Cuddles

2»

Comments

• wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Pokerface wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    Cadel Evans will never win the tour. He will turn himself inside out to come 5th or something and in the process will ruin any chances he might have had in the vuelta. He should forget the tour, that ship has sailed and concentrate on the giro or vuelta, the latter has actually has a chance of winning.

Yeah - but pretty much every rider has no chance of beating Contador. Should all GC contenders simply skip the Tour and focus on the Giro/Vuelta instead?

When they have been banging their head against a brick wall for years then yes. The reality is he is just not good enough. He can't beat AC no shame there but he can't beat Schleck, Basso probably VdB and Gesink too. Hell I even fancy CVdV against evans.
    The defining moment came in 2008 he had it on a plate and was beaten by Sastre.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    wicked wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    Cadel Evans will never win the tour. He will turn himself inside out to come 5th or something and in the process will ruin any chances he might have had in the vuelta. He should forget the tour, that ship has sailed and concentrate on the giro or vuelta, the latter has actually has a chance of winning.

Yeah - but pretty much every rider has no chance of beating Contador. Should all GC contenders simply skip the Tour and focus on the Giro/Vuelta instead?

When they have been banging their head against a brick wall for years then yes. The reality is he is just not good enough. He can't beat AC no shame there but he can't beat Schleck, Basso probably VdB and Gesink too. Hell I even fancy CVdV against evans.

If I remember rightly sastre CSC had both schlecks to mark evans on that day. Hardly having the tour on a plate!
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    wicked wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    wicked wrote:

If I remember rightly sastre CSC had both schlecks to mark evans on that day. Hardly having the tour on a plate!

Quite correct. It's a plate relative to the lack of an outstanding favourite that year.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Ive got a few quid on him, reckon he's the best punt. (If Conty races, Conty will win, but his odds are not worth bothering with)
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    JonGinge wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

And the sad reality is coming 5'th in the French race is worth more than winning the Vuelta.

To who? The riders? I can tell you who won the Vuelta last year. I can't tell you who came 5th in the Tour (or even 3rd for that matter!)
    That's coz it was Denny Menchov, the silent killer :lol:

The Ghost. No wonder they call him that when I can't even remember him being on the podium, let alone in the race! :oops:
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    domhopson wrote:
    Ok, so I've read a couple of articles with Cuddles, but does anybody actually think he has a genuine chance to win yellow on 24th July? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him get something out of Le Tour this year, and yes he won the rainbow jersey (did it proud). but is he a serious contender?

No.

And I don't get why everyone likes him so much either. Anyone care to explain?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960

And I don't get why everyone likes him so much either. Anyone care to explain?

Because of this:

Evans_Stg7.jpg
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    He won a stage that was a bit mucky? Chapeau

:shock:
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I can't speak for everyone but I used to think he was a bit of a whingeing, wheelsucking tw@t. However, over the last 2 or 3 seasons he seems to have taken a more gutsy approach in his riding. He "manned up" when he won the rainbow jersey and instead of sitting pretty in the peleton got out there and gave it a go.

If he continues to ride in that vein I would be quite happy to see him win the Tour.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

So you've not seen the single days best racing of the last 10 years then? You should seek it out, you might learn something.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:

So you've not seen the single days best racing of the last 10 years then? You should seek it out, you might learn something.

Iain, whilst I agree with what you say it does sound a bit like something Frenchfighter would say.

I was doing the Fight Club sufferfest video on Sunday, which features Evan's WC winning move...i'd challenge anybody not to have respect for the man for that. I do think that something clicked in his brain that day, I know he'd won races before but he now looks and acts like somebody who can win races.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707

I guess you weren't impressed. What/who do you rate and why?

A lot of people thought of him as merely a whiney, big gear-grinding nearly man*, but that changed with his perfectly timed 2009 WC ride. Fans felt he honoured the rainbow jersey last year in a way that hadn't happened for some time, including Flèche Wallonne, dishing out the pain in the Giro (no cakewalk), and riding with a fractured elbow in the Tour. Most of us wouldn't want to even sit on a bike with a broken elbow, never mind ride one of the hardest mountain stages of the Tour de France! He's not a robot, and he wears his heart on his sleeve.

I don't do hero worship, but of all the pro riders in the last couple of years his efforts are some of the ones I've appreciated the most.

* and of course winning is everything. It's why we all love Bertie and Lance, right?
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Salsiccia
    Salsiccia Posts: 405
    I can't speak for everyone but I used to think he was a bit of a whingeing, wheelsucking tw@t. However, over the last 2 or 3 seasons he seems to have taken a more gutsy approach in his riding. He "manned up" when he won the rainbow jersey and instead of sitting pretty in the peloton got out there and gave it a go.

If he continues to ride in that vein I would be quite happy to see him win the Tour.

What he said. Wore the rainbow stripes with so much panache. And the strade bianchi stage of the Giro last year was the best day's racing for years, and he had the balls and strength to win it.
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • Yep, seeing his tearful interview during last year's TDF where he basically apologised for letting everyone down after injury took its toll - give me cyclists with a human side any day.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I've said before that I think he's the only serious GC contender who I think could do well at Paris Roubaix. Shame we'll never see him try.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)