What type of training do I need to do?

morstar
morstar Posts: 6,190
I am no great shakes as a TTer and am not looking for the secret to being a great TTer but I do have a question that you guys can hopefully help me with following my morning ride today.

I went out to do a fairly hard and mainly flat 25 miles today complete with tri-bars as a bit of TT specific training. Managed to average the tiniest smidge over 20 mph average which was my target and I work on the ssumption that with a number on my back in an actual TT I could trim 5 (maybe 10 with a more amenable course) minutes off this. (Clearly not record breaking territory).

My riding has been all over the place (unstructured, not high mileage) and two weeks ago I realised my fitness was dipping quite dramatically. Todays ride was really positive after two weeks of much more consistent riding. The curious point for me today was that while I think I had my gearing right pretty much throughout the ride, aerobically I was not particularly stretched at all.

This leads me to believe that if I can tap into my full aerobic capacity, I can go quite a bit faster, however, to push myself harder aerobically today, I simply would have experienced localised fatigue in my legs. They are simply not strong enough to go much faster (at the moment).

So, the question, for the time pressed cyclist, what is the best approach to building up leg strength? I'm guessing hill intervals and climbing in higher gears to build strength. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Todays ride.

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/Morstar/9ktf0incsc1so551

Elevations are little overstated as my GPS is very generous.

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I think you're mixing a lot of different terms in your analysis. Aerobic ability and strength are quite different parameters, and you've missed off your body's loss of performance due to fatigue.

For a TT at around 25 minutes, you need to be able to produce the highest average power you can for around 25 minutes. If I were you (assuming you don't have a Heart Rate Monitor or any power measuring device) I'd focus on 20-25 minute TT-style workouts. Focus on pacing (not going off too fast at the start) and finishing strong (you need to feel really knackered at the end to make sure you're forcing your body to adapt to your training). If you're training light and planning to go harder on the day you aren't training hard enough. Ideally do 2 of these intervals, separated by a 10 min rest interval.

If you have a preferred course you can use that to gauge improvements, and make sure it's circular to remove the effect of the wind.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    morstar wrote:
    This leads me to believe that if I can tap into my full aerobic capacity, I can go quite a bit faster, however, to push myself harder aerobically today, I simply would have experienced localised fatigue in my legs. They are simply not strong enough to go much faster (at the moment).

So, the question, for the time pressed cyclist, what is the best approach to building up leg strength? I'm guessing hill intervals and climbing in higher gears to build strength. Any suggestions gratefully received.

That's the wrong question - it's not leg strength that's limiting you. See GiantMike's answer.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Having a decent aerobic base (some nice long aerobic rides over a couple of months) to build upon is very important (IMO).

Once you have a decent aerobic base, then you can start to work on shorter, harder intervals to build speed.

My coach has me doing overgeared tempo sessions to build leg strength (although I am currently training for 50 mile TT's), but, for short TT's like 10's and 25's, you can't beat some hard 5 x 5 or 2 x 20 interval sessions.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Sometimes you will ride, and you will be breathing out of your a*se, but your legs might feel OK, other times it is the other way around.

As Danowat says, hard tempo rides are a good form of training, they don't need to be overgeared though, I can put out the same power in the same chain ring as the large chainring, just need to pedal faster to do so. Overgeared rides just make you pedal slower IMO. Find your ideal cadence and push hard on the pedals, without a HRM or power measuring device, it will be hard to judge the right pace, but 2 hours should be a hard workout.

For shorter distances try the 4x 5 mins at over 10 pace, if you want to think about 10's, or to help increase threshold power think about 2 x 20 mins at 25 mile TT pace, or slightly above it if you can manage this.

This will take time however and don't expect instant improvement. I would keep doing the endurance rides though, you need this as a base for the more intense stuff if you want to perform the best you can.

I think regular training is the key as well, even if you only have an hour a day available to you. Train to a plan and you will get better. if you only have a short time, make a session harder within reason, and don't forget you still need time to recover from training so make sure rest days are scheduled in. If on limited hours you can probably get away with just one day a week for example, but only you know how you are feeling so rest when you can't complete a session as well.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Thanks folks, all good food for thought.

I think one mental block that I have recently got over is timing every ride with a view to going as fast as possible. I've always known this is daft but probably carried on doing it because I had no clear goals. Now that I'm TTing and have just completed my first crit' I am actually becoming a bit more outcome oriented.