Garmin 800 and Powertap ANT+ pairing

Full Merckx
Full Merckx Posts: 143
Thinking of getting a Garmin 800. Have been using the yellow CPU that comes with the powertap. A couple of questions which may be daft but glad of some help.
Does the Garmin 800 pick up cadence from the powertap or do you need a cadence sensor and second can I use my powertap HR monitor (or forerunner 305 HR monitor) with the 800. Looking at the owners manual there are instructions for how to pair the HR monitor but don't know if there is a specific one for an 800 only

Thanks

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Thinking of getting a Garmin 800. Have been using the yellow CPU that comes with the powertap. A couple of questions which may be daft but glad of some help.
    Does the Garmin 800 pick up cadence from the powertap or do you need a cadence sensor and second can I use my powertap HR monitor (or forerunner 305 HR monitor) with the 800. Looking at the owners manual there are instructions for how to pair the HR monitor but don't know if there is a specific one for an 800 only

Yes for the forerunner 305 HR monitor - maybe on the PT one.

Cadence yes.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Full Merckx
    Full Merckx Posts: 143
    Sorry, may be being a bit thick but do I need a cadence sensor if using the powertap hub ?
    Thanks
  • trickydisco
    trickydisco Posts: 173
    I believe the powertap estimates your cadence but in my experience it's not very accurate
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Sorry, may be being a bit thick but do I need a cadence sensor if using the powertap hub ?
    Thanks

No you don't. Cadence from the hub is fine apart from when you're soft pedalling - it becomes very jumpy then and you can get some daft high numbers. But since cadence isn't really that important anyway I prefer to get cadence from the hub instead of fixing the fugly GSC-10 to my bike.
    More problems but still living....