Mixing intervals

Herbsman
Herbsman Posts: 2,029
Two of the interval sesh's I do most are 4 x 6mins and 5 x (5 x 40sec).

Is there really any need to stick to one length of interval? I quite like mixing it up, for example doing one six minute effort, 3-4 mins recovery, then five 40sec efforts (with 20 sec recovery inbetween), 3-4 mins recovery, and repeat.

Is there any evidence to suggest it's better to stick to one length of interval during a session, or that it's better to mix it up? If not... what do pro's do?
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Dunno, but the whole point of doing intervals is (as I understand it) to focus on one energy system and exhaust it, thus providing a large stimulus for adaptation. If you do 50% of each, you may end up just as knackered but without either system being adequately stressed.

I made most of that up, so will defer to anyone who actually knows about this sort of stuff.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Dunno, but the whole point of doing intervals is (as I understand it) to focus on one energy system and exhaust it, thus providing a large stimulus for adaptation. If you do 50% of each, you may end up just as knackered but without either system being adequately stressed.

I made most of that up, so will defer to anyone who actually knows about this sort of stuff.

:lol::lol:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • rock_hopper
    rock_hopper Posts: 129
    I know it's related to MTB but I found this article very interesting.

http://www.xcracer.com/Training-That-Ma ... -Tick.html

I like to try and mix it up and keep it interesting but also sometimes just work on one energy system in a session, say anaerobic intervals. Often after an anaerobic session all I want to do it get off my bike and rest up.
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    I do intervals but i keep the intervals the same in each work out but have different work outs.

I have one where i do 1 mins sprinting and 2 mins rest and i repeat 8 times

I have one where i do 30 sec sprinting and then 1 mins rest repeat 8 times.

But i have never seen anyone advocate changing the intervals mid work out.

Go with what you feel but what you are trying to do is use energy stores form fat and then refuel this and then use it again without entering an anabolic phase which uses muscle reserves.

I would trawl google or you tube for some clarification.

Xom
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • Xommul wrote:
    Go with what you feel but what you are trying to do is use energy stores form fat and then refuel this and then use it again without entering an anabolic phase which uses muscle reserves.
    Er, no. On just about all levels.
  • Herbsman wrote:
    Is there any evidence to suggest it's better to stick to one length of interval during a session, or that it's better to mix it up?
    No, there is no evidence. Nor is there likely to be.
    Herbsman wrote:
    If not... what do pro's do?
    Ride 35,000km per year and race an awful lot.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    35,000km? Is that all?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • fastandfurry
    fastandfurry Posts: 138
    Herbsman wrote:
    35,000km? Is that all?

An average of 100k/day or about 2 1/2 hours training a day. I can't imagine any of that will be noodling along either- that'd be tough.

Alex, I'm interested in why you think there won't be any evidence for varying the length of intervals? "Pyramid" sessions are advocated by quite a few coaches. Personally I find them unsatisfying- I think it's because it's hard to pace my effort so that I'm reaching exhaustion at the end of each one; but I've never found some proof to back up my gut feeling/reasoning...