New Yeti - curious suspension design.

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2011 in MTB general
Just saw this...
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/y ... look-30488

Whilst it looks interesting, an is a novel approach, I can;t help thinking all it does really is achieve the same thing as other VPP bikes.
I guess intil it's ridden, or we can get detailed analysis of rear wheel path and spring rates etc we won't know if it offers something truly unique though.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    yer seems to just be a new way of gving a bike vpp like characteristics, nice bit of engineering though, and it looks great, the carbon one should be awesome
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Seconded, the pinkbike description even has it as a micro link. The video is quite a good illustration- http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Yeti-SB-66-First-Look-2011.html
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Anonymous
    I like how they're upfront about what they're aiming for with the wheel path, too many manufacturers spout meaningless flowery nonsense.
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    It's a Yeti, it will be blinding.
  • it certainly looks very interesting. i've been looking around at other mini link/vpp frames like tracer's and nomads etc for a while now, but if this yeti performs as they say it does then i'll be very tempted by one.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It rather reminds me of the earlier I Drive, though this had the bottom bracket in the eccentric, not the main pivot. They dropped it for a linkage.

It's a interesting way of varying the virtual pivot point. No doubt to circumvent patents.
  • crnshezus
    crnshezus Posts: 11
    i like it, plus its a yeti, so no doubt will be wicked
  • Anonymous
    crnshezus wrote:
    There's no place for fanboyism in engineering though :lol:
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Yeti's 303 has an equally bizarre suspension system.
  • Anonymous
    Is that the rail system? I've never had a good close look at it.
  • supersonic
    crnshezus wrote:

This will no doubt happen though. All Yeti fans will proclaim it to be the bestest everest.
  • crnshezus wrote:

There is fanboyism for lack of engineering though... Orange 5 has hardly changed in 8 years or however many its been going :wink::lol:
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Is that the rail system? I've never had a good close look at it.

Yeah. I've heard it works well, but it puts the whole frame under ridiculous stress and it's prone to failure.
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    It rather reminds me of the earlier I Drive, though this had the bottom bracket in the eccentric, not the main pivot. They dropped it for a linkage.
    That was my thought too.

More parts to service and potentially go wrong though.
  • lawman
    Not that I'm a fanboi of the dw link, much anyway, but IMO the idea of twin link bikes is possibly the best around, dunno whether it's my riding style or what, but I always feel more comfortable on them, I've ridden vpp, dw link and quad link whytes/ marins and I've loved them all mostly, and my mojo is the best thing since sliced bread, no other design has really hit all the right buttons for me, numerous linkage single pivots I've ridden have either bobbed like crazy or felt crap over big hits and under braking, fsr designs seem too active without constant propedal adjustment, which on the highend stumpy fsr I rode, you couldn't do cos of the stupid brain crap, and dare I mention the orange 5?! :lol:

From what I can tell anyways, a twin link bike will nearly always out perform most other designs, but Im open to be proved wrong :lol:
  • Anonymous
    A lot of a bike's feel depends on the rider's weigh and power, it could be that you just really suit the twin link design.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Indeed,

It so is personal, most people would say my rear end is over active and with out pro pedal bobs like a swine, but i've never known a more sensative air platform for the downs, every set up has pro's n cons which different peopel will love/hate.

But i gotta admit to having a real soft spot for yeti's... there just sooooo pretty
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    It's a Yeti, it will be blinding.

Wot he said :)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • lawman
    A lot of a bike's feel depends on the rider's weigh and power, it could be that you just really suit the twin link design.

yer I guess you have to factor in weight/power/pedal technique among other things, I'm a light but pretty powerful rider, with a smoothish technique, well as smooth as using flat pedals allows, and I swear my mojo is the best pedalling bike of the guys I rode with, and they're all on 100mm xc bikes, and interestingly they are all linkage actuated single pivots, but they all seem to bob an awful lot for what they were designed for.
  • Anonymous
    It so is personal, most people would say my rear end is over active
    :lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998

Beat me to it!

The joke I mean....not his rear end!

Lawman: I must say I was really impressed with the Mojo, when I was behind you at the Long Mynd I could see it was almost motionless while you were pedalling, but then as soon as you hit even a small bump, while still pedalling, it soaked it up. I tried to make it bob when I had that test ride and just couldn't. But then I'm probably a similar rider to you in terms of weight and technique.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thewaylander
    bails87 wrote:

Beat me to it!

Lawman: I must say I was really impressed with the Mojo, when I was behind you at the Long Mynd I could see it was almost motionless while you were pedalling, but then as soon as you hit even a small bump, while still pedalling, it soaked it up. I tried to make it bob when I had that test ride and just couldn't. But then I'm probably a similar rider to you in terms of weight and technique.

Your just jealous you wanted to be first to my rear end :P
  • lawman
    bails87 wrote:

Beat me to it!

it's incredible isn't it! I don't like banging on about it, but it's just insane how a bike that descends that well, and is so plush can climb without even a hint of movement, stunningly good climber, would love to try it with the new fox kashima shock though or maybe even a cane creek double barrel just see if it's even better
  • Anonymous
    If you were a different weight, or power rider, or a different weight distribution, you might try the Mojo and think it was a pile of cack though.
    The "perfect" bike has not been made. (That may come as a shock to Orange 5 fans :lol::wink: )
  • lawman
    Very true yeehaa, but as I say it seems to be the attributes of the twin link designs I like, maybe as you put it for reason they just suit my style more, the only non twin bikes I've ever really liked the ride of is te cove hustler and the sunn kern, bikes like the zesty and commie meta looked great on paper but they both felt like right pigs when I rode them
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I'm kind of on the same team as Lawman. My old VPP intense to this day is the best performing rear suspension I've ridden compared to a wide variety of stuff owned and tested. I always assumed that it was just the dual linkages, though I'm a little more tutored now and understand it to be more to do with the way the shock is activated and chain stretch.
    Now on a Horst pivot, the geometry of the Moment is much better than the 5.5 was so overall this is the preferred bike.

I'm doubtful of this new design though, like the original i-drive (owned and hated), just seems a solution to a problem solved 5 times over.
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    It looks really interesting and I would love to ride it. I must say that the photo of the complete swing-arm assembly on Pinkbike is simply stunning.
  • supersonic
    'Twin link' designs vary enormously though, you can't say they all behave the same. VPP and DW couldn't be more different when graphing their characteristics.
  • Thewaylander
    again one of the biggest variance to most designs is the shok and how you set the shok up on the bike. If it's not set right you will hate it.
  • Anonymous
    again one of the biggest variance to most designs is the shok and how you set the shok up on the bike. If it's not set right you will hate it.
    The frame has a far greater impact on ride. The shock is to fine tune it from there.