Broken metatarsals!

surreychris
surreychris Posts: 51
Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately I had an accident last week that resulted in three broken metatarsals in my left foot.

I am wearing a moon boot and have been told I can walk on it within a couple of weeks as soon as i can do so without pain. I didn't ask at the hospital about cycling so wondered if anyone here might know? Im desperate to do something, even on the turbo!

I'm expecting the answer to be no, but thought I'd ask!

Also after a long (8 week) lay off, any tips to get back into fitness, or anything i can do with a cast?

Thanks Guys

Comments

• micken
    micken Posts: 275
    I had two broken metatarsals in my right foot last year, the middle and the one to the right of it were broken at the head of the bone at the equivalent to the knuckle joint. I did it whilst gully scrambling and because I was in cold water it didn't hurt too much at the time.

The foot was put in plaster the following week and then fully rested for three weeks like that. The cast was taken off the day before I drove to Belgium for a two week holiday. I did a little walking and some cycling but it wasn't particularly pain free. Hills were tough.

In retrospect I'd do some light spinning on a turbo asap but with the foot very well supported. The outcome was that I became determined to recoup lost time on the bike and this year I'm already about 1/2 stone lighter than I was at this point last year.

All the best with your recovery.

btw, how did you get the injury?
  • cool, ta!

I've got 8 weeks in the moon boot to contend with so even some light turbo work would be good!

I was run over, by a Ferrari Race car, that i was steering :oops:

Ive broken 3, in my left foot! And it hurt!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd just do some light spinning, I broke my back and collar bone just less than 3 weeks ago and I'll be doing some light spinning next week. As long as you are supported you'll be ok.
  • I-S
    I-S Posts: 13
    I'd take advice from a doctor. When I fractured my metatarsal it was plated but didn't heal in 8 weeks. The next stage would have been a graft but at about 10 weeks the X ray was better. My understanding is that the blood supply to the foot can be poor - I'm glad I didn't exercise until the X ray showed healing.

Good luck.