Are you a Pro if you get paid?

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
edited June 2011 in Pro race
Sorry to post this here (but I know not all of you read through Cake Stop).

So - I'm getting funded now to ride for Ireland - does that make me a "pro" - or just an amateur?

OK - that aside.... what I'm really after is just a CLICK from you.

If you're on Facebook, could you please follow this link:

https://www.facebook.com/renaultireland ... 1161844356

All it is - is Renault Ireland will donate 1 Euro to Paralympics Ireland for each person that clicks LIKE. That's it. That's ALL you have to do. 5 days left - and you can delete them from your feed afterwards!

Help me get to London 2012 with a click. :)

Comments

• shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    So for I've won about £27 over the course of my cycling career, so I'm definitely a pro...

Clicked like for you!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Ask Divine Brown :wink:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    I would have clicked but I'm not on Facebook so sorry but I can't do it.

Professional cyclist! Well done!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Funded to a level that means you don't need a regular job = pro.

Funded, but still have to work a regular job = semi-pro.

Regular job and win £50 now and then = amateur.

My season winnings stands at £155 = very much an amateur....
    More problems but still living....
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    I once won a jumper and an orange as a prize at a cyclo-cross, and they were presented by Phil Liggett = pro...
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    There was a period when i was being paid travel miles to another place of work. I cycled there, and was thus paid. My LBS assured me that as I was being paid to cycle, I was a pro. :D
    This gave me an enormous amount of pleasure, probably 'cos I have a sad, boring life.

GOOD LUCK POKERFACE! I've clicked on the link, and I'll keep doing so every hour or so (if it'll let me)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hmmm, based on how much you're funded due to your results compared to how much I get paid for my job, I would very definitely say pro!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    amaferanga is the sensible correct answer (the same principle applies to my sax playing, I get paid for it, I'm better than kenny G (not hard) but I have a day job to pay the mortgage so I'm not a pro)

SheffSimon is the realworld hardman pro in this thread, an orange and a jumper from the big man, win.
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Pokerface
    Interesting factoid: my funding is for training and equipment. Not living expenses. Therefore the government doesn't consider it income or me to be professional.

Thanks to those that clicked through and keep them coming!
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Technically, isn't the Pro /Amateur distinction now obsolete? Instead those who race at the highest levels are all 'Elites'.

There have certainly been plenty of cases of riders racing in top-level 'pro' events for little more than a jersey and a bike, pretty much living in squalor in order to be able to race. On the other hand there have been plenty of 'amateurs' who earned pretty decent money.

I guess your 'profession' is whatever it is you do that keeps a roof over your head!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Most elites in this country might get the luxury of a bike, kit and race entries and the rest of the earnings might be down to prize money. From a sponsors perspective, it's far easier to contribute kit and support rather than ca$h because it looks like you're giving more.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    SheffSimon wrote:
    I once won a jumper and an orange as a prize at a cyclo-cross, and they were presented by Phil Liggett = pro...
    :D
    My old fella rode grass track races in the 1930's/40's and he tells me he won a chip pan and a biscuit barrel - he's still got the biscuit barrel!

Sorry - not on Facemuck so can't help I'm afraid.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I wonder if Renault Ireland will figure out why so many brits like them?

clicked for you anyway :-)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    amaferanga wrote:
    Funded to a level that means you don't need a regular job = pro.

Funded, but still have to work a regular job = semi-pro.

Regular job and win £50 now and then = amateur.

+1
    could not agree more.

Best running of my life was a half marathon victory over 1700 participants. I won 16 huge gorgeous unbelievably sweet beautiful peaches. Prob more than £16 there.
    Amateur.
  • Pokerface
    http://637daystogo.blogspot.com/2011/06/i-dont-normally-ask-for-much.html

I hate asking for help – of any kind. But this time it's a little different.

The link to my blog tells the whole story, but essentially I need to help raise funds for the Irish Paracycling team to get us to the London 2012 Games. And will doing a 100km charity ride to do my part.

And so... if you have ever read my blog, laughed at my posts on Facebook or Bike Radar, ridden with me for fun or against me in competiton - or just would like to support the Irish Paracycling squad, please follow this link and donate ANYTHING. I mean it – ANYTHING.

http://www.mycharity.ie/event/colin_lynchs_event/

Thank you in advance to anyone that helps out. And don't forget – I'll be making my way to Ireland on July 2 (at my own cost) to ride 100km to raise this money!
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Sounds like cool runnings, except without the humour.
  • You really are a massive c*ock tucker
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    rhnb wrote:
    SheffSimon wrote:
    My old fella rode grass track races in the 1930's/40's and he tells me he won a chip pan and a biscuit barrel - he's still got the biscuit barrel!

quote]

Belly laughing at that one - Your Dad is a pro.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    P_Tucker wrote:

Just like most of your posts then
  • procyclist
    procyclist Posts: 50
    P_Tucker wrote:

:lol: funniest thing I've read on this forum yet.

Full time pro cyclists - very few and far between in this country.
    Even a bog standard rouleur in a continental team would struggle to make anything other than a small five figure sum a year. The odd one or two can make millions, and that kiddies is why drugs are so popular
  • Wulz
    Wulz Posts: 100
    Getting paid will not make you a pro.

Posting in this sub forum will defo make you a pro.

So i guess seeing as this is my first post in pro race, im a pro too......goody.

Thats just made my week.

Good luck with the ireland endeavour.

• yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    If Gilbert wants 20 Euro a mile, perhaps I need to renegotiate my contract. And I bet he doesn't have to buy his own bikes

20p a mile (Derbyshire County Council bike rate for travel expenses) my current fee.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    If Gilbert wants 20 Euro a mile, perhaps I need to renegotiate my contract. And I bet he doesn't have to buy his own bikes

20p a mile (Derbyshire County Council bike rate for travel expenses) my current fee.

Forget Gilbert. Chris Hoy must get at least £1,000 a mile.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    RichN95 wrote:

Forget Gilbert. Chris Hoy must get at least £1,000 a mile.

But on the other hand, Gilbert has never had to suffer the indiginity of endorsing Bran Flakes.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    LangerDan wrote:
    But on the other hand, Gilbert has never had to suffer the indiginity of endorsing Bran Flakes.

This is what the future has in store for Gilbert:

boonenmeat.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Or Sidi cycling shoes:

TomBoonenGladiatoreNorthwavevi.jpg
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    Or Sidi cycling shoes:

TomBoonenGladiatoreNorthwavevi.jpg

Bet Northwave's marketing team think that was money well spent :wink:
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    Genuine question - if the Irish paracycling governing body won't put up or raise sufficient funds to cover their riders expenses why should the man on the street?
    I would not enter say, the masters worlds in St Johann with no means of covering my expenses.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Go Colin Go!

Em, do we have to go through the whole Olympic lottery thing to get tickets for the paralympics?
  • Pokerface
    celbianchi wrote:
    Genuine question - if the Irish paracycling governing body won't put up or raise sufficient funds to cover their riders expenses why should the man on the street?
    I would not enter say, the masters worlds in St Johann with no means of covering my expenses.

I will be able to get to the World's and the Paralympics. However, there are lots of other things from additional training camps to smaller races that our budget probably won't cover.

Simply put - these are tough times all around and we (the riders) have been asked to try and help raise additional funds. Our budget was cut massively this year (probably due to the massive debt in Ireland).

If you feel that strongly - then don't donate. 99% of people reading this won't. Some good people will. If every poster donated just 2 euro I'd easily reach my meager target of 500 euro.