what hobbies have you got?

Comments

• Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    cycling, fishing, messing around with my 2001 Honda Insight resto project.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    welkman wrote:
    Trying to learn how to sail my international canoe, hiking, photography. I also really like taking things apart and putting them back together again.....

w

Ha ha are you still in the swimming stage? or can you keep her upright for a good length now. Took me nearly 6 months to get the hang of a moth.

I build instruments,harps and spinets at the moment hoping to move to woodwinds when i can afford a lathe.

I play oboe and am studying music theory. Cyclocross in the winter this year if i can scrounge a bike.

Other than that not a lot really.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Agent57 wrote:
    First-person shooters. Mostly Team Fortress 2 at the moment.

any nice hats :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Cycling, running, kayaking, knocking one out....
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    knocking one out....

That's just primitive reflex, not a hobby.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    kelsen wrote:
    That's just primitive reflex, not a hobby.

Hobby
    noun, plural -bies.
    1. an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation:

Ahh not a main occupation. Didn't realise that otherwise I wouldn't have posted it!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Hobbies:

Kids - doing stuff they wanna do
    Kids - Finding stuff for them to do

Running/Gym/Cycling when I get the time

Rifle or clay shooting once a week. or once a month.

In a previous life:

Played guitar for a rock band and played guitar for a "boy band" on tour.
    Riding on road and racing motorbikes
    Surfing
  • unscarred
    unscarred Posts: 208
    Haven't we had this topic before? Never mind, it's a good one.

I read lots (though not as much as I'd like to)

I'm studying for a masters degree in my spare time (does that count as a hobby?)

The occasional role playing game (of the geeky dice-rolling variety)

I have a young son who provides many hours of diversion and entertainment.

I plan lots of other hobbies for the mythical future when I will have time to do them.

Finally, me and the missus keep snakes. Much easier to look after than the baby!
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Cycling, watching a lot of sport (in terms of hours anyway, Cycling, football and F1 are time intensive sports to watch), and, when i get time to myself, play computer games.

Don't get a lot time for any of it, since I still try and be sociable and keep the GF happy, so I feel I don't really do any one of them properly.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Cycling, cadet stuff (although that seems to be getting more than just a hobby these days) watching cricket and recently started to enjoy the Aussie Rules football. :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Reading

Music: play saxophones and clarinets - regularly in a couple of groups and then play in the odd show

Music: listening - generally anything that's going

Photography
  • MonkeyMonster
    NGale wrote:
    Aussie Rules football. :D

Watching or playin? ;)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I used to play baseball and in the next field there was an Aussie Rules team. Crazy game.
    Makes Rugby look like a game for hairdressers.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Sailorchick
    Sailorchick Posts: 202
    Sailing. Takes up most of my time (and money) as I travel all over the UK and further afield competing. Other than that gym classes and reading.
  • NGale
    NGale wrote:
    Aussie Rules football. :D

Watching or playin? ;)

at the moment just watching, not exactly many teams down here in the south west to give the game a go.

and Eke, after the game I watched the other morning, even Jake said Rugby was a game for girls and he's played rugby union since he was a nipper. :lol:
  • NGale
    Sailing. Takes up most of my time (and money) as I travel all over the UK and further afield competing. Other than that gym classes and reading.

For sailing also read 'bottomless money pit' :lol: I see the amount Jake and his cousin spend on their sailing activities :shock:
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Did'nt someone once describe sailing as like "Standing in the shower, fully clothed, while tearing up £20.00 notes!" ?
    Graham.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Nah, that's offshore powerboat racing - the same principle applies though, only the denominations of the notes are slightly lower.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Agent57 wrote:

Passed a milestone this weekend:

1000hours.png
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Fly fishing, occasional golf, occasional shooting.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Cycling
    Music, gigs and listening
    football and rugby as a supporter than than participant these days
    MMA, watching and training
    cooking and visiting fine restaurants.. is that a hobby? as I certainly make a habit of it
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Graham. wrote:
    Did'nt someone once describe sailing as like "Standing in the shower, fully clothed, while tearing up £50.00 notes!" ?
    Graham.

FTFY

Easy way to increase the selling price is to add marine or boat to the title :)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • MonkeyMonster
    Agent57 wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

1000hours.png

Blimey, I'm a primeval warrior (and only 170) but that is silly hours... :D
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Used to do a lot of sailing, not so much when I moved down here which is ironic as I am a lot closer then I was in Birmingham.

Mostly cycling now, music film etc etc and photography, used to do it professionally as well as the video editing etc etc side to my last job but it was my own kit, couple of canon dslr's few pro lenses etc.
  • Agent57

I'm a primeval warrior too (September 17th, 2007), so I've had three and a half years to build up the time. Put like that, it's not so bad - between TF2 and Portal, The Orange Box was incredibly good value. :D

My mate has racked up more than 1800 hours -- more than 1000 on Demoman alone. /o\
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    none anymore. I used to dive but work sort of got in the way. still have all the kit, and have managed to convince myself i am frightened of diving now. not sure if i will sell the kit or have another go when i am a bit older and the kids have left home
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    " Passed a milestone this weekend:"

Is that a bit like passing a Gall stone?
    Graham.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

1000hours.png

I'm on 1597 hours now. \o/

By the way, I assume that was you on UKCS #3 last night. Didn't recognise the name, but there can't be many people who would know I'm Agent57 on Bikeradar. If it wasn't you, I have a stalker! :shock:
  • Shooting, skiing, photography and offshore yacht racing for me, though have got round the standing in the shower tearing up banknotes by just crewing for other people!
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Graham. wrote:
    Did'nt someone once describe sailing as like "Standing in the shower, fully clothed, while tearing up £20.00 notes!" ?
    I mostly gave up sailing (I14s) because I didn't have the time to do it justice, but it was an expensive hobby. You could buy an extremely nice bike with our annual sail budget, and that paled into insignificance compared with the travelling costs, especially the events outside Europe; bikes may be a pain to transport, but at least you don't have to pack them into shipping containers!
    Pannier, 120rpm.