Cycling for fitness when time is limited.

JonClean
JonClean Posts: 133
For various reasons (the main one being two children under three), my riding is pretty much restricted to my daily commute.

That is 10 miles into work, 10 miles back, relatively flat, with a 300 meter incline back in to the village on the home stretch.

I do that 5 days a week, with the odd interruption. I’m not really finding the time for any riding at the weekends and the need to get home to help with the kids’ bathtime/bedtime stops me from taking the long route home.

I want to use my cycling to build my fitness in general, as well as doing several longer rides this summer: Oxford to Cambridge = 88 miles, Blenheim Sportive = 60 miles, Oxford to Dorset ≈ 90 miles, plus maybe some others.

Ideally, I would be using the weekends to do some longer rides to gradually build up some distance.

But without that really happening at the moment, I’m wondering whether my ten 10 mile rides per week is going to be enough?

Is there anything I can do, training wise, along those 10 mile stretches that will help with endurance for the longer rides?

At the moment my concern is that no matter how many miles I put in in 10 mile chunks, suddenly jumping on the bike and cycling 8 times that distance will be a bit of a shock to the system.

Any advice from similarly time-poor cyclists out there would be much appreciated.
<b><font><font> For disappearing acts, it\'s hard to beat what happens to the eight hours supposedly left after eight of sleep and eight of work.</font></font></b>

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Can you not leave for work early and do a longer ride into work.

What about agreeing to some time to yourself to do a longer ride home one evening a week, or so freetime at the weekend to get a quick 50-60 miler in, again leaving very early and getting back early.

In return perhaps you can babysit whilst your missus goes out with friends etc. You both need free time away from the kids IMO.

Thats how me and the wife manage things, and I can spend alot of time training.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I don't think you can become comfortable with long rides without doing long rides.

I'd agree with SBezza - with a bit of compromise you should be able to fit at least one longer ride in each week. All you need is 3 or 4 hours.
    More problems but still living....
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Do a deal with missus - with all the cycling your doing you might find than 1 much longer ride every 10-14 days is enough to get your bum/head used to riding a long way.
    You probably have the basic fitness already - its more a mental thing of getting used to being out such a long time, eating & drinking etc....
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Oh - and I forgot - perhaps you and teh missus could get the nippers onto child carriers /a bike trailer and go off for long leisurely rides and a picnic together. me & hubby used to with twins - the extra weight made for great training , we were together, had a nice time etc.
  • JonClean
    Thanks people. So, basically, the advice is: by hook or by crook, find a way to get out and do the longer rides. I could've guessed that I suppose.

But is there also anything I can do even with the 10 mile stretches, in terms of the way I ride them that will also help? Fast? Slow & steady? Intervals? Just push it as hard as I can?

Anyway, deals will be struck and journey-home-extension certificates will be applied for this weekend.

Plus:

As SBezza suggests, maybe I'll get up earlier and find a longer route in, but by god that will be a challenge. I am not a 'morning person'.

As the evenings get even longer, I can go out for a ride after bathtime/bedtime..

And as ut_och_cykla says, we'll get the kids on the bike seats this summer. The littlest one isn't quite big enough yet, but another 4 weeks and we'll be out I reckon. We've got everything we need.

I reckon my fitness is okay-ish. I could do with losing weight. But I've done the 80 mile plus distances before - I just want to be able to do them faster and in more comfort.
    <b><font><font> For disappearing acts, it\'s hard to beat what happens to the eight hours supposedly left after eight of sleep and eight of work.</font></font></b>
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You can certainly make good use of your 10 mile commutes in addition to the long rides. Depending on the terrain/traffic you can do interval workouts some days - Google '2x20 threshold'.
    More problems but still living....
  • legendary27
    legendary27 Posts: 40
    Trying to answer the question that you originally asked, I would suggest that intervals will definitely help you. Ten miles is quite tight, but there will be time to do a quick warmup, then say five or six 30-second intervals flat out, varying the recovery interval as required. If you do this a couple of times a week, say Tuesday and Thursday, it will help. You can vary the length and effort of your intervals depending on how you feel - going from 30-second intervals flat out, to all the way in at a high percentage of your maximum effort, say 80-90%. Slow and steady does not really apply, given the distance you are travelling, though it will be required on the days after your harder interval efforts !

That said, I would still second what others are saying about coming up with a solution that allows you periodic longer rides. I am in a similar position to you, with my commute being my main source of miles. If I want to get more miles in, I get up earlier - it is not that hard when you know that cycling is the reason for doing so. If I want to do a weekend ride, I get up at half five. That way I can get significant miles (70+) in whilst still being home by mid-morning. Some things are worth the extra effort ! :D

If you have two children under three (I have one at six and one under three) you should be use to early rises !!! :wink:

Regards,
    Gordon
  • JonClean
    The early rides are beginning to look like a good option.

But one more question - what do you eat at that time of the morning?

I'm thinking along the lines of doing a 30 mile route into work instead of my usual 10.

I don't normally eat before the 10 mile route, but I reckon I probably should if I'm going 30 shouldn't I?

Can't think of all that much I'll fancy at 5:45am...
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Another vote for early morning rides. I set off around 0715 on a Sunday morning and do 3 to 4 hours so I'm easily back before lunch.
  • roddixon
    roddixon Posts: 100
    Funny, I have almost exactly the same problem... well my commute is 11 miles and our first daughter is just over 3 years, but otherwise spot on.

I tend to have a big bowl of muesli at about 5:15am then off at 6ish. I also find that I need a snack at around 9-10am (usually a banana).

30 miles before work! blimey, I thought I was thinking big when I extended my run to 14! good luck, hope the kids let you sleep as you'll probably need it too :)
  • JonClean
    roddixon wrote:
    30 miles before work! blimey, I thought I was thinking big when I extended my run to 14! good luck, hope the kids let you sleep as you'll probably need it too :)

Yeah, well, this morning I was all geared up for it, set the alarm for 5:45, got everything absolutely ready to the point of having the water bottle filled and on the bike, cycling clothes laid out, you get the idea.

Did I do it? Did I f.....
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Turbo.... it seems to work for other familiy oppressed men I know when they let me down for a training ride outdoors... :wink:
  • ded
    ded Posts: 120
    JonClean wrote:
    Yeah, well, this morning I was all geared up for it, set the alarm for 5:45, got everything absolutely ready to the point of having the water bottle filled and on the bike, cycling clothes laid out, you get the idea.

Try harder you must, young skywalker.... :twisted: I've got 3 kids, oldest 7, youngest 1 and a bit, job, wife, house - you just need to put a bit of effort in:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/86395656

That's 30 miles before work, home, shower, breakfast, kids to school, then go to work (although I admit my standard commute is only 2.5 miles... )

Turbo works too, but it is *dull*....
  • roddixon
    roddixon Posts: 100
    JonClean wrote:

:lol: Maybe gradually increasing the distance would be easier to justify to yourself in the early hours, mind over matter n' all.

I too am contemplating a turbo trainer.... :oops: