2 1/4 Hrs on the Turbo.....

redjeepǃ
redjeepǃ Posts: 531
I did 2 1/4 hrs on the turbo last night, longest I'd ever done before was an hour. I feel wrecked even now. When I got off I could hardly walk !

I just got watching Lord of the Rings and ended up doing an hour of ladder type (up a gear for a minute) excercises and then 20 mins at each of 70/75/80 % of max HR. I would have gone on longer but had to go and pick up the kids....

Damn you Lord of the Rings :D

(and before anybody labels me as a Lord of Rings geek, it was the first time I'd seen it).

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Out of interest, why? Long turbos should occur only when it's snowing and you can't get out on the bike.
  • JamieRa
    JamieRa Posts: 82
    I wish i could stay on the turbo for that long!
    i get bored after 1 hour... :(
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    By about the 50 minute mark I'm usually either

a) going blind

b) about to puke

c) unable to transmit any significant force to the pedals

Or all the above.

Basically work harder for less time, meaning I have more time to do enjoyable things like eating, reading and sexing.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • did an 'extended intervals' spin class yesterday morning - effectively a 90-min group turbo sesh

averaged 86% MHR - was a shell of a man last night
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    JamieRa wrote:
    I wish i could stay on the turbo for that long!
    i get bored after 1 hour... :(

I get bored after 15 minutes - which is why I only ever use them for tabata sessions and nothing else.

Unless it's snowing/raining hard/gale force winds/below freezing - go out.....
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    What a waste. If you had over 2 hours you should have gone out for a proper bike ride. For once I agree with P_Tucker - why on earth would you do a long turbo session in the spring/summer?
    More problems but still living....
  • The getting out in the summer and staying off the turbo sounds great in theory.

Highland reality is that it is currently blowing dangerously hard so Hour of Power on the turbo it is.....

Having put the turbo away in April it has been out a lot recently for the same reasons.

Double Sufferfest gets rid of the boredom element I find as the concentration switches to survival!
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    edited May 2011
    amaferanga wrote:
    For once I agree with P_Tucker - why on earth would you do a long turbo session in the spring/summer?

Omnibus of coronation street?
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    The getting out in the summer and staying off the turbo sounds great in theory.

Highland reality is that it is currently blowing dangerously hard so Hour of Power on the turbo it is.....

Having put the turbo away in April it has been out a lot recently for the same reasons.!

You need to take your bra off and MTFU :twisted:
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    cadseen wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Out of interest, why? Long turbos should occur only when it's snowing and you can't get out on the bike.

last time i did it that long it was deep snow/ice for over a week

Same. Commando and Predator back to back - thank jesus for Arnie movies.
  • Zoomer37 wrote:
    The getting out in the summer and staying off the turbo sounds great in theory.

Having put the turbo away in April it has been out a lot recently for the same reasons.!

You need to take your bra off and MTFU :twisted:

Gosh- you must be one of those real tough guys! Wow.
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    I did it as :

a) I didn't fancy going out again in yet another gale
    b) was only planning a quick 1 hr session so reckoned I'd get better value on the turbo than out on the road. and most importantly
    c) I needed to be around the house as one of my kids was getting a lift home from a friends and so I needed to be home (needless to say my wife was out at work).

I hadn't planned on staying on so long, it just happened.
  • turboslave
    turboslave Posts: 178
    21/4hrs on the turbo watching lord of the rings eh! Now if only you had watched the trilogy, then I woud be impressed :wink:

Even in the winter I wouldn't do that long, still using it myself at the mo and will continue throughout the season but no more than an hour, I see it as an easy and quick couple of extra sessions a week coupled with 3-4 road sessions, I have to agree these strong winds are making it hard work and at least on the Tbo you can get a good quality controlled workout.

Dread to think how much liquids you lost during that time, best of luck to you.

atb
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    TBH given the circumstances it sounds fairly sensible.
    Depending on what training I have planned, if circumstances dictate that I can't actually leave the house for around an hour or so then I'd hit the turbo too.
    If the wind was as strong as we had about a week ago (Forth road Bridge was shut to all traffic for a time) then outdoors riding is probably not the most sensible option and it means you concentrate on the riding as opposed to worrying about the exact point that you have to turn around to head for home to get back in time but not too early (and thus wasting a precious minute of riding time)

2hrs+ is impressive - hope you had a good fan, even in the depths of winter, after 15 mins or so I'm sweating.

Here for some epic turbo sessions :
    http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/ ... 3.shtml#ht
  • stonehouse
    stonehouse Posts: 222
    Whilst I agree it's much better to get outside, there are a few of reasons why I still TT (in addition to the road) all year round.

1. I like to do at least one aerobic or recovery ride a week, short of riding a very short flat loop near where I live, there is no way that I can keep my HR in the aerobic zone on the road due to the hills.

2. If time is tight it is more time efficient to TT, I have a bike setup permanently, no faffing around getting everything in place and ready for riding on the road.

3. It's nicer for my other half if I'm not out on the road all the time.

4. The amount of wind we have had this year starts to grate, only had one non windy ride in two months!

5. I like to catch up on some TV, Tour of California, F1's etc that I otherwise wouldn't have time to see.