OT - Business Speak

2»

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493

Actually science-speak is worse than business speak - try attending a lecture on cladistics

What? a science dedicated to sticking things to the front of your house?

anyway....

"there isn't a noun that can't be verbed"

is it just me getting moist at the elegant self-referential-ness of that sentence?
  • It is not new and it is a way of disguising or obscuring the real intent behind the words. I recommend this essay written in 1946 by George Orwell.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    It is not new and it is a way of disguising or obscuring the real intent behind the words. I recommend this essay written in 1946 by George Orwell.

Thank you. I really enjoyed that.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Sewinman wrote:
    My problem is that such words are almost always used to make something fairly straight forward sound very complicated, and thus make the presenter sound clever. I dislike the pomposity of it.

But does it though? For me it has the exact opposite effect. I get this occaisionally with suppliers, or consultants, and its usually pretty obvious if the jargon is masking an area of ignorance. Or if it isn't, and I don't understand what they're talking about, I have no problem with asking for an explanation. Jargon and business speak is only a problem if office politics prevents objective discussion, surely?
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    notsoblue wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    My problem is that such words are almost always used to make something fairly straight forward sound very complicated, and thus make the presenter sound clever. I dislike the pomposity of it.

But does it though? For me it has the exact opposite effect. I get this occaisionally with suppliers, or consultants, and its usually pretty obvious if the jargon is masking an area of ignorance. Or if it isn't, and I don't understand what they're talking about, I have no problem with asking for an explanation. Jargon and business speak is only a problem if office politics prevents objective discussion, surely?

No, I usually think they sound stupid. They think they sound clever. I would not go so far as to call business speak "a problem", rather that it is an irritant. When I hear a speaker start using business speak I usually become fixated on the jargon and they don't get my full attention....which is probably the opposite effect to that intended.