Discuss - Fine for cycling on pavement

hstiles
hstiles Posts: 414
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I foolishly thought I'd cut a few minutes off my commute by cycling slowly along the pavement from Wandsworth > Putney (road is closed one way for the next few months whilst transco drag their heels with some gas works)

Anyway, the filth were out in force (7 along a 100 yard stretch) and although I'd been tipped off by a nice passer by and was pushing the bike they pulled me over for a talking to and threat of a £30 fine.

Now, here's the rub. Although a £30 fine was introduced in 1999 for the offence of riding on the pavement, the guidelines from the home office state

“The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required.”

I was cycling slowly, uncleated and stopped to allow pedestrians to pass. So, IMO, I was cycling responsibly.

It's all kind of academic - it didn't save me any time. I just have a dislike for the police, hence the discussion.

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Meh, cyclists should be on the road.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    flamesuit.jpg
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Errr, the guidance is cumulative: responsible cyclists plus consideration to peds; plus fear of traffic.

Why were you afraid of traffic?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    not a fan of the rozzers either and I cycle on the pavement if I fancy too. put that in yer pipe and smoke it 8)

actually got some grief off a dog walker this morning on a 'shared' path (cycle painted on the path) who heard my bell way off and stood in the middle of the path then shouted at me that I "could have slowed down". I called him a tosser and cyled off. The tosser.

The tosser could have moved over, I was covering my brakes, it was uphill and I was doing no more than 10mph as I'd just negotiated a 'chicane'. Next time I'll run the b'stard down and sh1t in his dog's mouth. :lol:
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    Greg66 wrote:

I'm guessing getting splattered on the road :wink:
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    ..sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required.
    See there's the problem. Guidance requires careful use of discretion; Plod sees it as a way to divvy up some fuunds for their forthcoming ball by having a pitch on a bit of pavement. Wrong place wrong time mate. On another day they might well have nicked you for whistling out of tune.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    CiB wrote:
    See there's the problem. Guidance requires careful use of discretion; Plod sees it as a way to divvy up some fuunds for their forthcoming ball by having a pitch on a bit of pavement. Wrong place wrong time mate. On another day they might well have nicked you for whistling out of tune.

Or being in possesion of an offensive wife
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    motopatter wrote:
    not a fan of the rozzers either and I cycle on the pavement if I fancy too. put that in yer pipe and smoke it 8)

actually got some grief off a dog walker this morning on a 'shared' path (cycle painted on the path) who heard my bell way off and stood in the middle of the path then shouted at me that I "could have slowed down". I called him a tosser and cyled off. The tosser.

The tosser could have moved over, I was covering my brakes, it was uphill and I was doing no more than 10mph as I'd just negotiated a 'chicane'. Next time I'll run the b'stard down and sh1t in his dog's mouth. :lol:

That really helps cyclists image - dog walker wasn't the only tosser
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    edited June 2011
    motopatter wrote:

Not a fan of those who ride on the pavement,, but post of the year! :lol:
  • Sheikhus
    Sheikhus Posts: 40
    +1!
    Specialized Secteur - FCN 6
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    It's a bit early for popcorn, but hey!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    **Sits back and waits for the fireworks**
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    I foolishly thought I'd cut a few minutes off my commute by cycling slowly along the pavement from Wandsworth > Putney
    “The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so"

Where's your problem? Your first sentence isn't compatible with the guidelines, you rode on the pavement to save time, not because you were scared.

MTFU.
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    I got a fine a couple of years ago - similar thoughts at the time as the original poster.

Ultimately I realised that I was too comfortable with the route I was taking and changed it so I didn't use the pavement.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    flicksta wrote:
    I foolishly thought I'd cut a few minutes off my commute by cycling slowly along the pavement from Wandsworth > Putney
    “The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so"

Where's your problem? Your first sentence isn't compatible with the guidelines, you rode on the pavement to save time, not because you were scared.

MTFU.
    Surely anyone cycling on the pavement is trying to save time - they could always walk their bikes.
  • snailracer
    CiB wrote:
    The police in this case did apply discretion - the OP didn't get a fine.
  • snailracer
    Greg66 wrote:
    Errr, the guidance is cumulative: responsible cyclists plus consideration to peds; plus fear of traffic.

Having been hit from behind by a bus, I personally recommend you fear traffic.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    I got fined by a plastic bobby who in all accounts was being a c*nt, but I was on a bike, on a pavement so I was in the wrong.

In my case I went up a dropped curb infront of my office's cyclists gate as I dismounted. I can hold no high ground here but I do take a dim view of people using the pavement as a shortcut or a way to avoid traffic and quite often will make a comment to riders.
  • I used to think that cyclists should ride on the road 'as it is the law' & get wound up that pavement cyclists were 'giving the rest of us a bad name' but as soon as I realised that put me in with the grumpy 'I didn't hear that cyclist coming ergo they nearly hit & are a menace' group, I knew I had to have a rethink.

"Cycling on footways (a pavement at the side of a carriageway) is prohibited by Section 72 of the Highway Act 1835, amended by Section 85(1) of the Local Government Act 1888. This is punishable by a fixed penalty notice of £30 under Section 51 and Schedule 3 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988."

This puts it in the same FPN category as other offences such as littering & "unnecessary idling of a stationary vehicle engine", potentially anti-social but not the worst crime known to man.

With the Home Office guidance:
    “The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required.”

Surely the FPN should only be used on someone riding down Oxford Street pavement at lunchtime shouting 'get out of my way'?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i thought that FPN is only if the cyclist is causing a menace to the public or is riding dangerously on the pavement?

not that i ride on the pavement, i use to when i was a nipper though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Surely the FPN should only be used on someone riding down Oxford Street pavement at lunchtime shouting 'get out of my way'?

Pavement cyclists are often cited as a major problem by the kind of people that attend police-community liaison meetings. Police (and PCSO's) have to be seen to be doing something about it. FPN stats are a good metric I guess.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I see the Op's point.

However;

Kids; I don't really care if they ride on the pavement. Safest place for them.

Adults; ride on the road and mix it up with the traffic. You don't see scooters and motorbikes on the pavement and cyclists can use the same tactics that they use to avoid street works.
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    One of the only times I've cycled on a pavement was to avoid going round a round about. The irony is a police car stopped and let me cross (whilst riding) in front of him onto the other side of the road straight onto the pavement.

The incident was early evening and no pedestrians were around. I'd say the police man driving not only used discretion but also used common sense too.

There is definately a time and a place!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I see the Op's point.

However;

Adults; ride on the road and mix it up with the traffic. You don't see scooters and motorbikes on the pavement and cyclists can use the same tactics that they use to avoid street works.

Well, that's not strictly true. I've seen a few pavement hop to get round a line of stationary vehicles as well as blatant RLJing (not the 'just turned red' but 'f*** it, I'm not stopping' kind).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I see the Op's point.

However;

Well, that's not strictly true. I've seen a few pavement hop to get round a line of stationary vehicles as well as blatant RLJing (not the 'just turned red' but 'f*** it, I'm not stopping' kind).

But, yes, ride on the road if you are more than 10 years old.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    What irked me about my fine was this was 20 meters from Oxford St in London with the world and his wife RLJ'ing...

but obviously for the PCSO it was far easier to fine people if you stand next to the cyclist entrance to a building with a dropped curb in front!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Cycling on footways can be antisocial. Particularly when the footway is narrow and there are concealed entrances

However, in the town I work in (Taunton) there are many shared use paths. It is also not clear much of the time where the shared use ends and the path becomes exclusively pedestrian again. I'm sure a lot of people here don't know when they are allowed to ride on the pavement and when it is allowed.

This confusion of the footway with a cyclepath encourages the famous "less confident" rider to get into the habit of riding where the pedestrians are.

Personally speaking I do always try to dismount and push if I am on a footway
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    georgee wrote:
    What irked me about my fine was this was 20 meters from Oxford St in London with the world and his wife RLJ'ing...

but obviously for the PCSO it was far easier to fine people if you stand next to the cyclist entrance to a building with a dropped curb in front!

If its a PCSO, you can just ride off :shock:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    rjsterry wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I see the Op's point.

However;

But, yes, ride on the road if you are more than 10 years old.

Jeez - never seen a scooter or M/C on the pavement!!!! Thats just plain bad!!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Attica wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Or being in possesion of an offensive wife

don't even need to click.

it's winston codogo innit?