Thigh / hip muscle pain?

this is an odd one

It is a dull muscular pain at the top of the thigh, towards the outside where the muscles go up and attach to the hip joint.

The muscle feels tender / painful to the touch as if I've been actually kicked or punched there.

But I'm pretty sure it's some sort of strain or over-use injury from either cycling or running, as I have not suffered any trauma to that area.

The physio's really not sure ... ring any bells for anyone?

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Not a medical person BUT
    could be referred pain from somewhere else, an inflamed hip muscle tendon or perhaps bruising/ inflammation to the actual hip joint or teh sac surrounding it whcih I beleive is called bursitis - quick google gives
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trochanteric_bursitis
    but try another physio perhaps! or a doctor?
  • you know what, that seems quite possible ... thanks.

I shall get a second physio opinion.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I had bursitis after my bike crash in Nov 09 (some idiot drove across in front of me as I was passing straight on through a junction). The impact on my hip caused a lot of bruising and swelling which took a year or so to go down completely. I thought that bursitis was caused by some kind of impact though?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I I thought that bursitis was caused by some kind of impact though?

not according to that wiki entry ....
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    an inflamed hip muscle tendon

This is what happened to me - strain of one of the hip flexors (physio reckoned deep in the hip, at the attachement point - illiacus maybe) referred pain down the thigh.
  • Could be a hairline stress fracture to your femer possibly from running as you state ( Paula Ratcliffe suffered a similar injury) - if all else fails get a xray
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    Try Yoga or pilates to loosen the joints and stretch the tendons and muscles.

But see a Dr first to rule out any injuries.

Weekday mornings are best for A and E, less queueing time.

Good Luck

Xom
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • Sounds like exactly what i have been getting on my last couple of longer rides. Doesn't start until about 40 miles and then it's just a dull ache. More of an inconvenience than enough to make me stop.

Started physio and she has said as my legs muscles are so tense and then get tighter as i ride it's pressing the main nerve down the leg (which is exactly where you are describing the pain). Makes my feet tingle a little bit too. I'd say get yourself to a decent physio and see if they can loosen you up a bit.

Turns out my achilles problem is related to a lower back muscle being very tight and that is pulling all the muscles down my leg tight. After a couple of sessions i seem to be getting better and don't feel the nerve anymore although the muscles are still a little tight.

Hope this helps