Cuddles

domhopson
domhopson Posts: 259
edited June 2011 in Pro race
Ok, so I've read a couple of articles with Cuddles, but does anybody actually think he has a genuine chance to win yellow on 24th July? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him get something out of Le Tour this year, and yes he won the rainbow jersey (did it proud). but is he a serious contender?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Probably not, but I see him as one of six riders who could conceivably win (along with Contador, Schleck, Basso, Gesink and Sanchez).

Personally, I'd love to him win.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    If Contador rides then i'd say no (because I don't think anybody does), but if he doesn't then i'd say he has a real chance alongside Schleck and Basso.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    If he can't win a Tour with 70 something kilometres of TTing then I think it'll be tough winning a Tour with some 43 or so.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    i dont think he ever will, but i love watching him try.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd love to see it but don't think I ever will :(

He was a tremendous world champ last year.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    As someone who has returned to watching the TDF (and other races) after a gap of 20 odd years I don't know all the history.

I have got the impression that Evans is a clean racer competing against dopers and doesn't stand a chance. I've heard and read interviews where he hints as much.

Fair comment?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    As someone who has returned to watching the TDF (and other races) after a gap of 20 odd years I don't know all the history.

I have got the impression that Evans is a clean racer competing against dopers and doesn't stand a chance. I've heard and read interviews where he hints as much.

Fair comment?

Well....

Is Evans clean? Well he enjoys are good reputation in that area
    Are all the others dopers? Well we don't really know
    Does this mean he has no chance? Certainly not. He's come second twice
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    i don't think he can match the real big guns on the real big hills, would like to see him do it because he's such an aggressive rider.

tbh though i'm starting to get a bit sick of every thread being turned into who is/ isn't doping.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • inkyfingers
    gsk82 wrote:
    i don't think he can match the real big guns on the real big hills, would like to see him do it because he's such an aggressive rider.

Whilst in the last few years Evans has really seemed excel on short sharp climbs he's always been pretty good in the high mountains too. Lets not forget that he stayed with Basso longer than anybody else on the Zoncolan last year, despite the fact that he was clearly overgeared and Basso was flying.

He couldn't win if Contador turns up in form, but I can see him beating Schleck if he plays his cards right and goes to the tour in peak form.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 wrote:

Whilst in the last few years Evans has really seemed excel on short sharp climbs he's always been pretty good in the high mountains too. Lets not forget that he stayed with Basso longer than anybody else on the Zoncolan last year, despite the fact that he was clearly overgeared and Basso was flying.

He couldn't win if Contador turns up in form, but I can see him beating Schleck if he plays his cards right and goes to the tour in peak form.

thats exactly what i mean, he almost stayed with basso who, if they were there, would've almost stayed with schleck and contador.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Anonymous
    He almost stayed with basso whilst suffering a broken elbow...
  • gsk82
    NapoleonD wrote:
    He almost stayed with basso whilst suffering a broken elbow...

was that not in the tour?
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Almost isn't enough, No chance, which is a shame.
  • inkyfingers
    gsk82 wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

thats exactly what i mean, he almost stayed with basso who, if they were there, would've almost stayed with schleck and contador.

A fair point, but there are no climbs like that in the tour and on that day Basso was flying and Evans was fading (having peaked too early for the Giro). I did say above that he has no chance against an in form Contador, but it's not impossible for him to beat Schleck if he's smart and can minimise his losses in the mountains as unlike Contador, Schleck isn't a great TTer. Evans should have won the tour in '08, he didn't because he has a weak team and tactically he made mistakes plus of course CSC/Saxo played a blinder having Schleck Snr in yello then sending Sastre off up the road.

I'm not saying that Cadel will win the tour, just that he could, given good form, some luck and good tactical decisions.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I wasn't always a fan but am starting to warm to Evans. He might not win but he will give a jolly good try whatever.
    Anyway, anything could happen - people are always so sure they know who's going to win - but nothing'll be settled until Paris.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    Cuddles?
  • dougzz
    Ms Tree wrote:
    I wasn't always a fan but am starting to warm to Evans. He might not win but he will give a jolly good try whatever.
    Anyway, anything could happen - people are always so sure they know who's going to win - but nothing'll be settled until Paris.

Is CAS moving ;)
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    RowCycle wrote:
    Cuddles?

From the way he held tightly to his Credit Lyonnais lion when he was in Yellow in the Tour in 2008
  • Anonymous
    My bad, elbow was the tour, illness in the giro. Knew there was some ailment!
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    gsk82 wrote:

Don't times change :lol:
  • dougzz
    I guess one man's aggression is another's wheel sucking, such is life huh.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Times change and so do our perception of riders. That one, massive, attack at the World Championship changed many peoples opinion of Mr Evans. It must be truly desparate to be riding clean when so many of your competitors have been so carefully prepared.

Cadel Evans seems a man of high integrity and a great cyclist IMO.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Genuinely didn't like Evans much - thought he came across as petulant and brattish and wasn't the sort of rider that anyone would point at and go - wow.

My wife once came in and saw Evans going backwards on a hill and said "Evans is rubbish isn't he?" and I was inclined to agree.

Then last year, I thought he lit up in the WC jersey - easily the best WC for a while and i am completely converted - to the point that I would love him to win the TdF. Won't happen, but he could easily top 5.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    dougzz wrote:
    I guess one man's aggression is another's wheel sucking, such is life huh.

I guess one man's wheel sucking is another's just hanging on...
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Cadel Evans will never win the tour. He will turn himself inside out to come 5th or something and in the process will ruin any chances he might have had in the vuelta. He should forget the tour, that ship has sailed and concentrate on the giro or vuelta, the latter has actually has a chance of winning.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • RichN95.
    wicked wrote:
    Cadel Evans will never win the tour. He will turn himself inside out to come 5th or something and in the process will ruin any chances he might have had in the vuelta. He should forget the tour, that ship has sailed and concentrate on the giro or vuelta, the latter has actually has a chance of winning.

He's not paid huge amounts of money by BMC to skip the Tour.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    wicked wrote:

Yeah - but pretty much every rider has no chance of beating Contador. Should all GC contenders simply skip the Tour and focus on the Giro/Vuelta instead?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    wicked wrote:

Yeah, I mean, coming second twice doesn't mean anything.

And the sad reality is coming 5'th in the French race is worth more than winning the Vuelta.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    iainf72 wrote:

And the sad reality is coming 5'th in the French race is worth more than winning the Vuelta.

To who? The riders? I can tell you who won the Vuelta last year. I can't tell you who came 5th in the Tour (or even 3rd for that matter!)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Pokerface wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

To who? The riders? I can tell you who won the Vuelta last year. I can't tell you who came 5th in the Tour (or even 3rd for that matter!)
    That's coz it was Denny Menchov, the silent killer :lol:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides