c2c rider(s) wanted

mounty
mounty Posts: 682
edited July 2011 in MTB rides
I really want to ride the c2c and I would like to ride with other people...so I am looking for at least one and hopefully more riders...

Fitness is good and I would be open to suggestions on duration of ride etc. I am serious about doing this, but I would be riding for fun & enjoyment rather than just riding it as a fast as possible...

Would anyone be interested in doing the c2c? If so just get in touch and hopefully we can sort something out...

Cheers.

Comments

• stumpym4
    stumpym4 Posts: 216
    Hi Mounty, the C2C is something i have always wanted to do , but either never got round to it or had the mates to ride with it , hence never did it,even found sherpa services to move your bags from hotel to hotel etc.
    ive already got a gps route of the c2c !
    Will have to come to the wyre one sunday and have a chat about it, keep meaning to make the effort and ride the wyre, havent been down there in ages ..
    cant do the next few sundays as im away on hols ...
    speak soon Tony
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    On One 853 single speed
    Pinnacle Arkose 2 - cross bike
    Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus - Bike packing bike
    Cube attain GTC Pro road bike - more relaxed road bike
    Giant scr1 road bike
  • mounty
    Hi Tony,

Sounds good, give me a shout when you are free & up for a guided tour of the Wyre, we could have a chat about the c2c....

I know someone who might be able to provide vehicle & baggage support to makes things easier.

I just think a big part of the experience & journey would be to ride with other riders and not just ride on my own....hence posting upon this forum.

Cheers.
  • Typerchris
    Typerchris Posts: 74
    We did the c2c a fortnight ago so don't fancy it again so soon, we did it over 3 days and just carried the stuff we needed in camelbaks. Recommendation do the Whitehaven to Sunderland rather than the Workington to tynemouth oh and do the alternative route off road sections. Good luck if you get it sorted
  • Hi,

The c2c is something I've been looking into and riding with other riders would make it much more fun. Let me know your thoughts I'd definitely be interested in tagging along.

James
  • mounty
    Hi James,

No definite plans yet, I have ordered the c2c book for more info.

Random thoughts on the ride.....ideally looking at 2 or 3 days, I would much prefer a steady pace and enjoy the route/view...

I would be able to get someone to provide vehicle support, in the sense that I could get the camping gear etc transported from one place to another should it be needed, unless B&B's are used.

When would you be able to do it James ? And where are you based ?

Cheers,

Paul
  • Hi Paul,

I'm based near to Cannock in Staffordshire. Given some notice timing shouldn't be an issue, I can be fairly flexible. When were you thinking of doing the ride?

I like the idea of a steady paced 3 day option to enjoy the route. Either accommodation option is OK with me, but I don't fancy the idea of camping in December ;)

James
  • mounty
    James,

I was thinking of sometime in September as I will be on holiday for about the first 3 weeks, but I am in a position with some notice to be flexible too.

I have been reading up on the route etc and I think the 3 day option would be the best. I think its important to enjoy the ride and not just ride fast with your head down....and from what people have told me, the scenery is great.

May be we could meet up and have chat about it, Tony from the above post could also be interested.

:D
  • Hi Paul,

September should be OK for me and we should still have some good weather, fingers crossed.

Meeting up to talk it over would be a good idea, perhaps when the book arrives so we have some info on hand?

James
  • mounty
    Sounds like a plan James, be in touch soon...
  • puddle-rider
    puddle-rider Posts: 295
    I'm doing this myself on the 5th and 6th July, going for the two day option but taking the flatter route, Whitehaven up to Solith and then along Hadrians Cycleway to South Shields, aiming to do hundred miles :shock: the first day and the balance 70 or so the second day.
    I'll let you know how I got on :D
  • Giggsmaster
    Giggsmaster Posts: 632
    Which C2C are you looking at doing? Is it the one which starts at St Bees and finishes in Robin Hoods Bay?

If so, thats the one we did this time last year. It is tough in places depending on the fitness. I don't class myself as a fitness freak but I'm not unfit... We took four days to complete, with Sherpa Van Company transferring our lugagge.

Some of the days we were in the saddle for up to 8-10 hours, if I were to do it again I would do it over 5-6 days. We always seemed to be looking at our watches and how many miles were left rather than enjoying the scenery....

But, it is a great ride, which I loved every minute of it. Apart from the boggy section around Tan Hill that is.... :lol:
  • mounty
    Good luck puddle rider and let us know how you get on ! :-)

Giggsmaster, not sure on which route yet, ordered the c2c book and will take it from there, as you can see from the post I am looking for other riders as I dont want to do it solo.

You have said what I was thinking..... about time & distance, as I want to enjoy it rather than keeping my head down and the cranks spinning, enjoyment is a big part of it in my opinion.....
  • mounty
    Book seems to be out of stock in a few places, still on back order, but from what I have read about book reviews, it seems to be more about promoting local business & services etc rather than the route itself....
  • There's loads of information available on the web anyway so I don't think it will matter either way. :D
  • mounty
    I think the book would only repeat what's readily available on the web, I only ordered one as its easier for me to read than looking at a screen. :-)

Let me know when you would be free to meet up for a chat about the c2c....
  • How about next weekend 25/26th?
  • mounty
    James, just sent you a PM.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Hiya, I'd be interested in this too, I was hoping to do it this year through a local club but missed out due to it being overbooked.
  • mounty
    Bluechair - where are you based ?

Just sent you a PM.
  • bluechair84
    Ok, to all and sundry;
    I'm Newark based, not very fit atm as I've not been riding for a few months, will be back on the bike over the next few weeks and ready to train for some challenges!
    I'm away 24th - 30th (riding in the Alps) so the best thing for me would be an August ride - if this isn't the right time slot for you guys, go ahead without me. Otherwise, I'm very up for the C2C :o
  • badflaw
    badflaw Posts: 32
    helllo . ive spent the last six months being a roadie. training and cmpleting JOGLE. desperate to get on my mtb. so up for this of the date is right

is anyone ding trans wales?
  • mounty
    Time is running out, so we now have the following dates booked for the 2011 c2c;

Two of us are definate, with a couple of may be's....

Sunday 21st Aug – arrive Whitehaven & camp
    Monday 22nd – ride to Penrith
    Tuesday 23rd – ride to Rookhope
    Wednesday 24th – ride to Sunderland. (return home or optional stay another night).

Two of us are definate riders, with a couple of may be's....plus 2 in a support vehicle.

If anyone wants to join in, then feel free to get in touch....
  • stumpym4
    stumpym4 Posts: 216
    Im already off work last week July , first week of August so dont think my new employer will be too happy if i have more time off in august :( ....
    all i can say is have a good un :D
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    On One 853 single speed
    Pinnacle Arkose 2 - cross bike
    Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus - Bike packing bike
    Cube attain GTC Pro road bike - more relaxed road bike
    Giant scr1 road bike
  • bluechair84
    mounty wrote:
    Time is running out, so we now have the following dates booked for the 2011 c2c;

Two of us are definate, with a couple of may be's....

Sunday 21st Aug – arrive Whitehaven & camp
    Monday 22nd – ride to Penrith
    Tuesday 23rd – ride to Rookhope
    Wednesday 24th – ride to Sunderland. (return home or optional stay another night).

Two of us are definate riders, with a couple of may be's....plus 2 in a support vehicle.

If anyone wants to join in, then feel free to get in touch....

Definately interested - I'll check the family calander tonight (ask for permission from the misses) but holiday time isn't a problem. Getting fit might be.

Have you plans for a support vehicle or is it a ride with everything kind of travel? And if you're riding with everything - are you doing a proper off-road C2C or touring on skinnies and panniers?
  • mounty
    Hi bluechair.

We have a support vehicle (2 ladies) to carry tent, bags etc from camp site to site.

Jim8888 & I are both riding HT mtb's, that way we will have the option to do both on/off road, depending on how we feel on the day....

My brother in law & his mate are also interested, but they are a bit unreliable.......

Fitness wise.....we wont be riding hard, as we want to enjoy the scenery & route etc.

Let us know how you get on......
  • bluechair84
    ok cool, I have an HT but I'd far far far rather do it on the full suss and enjoy the descents.
  • mounty
    Bluechair - Have you checked the dates out with your other half yet? ;-)
  • bluechair84
    mounty wrote:
    Bluechair - Have you checked the dates out with your other half yet? ;-)

Not yet :?
  • bluechair84
    Yes put me down - we haven't filled that week with anything yet and we want to be up in the Lakes this summer so I'll map the two together 8)
  • mounty
    Yes put me down - we haven't filled that week with anything yet and we want to be up in the Lakes this summer so I'll map the two together

Nice one.....just sent you a PM :-)