcow007
    i think the weather might definitely play a part in it, its been crap here, really really over cast like its about to chuck it down any min

i think I'm just lacking sleep, once i've been on the bike for 20mins or so i'm fine its just the initial getting on the bike.......its only been like this since Monday though
  • mudcow007
    Actually, if you ever need motivation, subject yourself to public transport instead of riding.
    please dont make me do it!

because i have long legs i have sit at funny angles on bus seat an i always get a fat oaf sitting in front of you crushing my legs or people who stink of wee

yack!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Every now and then....

This morning though was the other way round - took my daughter to school on the bikes (her first commute :-) They've given her dispensation to bring her bike in a year earlier than normally allowed - I'm certain it's nothing to do with her mum being a governor....). Got there, locked hers up at the bike shed and headed off to the office.

Got perhaps 100 yards before someone opened a zip on a celestial waterbed - hammered home, put the bike in the garage and jumped in the car....

Result? I get to the office and climb out of a Golf - in wet lycra, track mitts and cycling shades. This got some interesting looks. :shock:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Occasionally, then I stop and think about how I'll feel going to the station, paying SWT £13 and sitting in a sardine can and getting to work at the same time.

If I ever can't be bothered to train in general I'll hit up youtube for a rick and dick hoyt video!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    SimonAH wrote:
    Every now and then....

This morning though was the other way round - took my daughter to school on the bikes (her first commute :-) They've given her dispensation to bring her bike in a year earlier than normally allowed - I'm certain it's nothing to do with her mum being a governor....). Got there, locked hers up at the bike shed and headed off to the office.

Got perhaps 100 yards before someone opened a zip on a celestial waterbed - hammered home, put the bike in the garage and jumped in the car....

Result? I get to the office and climb out of a Golf - in wet lycra, track mitts and cycling shades. This got some interesting looks. :shock:

Worst of both worlds ? :wink:
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Never. Wash your mouth out!

A change is as good as a rest. Try varying your route. Better still get a faster bike :D
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Only when I'm ill. But then if I'm too ill to ride, I'm too ill to work, right?
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Yeah, when the ride is getting monotonous then thinking about it can be a real drag. Using public transport is a good fix - you get a wee change, and might even re-appreciate the bike after waiting for a bus for an hour!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I always think about southeastern trains, the people, the seats, the appalling timetable record and I think yeah I am better off on my bike, and even if I am a bit de-motivated after 15 mins on it I am glad I chose the bike.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Everyday, then I remember that the last time I filled up the car, it cost me £125.....and I get on my bike.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Sometimes, but it disappears once I get on the bike.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Had it for a while earlier this year. The forum advice worked for me, slow down, enjoy the view, enjoy the actual experience of being on your bike, rather than being focused on blasting in and scalping all and sundry.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Mark Bom
    Mark Bom Posts: 184
    I normally feel lazy when I wake up and unless its a sunny day I have a 'can't be arsed' attitude.

But I've realised that it all goes away when I'm on the bike, so I just get dressed and get out on it. But I know what you mean!!
  • bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    South West Trains and the tube is my motivation.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Had it for a while earlier this year. The forum advice worked for me, slow down, enjoy the view, enjoy the actual experience of being on your bike, rather than being focused on blasting in and scalping all and sundry.

Going through a bit of this at the mo. Work is ramping up and I find myself quite a bit more tired when I cycle in, even after a decent post-ride breakfast. Doing a PB on the way in this morning (20.7 moving average, I <3 tailwinds) hasn't helped met get any brownie-points off the boss nor made me work more effectively unfortunately. Thinking of taking my speedo off on occasions to help relax on rides.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Only 2 days this year off the bike and was gutted I missed them.

Some days you don't want to, but then I think how unhappy the train makes me and how I need the miles to gain on Undercover, and that gets me reaching for the cycling shorts.... :)
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    It does happen to me sometimes but I know once I am on the bike it will go away, I just have to force myself out of the door.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • mudcow007
    ahh i don't feel alone then

to be honest i think its just lack of sleep or crap weather, its absolutely just chucked it down here so im hoping it will be nice on the way back

i do kinda feel better once im on the bike but its getting out the door i feel reluctant, i will have a stern word with my self
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    My wife worried about me cycling every day and wanted me to buy another motorbike so I have a choice. I now have a 1200cc Triumph Daytona that I can ride if I feel lazy. It's far too easy to wimp out now for any reason. 150odd bhp is perfect for a 6 mile commute, not. I did cycle today though, including an 8 mile diversion to deliver my son's PE kit.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I've had that since last November.

Combined with the costs of a 40 mile a day commute I've been struggling to see the point.
    So I've been getting the train in. It's not so bad, I might be moving jobs soon so a return to the bike may be on the cards, depends what happens, I've just been going out on leisure rides at the weekends instead.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Sometimes, but then the words of my colleague come into my head

"you never regret the days you ride in, but you always regret the days you don't....Unless it's very windy or you have an off!"

Just think of the smug feeling you get once you get to work, usually works for me :wink:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Actually, if you ever need motivation, subject yourself to public transport instead of riding.

+1
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Butterd2 wrote:
    It does happen to me sometimes but I know once I am on the bike it will go away, I just have to force myself out of the door.

+1 overall and + 5 for the bold bit..
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]