Toe-Down

Workinonit
Workinonit Posts: 7
During a recent bike fit I was told I pedal toe-down, they asked if my calves cramp when riding, which they do, sometimes after just 30 mins.

At first I thought the cramping was electrolyte related but I am now sure this is not the case.

They said my saddle is the correct height and to avoid the cramping I need to adjust my pedalling technique.

Any tips on how to do this? Unless I concentrate on it constantly I immediately revert back to pedal-down.

Thanks,

Comments

• Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    do you have cycling shoes and are you attached to your pedals? If you are I'd suggest getting back to non-clipped pedals as this will make it difficult to pedal toe down. Then when you can pedal using the ball of your foot to transfer the power you can go back to your clip ons.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    There is no other way to do it but to concentrate on it until it becomes natural.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    I'm surprised that the position adjustments they've made haven't led to your pedal action becoming less toe-down.

During a bike fit I was identified as having a similar problem, but the position changes (seat moved further back and lower, and cleats moved forward) fixed this.
  • The point of them saying you pedal toe down to me is irrelevant as every cyclist is different and there is not a right way or wrong pedalling technique . Armstrong pedalled toe down , mercx toe up .....both TDF wiiners for example .We all have unique biomechanics that our bodies have developed , im no bike fitter but could /should they have adjusted your saddle height / fore aft to suit your technique instead ???

It sounds like your accumaltaing latic acid due to your calve muscles being constantly switched on therefore causing muscle fatigue/ damage.

You could try single leg drills and try to concentrate on pulling your toes up on the up stroke but personally Id think you ll be struggling to re educate your body to pedal another way ; at light loads maybe but as soon as soon as go to heavy load you ll resort back to the original technique as this is what feels more natural to you despite the cramping.

Did the bike fitter give you any advice / recommendations to try out ?
  • Thanks for replies, the bike fitter did say for some people it causes no problems but others may get cramping or Achilles damage and suggested trying to keep my feet parallel to the ground while pedalling.

I think I will make an effort to change my pedalling technique, if this does not work I will try adjusting my saddle.

Cheers!
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    It's a personal thing, some do some don't. Watch Phillipe Gilbert on the telly he is a toe down merchant and it does not seem to do him any harm!
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Workinonit wrote:
    I think I will make an effort to change my pedalling technique

No need mate. Just pedal how it feels naturally. Once everything is set up correctly on your bike the only thing you need to focus on is doing lots and lots of cycling and forget about any technique you think you should be doing.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Personally I think it is a bike fit issue and your fitter should have corrected for it. You shouldnt' be feeling pressure in your calves. I'm getting this at the minute and its due entirely to my poor cleat alignment on that leg and the other leg has pressure in the quads. 2 1/2 years of riding this position and the fact that I've just changed cleats tells me that this is where the problem lies. I am toes down also and never suffered from calf cramp hence my scepticism.