Marmotte - How slow can you go on climbs and still make it?

timmyflash
timmyflash Posts: 526
Largely a moot point as i'm entered and will simply do my best, BUT - did my first ever mountain climbs last week in Italy. As my first time i just took it easy, popped it into the easiest gear and trundled up. Most of the time when i looked down at speedo it read approx 6mph.

Essentially, is this ok to make it to the bottom of the Alpe before the cutoff?

My planned tactic is just to take it very easy all the way, then if any extra reserves by the time i get to the bottom of the Alpe (unlikely), up the effort.

Here's some stats from ride to give you an idea of slowness:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/89066632

The trip gave me confidence that i can climb mountains, but not that i could do it much faster without expending a lot more energy.
Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh

Comments

• ded
    ded Posts: 120
    timmyflash wrote:
    As my first time i just took it easy, popped it into the easiest gear and trundled up. Most of the time when i looked down at speedo it read approx 6mph.
    6mph = 10km/h, more or less. I climbed the Alpe d'Huez at pretty much 10km/h at the end of the Marmotte and I got a gold, so I reckon you don't have to worry toooo much, as long as you don't dawdle too much on the flat(ter) bits! Twiddling is definitely better than grinding on the Marmotte.

I think my approximate speeds climbing would be about 12km/h on the Telégraphe (took almost exactly an hour), fractionally under 12km/h on the Galibier. Glandon I don't know - 18km/h to the top but that includes the flat bits at the start and the downhill bit in the middle!

Short answer - yes I think you'll be fine! maybe I'll see you there - I'll be trying to bump up those speeds....
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    6mph on AdH is fine

I rode the Telegraph/Galibier at 6-8mph and Adh at 5-7mph and was under 9 hours in total.

Telegraph was about a hour (like ded) and the Galibier was 1 1/2hrs, and AdH was 1 hr 20mins.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    great to see such a positive outlook for the event
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    See you there.

Have you downloaded the timing splits from the Sportscommunication Website? I've built a little spreadsheet with them showing the average times and speeds, but to be honest I have just no idea how I will feel seventy miles in, half way up the Galibier.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I have just no idea how I will feel seventy miles in, half way up the Galibier.

It's the bottom of AdH that the big realisation occurs :wink:

If you've got some fitness/endurance then you can grind it over the Galibier but AdH is where you'll know if you've really got enough.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • You are obvious fit seeings you avg HR was pretty low for the ride, looks like you would have plenty in the tank for the marmotte
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    You are obvious fit seeings you avg HR was pretty low for the ride, looks like you would have plenty in the tank for the marmotte

Not sure how you work that one out as HR is a personalthing and very variable.
    For most of my rides I am between 100 and 130 and when racing 155 at most so by your definaition I am super fit ? :D
    For a lone ride I would not get anywhere near 141 av heart rate.
    His max was also 185 which is not high so maybe his hr is generally low including at rest.
    My max is about 175 on road though on track I have done that for whole race as hr is generally higher on track compared to road.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    By the way to the OP, you will be fine just try to enjoy it lol :D
  • renrag1967
    renrag1967 Posts: 17
    Im not aware of a cutoff @ the bottom of L'Alpe Duez in LaMarmotte. (Ive done the event the last 4 years).

I agree with Maddog's comment re realisation, bottom, L'Alpe Duez! you think you have recovered coming down from Galibier hit the first ramp and booommmmm.. its all great fun tho!

g.
    Don't call me Shirley..
  • You are obvious fit seeings you avg HR was pretty low for the ride, looks like you would have plenty in the tank for the marmotte

Not sure how you work that one out as HR is a personalthing and very variable.
    For most of my rides I am between 100 and 130 and when racing 155 at most so by your definaition I am super fit ? :D
    For a lone ride I would not get anywhere near 141 av heart rate.
    His max was also 185 which is not high so maybe his hr is generally low including at rest.
    My max is about 175 on road though on track I have done that for whole race as hr is generally higher on track compared to road.

I know HRs are extremely variable, however avg HR vs max is comparable. Just seemed he was riding within himself at 69%
  • malcolmfrost
    malcolmfrost Posts: 211
    Im not aware of a cutoff @ the bottom of L'Alpe Duez in LaMarmotte. (Ive done the event the last 4 years).
    There was one at 18:30, where they took your timing chip, nothing to stop you carrying on if you want though, I couldn't!!
  • timmyflash
    timmyflash Posts: 526
    Cheers for all the replies. As i said, i'll just be doing my best, but it's good to know that i shouldn't be disheartened by what seemed like a slow speed.

As for HR, i never really go off that at all, but from feel, i was always trying to ride the one on the link within a relatively easy effort. Well, that's how i remember it in hindsight...

Good luck all. I am mulling over a 'no drinking' rule in the lead up. Save the toughest test till last ;-)
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • malcolmfrost
    malcolmfrost Posts: 211
    Just to add that I was camping next to an 80 yr old with a triple who I passed in the first 5 miles on the Glandon, but he completed. Tortoise and hare!!
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    alanp23 wrote:
    See you there.

Have you downloaded the timing splits from the Sportscommunication Website? I've built a little spreadsheet with them showing the average times and speeds, but to be honest I have just no idea how I will feel seventy miles in, half way up the Galibier.

Where are these timing splits on the website? Can you post a link?
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    I averaged under 6mph on the Alpe (about 5.7) and got gold. Did the other climbs quite a bit faster and was clinging on by that point - which I think most people were.

Tbh, I wouldn't expect to maintain 6mph after approx 4,000m of climbing. It does strange things to your legs!
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    By the way Djamoladine* - or anyone else - when you say you got 'gold'
    for La Marmotte, does that mean a certificate, a medal or a bag of gold coins like in
    Pirates of the Caribbean? Just curious how much luggage space on should allow
    for return trip.

* yes I can still recall Phil Ligget shouting Abdou's name :oops:
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    its on the SportCommunication website - in the description of the Marmotte- if you hover over on the (+infos) you will see it is hypertext.

Here is the actual link...

http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2 ... ours/1.pdf

I can guess what the Premier time suggests. I am not sure if Dernier is when the expect the last person through on when they close things down. If that is the case, then it doesnt match the description elswhere of removing timing chips around 6.30pm.

Anyway, have a play if you are interested.

Have fun and I might see you there. I'll be wearing my Col de Tourmalet top and hoping to earn a Marmotte top (I am hoping there is some sort of commemorative jersey to be purchased.)
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • Helen C
    Helen C Posts: 14
    Hi does anyone know the different times for the age groups (male and female) for La Marmotte medals? (Although if I get bronze I'll be delighted!)

I am female 46, and my partner is male 58.

preparation info at globalspoke.blogspot.com

Cheers

Helen
  • This link shows the times for silver and gold.
    http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2010/epreuve2.php?langue=1&trophee=128
    I believe that tthese are adjusted times in that they do NOT include the time you take on the Glandon descent.

The categories are:
    Femmes Cat. A : 18-34 ans Cat. AB : 35-49 ans Cat. B : 50 ans et +
    Hommes Cat. C : 18-29 ans Cat. D : 30-39 ans Cat. E : 40-49 ans
    Cat. F : 50-59 ans Cat. G1 : 60- 66 ans Cat. G2 : 67 ans et +
    Autres Cat. H : handisport Cat. T : tandem
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    I believe that tthese are adjusted times in that they do NOT include the time you take on the Glandon descent

That would figure as they're 36 mins less than other times I've seen e.g. here http://www.gastrobiking.com/cyclosportive/marmotte-route.html
  • Helen C
    Thanks Dominic - that means 11 and a half hours of pain for me....
  • Helen C
    :?: Excuse my ignorance, but can anyone explain what is meant by a "scratch" time (or adjusted time) for La Marmotte? And why might this not include the descent of the Galndon, and how it will be different from the time shown on my bike computer.

Thanks

Helen
  • Helen,

For reasons of safety, the organisers decided last year (at the last moment) to neutralise the Glandon descent. They did this by putting a timing mat at the top and bottom so that the descent time was subtracted from the overall time. The standard times were adjusted from the door to door standard times of old to give the times as linked to above. (standard times reduced by 36 mins (gold) and 48 mins (silver) I think)
    Last year, probably because of the late decision, there were a few teething problems - but I hope this year it will be smooth.
    So in theory you could have a picnic on the Glandon descent and not affect your time as measured for the standard for your age.
    It does seem that a lot of people look at the door to door time to guage how they did. So its good to be clear on which time you are referring.

So your 'adjusted' time will be your bike computer time the time you took on the Glandon descent. (you would have to click your computer at the top mat (just before feed station I think) and the bottom mat (just after right turn at end of descent I think).

In your case you are cat AB your 'adjusted' gold time is 9h41 and your 'adjusted' silver time is 11h33. Your total computer time will depend on how long you spent on the picnic :)

Hope this helps
    Dominic
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm Cat D? Get in!! :lol:

With a bit of luck, a gold time might just be achievable, certainly a target.
  • Having said all of that, I can't find anywhere on the sportcommunication.com site that confirms the neutralisation of the Glandon descent - it doesn't mean its not there, I just can't find it.

BUT, the times indicate it is neutralised. For many years they have been at the same level. Last year and this they have been reduced. Infer what you will.

I will be checking the situation at registration.
  • airbusboy
    airbusboy Posts: 231
    So all i need to do is average 13mph for 8.5hrs.... lovely. :shock:
    'Ride hard for those who can't.....'
  • Helen C
    Dominic, thanks for the explanation. It woudl seem to make sense given the Glandon descent is tricky. I'll pack my sandwiches...
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    So I need 9h47 for silver! They've obviously never seen me ride.

After 11h30 for the Nove Colli the other week, I think a 13 hour target is tough enough.

..... 13 hours on a bicycle .... why, why why??
    exercise.png
  • Eboue27
    Eboue27 Posts: 6
    Hi. I was slower than that (much slower up ADH) and got a time still. Courage!
  • bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    I'm not going to be quick either - do any of you guys fancy trying to meet up and ride as a group - morale support, etc?

I'll be out there from Monday 27th so will be going for a few rides in the area during the week - happy to meet up with others on here for some of those rides too.