Please dress appropriately for your age

jeremyrundle
jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
This WILL upset people.

At 50 plus, thinning on top and overweight I dress so as not to scare people, but boy has summer arrived, not only are we forced to listen to the morons in old bangers with loud cheap stereos, but the 1960s bunch have emerged.

The women who still think they can wear sunglasses "up" on their heads to look "cool" and dress as they did before their looks gave way to wrinkles that poly filler couldn't help and chests that are lower than a basset dogs ears :( .

As for medallion man, with his fading tattoos that looked terrible even before they faded to muddy browns and blacks (or is that just years of smoking and no sun cream :wink: ), new trainers and white sports socks!, and beer gut over his five sizes too small shorts, PLEASE, go in doors and especially don't ride a bike.
Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    Keep up the good work JR
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    That's a warm feel good kind of post

Nice
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Certainly hasn't upset me. But then again, I'm only 32, slim, fit healthy and can still get away with looking cool. So, all good here. 8)
  • At 55+ I wear lycra to frighten young schoolgirls :twisted:

Until all fat and old people are forced to wear the burka and long, black loosely-fitting robes, I advise dressing appropriately for the temperature.
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    As much as I may agree with the op. You have to let people have the freedom to be and wear what that want to.

It may also be a more boring world if the local high street didn't have these people parading up and down. My local tesco as a couple who shop on a Saturday morning in their 70's. He looks like he fell into a bottle of hair dye and she is dressed like a 30 something. All entertaining and add colour to life.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    The problem is J R, when people keep checking with you that they are 'presentable', there will be no time for you to ride.

Relax, they are not worth it.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Why does this title remind me of "flight of the Conchords"?

"be more constructive with your feedback please"

about 1.28 in - but the whole thing is worth watching....
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    You do sometimes get to hear a good choon coming out of old bangers... sometimes! :P
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I'm 64 and wear lycra and baggies - if you don't like it you know what to do 8)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    No.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    rebs wrote:
    You do sometimes get to hear a good choon coming out of old bangers... sometimes! :P

theres plenty of nice old bangers ;)
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • I'm 64 and wear lycra and baggies - if you don't like it you know what to do 8)

Silver solidarity! Damn youngsters coming along and telling us what appropriate clothes we should be wearing! :lol:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Sketchley wrote:
    No.

We're not at home to Mr Windup :wink:
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    If you're young enough to worry what people think of your clothes then dress appropriately otherwise wear what you want. Seriously, WGAF?
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    rebs wrote:

Tina Turner?
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I'm 53, hair going grey and perhaps receding a bit, but I'm slimmer and fitter than I've ever been and look awesome.
    And I'll wear what I ruddy well like.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Feck it, what would we have to laugh at if there weren't bloaters desperately trying to burn off some calories on a badly set up bike that makes them look fat and stupid.

o_O
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Sounds like the height of fashion round your way. 50+ must be pretty young by Tavi standards :P
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    dondare wrote:
    I'm 53, hair going grey and perhaps receding a bit, but I'm slimmer and fitter than I've ever been and look awesome.
    And I'll wear what I ruddy well like.
    +1 on all points :)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Another Jeremy classic.
  • Jeremy must have too much time on his hands if he's worrying about what everyone else is doing, some of us on the other hand have to graft and so don't give a monkeys.
    live and let live i say unless youre in my way.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    notsoblue wrote:
    Another Jeremy classic.

I heard from someone on a certain FGSS site that's he's a total cunt, but hey this is BR and were all about inclusion n shite
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    itboffin wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Another Jeremy classic.

I heard from someone on a certain FGSS site that's he's a total ****, but hey this is BR and were all about inclusion n shite

I'm liking the sound of this FGSS place you speak of. Jeremy is a complete bell-end.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Just as an aside. What is it with "Jeremys" that seem to attract such widespread derision?

We have:-
    Clarkson
    Paxman
    Kyle
    Beedle (Dead but still counts.)
    And now. Rundle

Just a thought. Graham.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    itboffin wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Another Jeremy classic.

I heard from someone on a certain FGSS site that's he's a total ****, but hey this is BR and were all about inclusion n shite

Please remember I am not the ONLY Jeremy in the country and don't even know what a FGSS is.

However I do admit that I am an HONEST outspoken Sagittarian self opinionated MCP.

And what by the way has B ritish R ail to do with it!, thought they had gone :twisted:

regards
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    FGSS - Fixed Gear and Single Speed forum

I guess your not after this years Mr Congeniality award JR - although for those of our age JR seems fitting somehow, you know, know your always right and hang everyone elses feelings.......

Mid 40's, wear baggies as they make me look good, but I'll wear Lycra if you tell me where to find you!

As I work on a Uni campus I'm all for more of the young ladies wearing (less) clothing appropriate to their age.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    There's too much misery in the world. If wearing something makes someone happy let them wear it.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    My 58 year old mate wears Lycra - he's a big chap too - he describes it as 'Trying to squeeze toothpaste back into the tube' - nice image!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    On the contrary, if your happy to look daft, a bike is the perfect place to be :wink: